Thread: Angled backs.....

Thumbs up Angled backs.....

Gentlemen.....I want to pick your brains. In the past we have had our wings square to the LOS. I've seen others have them cocked about 45 deg. Square, i feel anyway, you don't know which way the back is going. Does having them angled have any effect when they are trying to reach block or get outside? Do you see it help or hurt the down block? Do you see wasted movement (false steps) that throws off timing? I'm just looking to see what others prefer and what the thinking is behind it so I can ponder what I will have our guys do.

Thanks for the info.
    "If it is allowed, it is encouraged."

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconKlemme View Post
    Gentlemen.....I want to pick your brains. In the past we have had our wings square to the LOS. I've seen others have them cocked about 45 deg. Square, i feel anyway, you don't know which way the back is going. Does having them angled have any effect when they are trying to reach block or get outside? Do you see it help or hurt the down block? Do you see wasted movement (false steps) that throws off timing? I'm just looking to see what others prefer and what the thinking is behind it so I can ponder what I will have our guys do.

Thanks for the info.
    After being around Wing T for "number" of years I have been fortunate to coach many different tweaks in this style of offense. For a number of years Buck Sweep was a big part of our attack and aligning the WB's in "angled" position was very conducive to down blocking and going in motion away. Since 1998 we have been heavy in Jets/Rockets and aligning Slots square definitely helped us reach block plus art release. Just my thoughts ...

I agree with Denny! The alignment/ stance of the Wings should help them with their assignments. As a heavy Jet/ Rocket team, we use a WR stance with our wings. This stance allows our wings to Motion, Arc, Insert or Release on a Route. Identify what you want to do, and align them accordingly.

Completely agree as well. We picked up our stances from Chuck Apap years ago at a clinic. The wingbacks have toes straight ahead with their inside foot staggered to the instep of the outside foot. hands placed flat on top of the thighs. The fullback is in the same stance except his toes are even.

Quote Originally Posted by 33Belly View Post
    Completely agree as well. We picked up our stances from Chuck Apap years ago at a clinic. The wingbacks have toes straight ahead with their inside foot staggered to the instep of the outside foot. hands placed flat on top of the thighs. The fullback is in the same stance except his toes are even.
    That is the traditional Delaware stance for Wings. As mentioned, with passing attack and Jet and Rocket blocking by Wings I see no advantage of cocking wings in.

Bryan
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

Quote Originally Posted by 33Belly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksweep View Post
    That is the traditional Delaware stance for Wings. As mentioned, with passing attack and Jet and Rocket blocking by Wings I see no advantage of cocking wings in.

Bryan
    This is the stance that I teach/use. I have heard, and respect, the idea that cocking the WB helps with that down block on Buck, but is it necessary? I don't think so. When a G is supposed to block down, does he head to LOS and line up cocked? No, he is always square, and still executes the down block.

I do think that angling the backs looks cool.
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

Default Angled Backs

Which is better? I think it's "personal preference." We've always angled our Wings... why? Cuz when I ran the Single Wing in middle school back in the days before face masks!!! (just kidding! Early 60's) Our coach had the Wing angled in. It's one of the few things that I did adopt from my initial meetings with Tubby and his staff in the late 80's. But.. as I said, I'd already seen how a Wing aligned from my playing days with the single wing.
    By the way... We have had absolutely NO problem with our Wing releasing outside to reach, arc or release for a pass! No false steps- no problems. It's all in how you coach.
    Plus.. I too think it looks cooooool to tilt them in!!!

We have aligned them both ways & had no issue either way with blocking down, releasing, or reach blocking. We started with angling but as we got more into throwing, we adjust to straight ahead with the inside foot back slightly but we have effectively coached it either way. Its more mental than physical IMO.

Thread Information