Thread: Bird Dog and "2nd step"

Default Bird Dog and "2nd step"

Somebody noted the other day that I sought out Coach Erd for a clarification on something to do with our Wing T. He answered! and confirmed what I suspected. Lemme 'splain...

I wrote about the importance of "Bird Dogging" linemen's steps. Coach Erd' confirmed for me how important the SECOND step is too!!!

I was helping (last week) at this local team that's installing the Del. Wing T this spring. We were working on Waggle. Now... we block Waggle a little different than the way it's drawn up in the U of Del. playbook! Our play-side OT NEVER blocks down on a man on the adjacent OG. The OT's job is to "Capture the Outside Wing" of the man ON or (just) outside of him. Yes, I know! Kinda radical. I've got the rules for it if you'd like them. Email me at LZJ111@verizon.net. Suffice it to say, this blocking scheme reallllllllllly helps us get our QB out on the flank!!

Anyway... I noticed that their OT was not getting the 5 tech reached so the QB could get outside. I watched him more closely and realized that his first step was fine; i.e., he got a good lateral step (*though Coach Erd recommends a "fire" step at 45 degrees) on his FIRST step but... his second step was "inside" of the defender and thus he could not get the "hip swing" to pin the guy inside. The DE just slid off to the OT's outside and was up in the QB's face.

Coach Erd says that the SECOND step needs to be a drive step with the OT's inside leg so that his knee is "punching" the DE's groin... so that he is still moving outside. With that he slides his head across and "pins" the guy with his INSIDE forearm and shoulder.

My question to Coach Erd was, "Is it ok to "cross over" with the second step? Or... just shuffle parallel till you capture that outside wing?" He advocates a much more aggressive position where the OL is "attacking" the outside shoulder... right now! Don't position step the guy or he'll beat you.

The point: The SECOND step in working a "Bird Dog" drill (and even the 3rd step!) is just as important as the first step. Be sure you work on them too!

Anyway... I noticed that their OT was not getting the 5 tech reached so the QB could get outside. I watched him more closely and realized that his first step was fine; i.e., he got a good lateral step (*though Coach Erd recommends a "fire" step at 45 degrees) on his FIRST step but... his second step was "inside" of the defender and thus he could not get the "hip swing" to pin the guy inside. The DE just slid off to the OT's outside and was up in the QB's face.

Coach Erd says that the SECOND step needs to be a drive step with the OT's inside leg so that his knee is "punching" the DE's groin... so that he is still moving outside. With that he slides his head across and "pins" the guy with his INSIDE forearm and shoulder.

Coach
    Coach Erd is 100% correct. The fire step and 2nd step to groin is a huge difference maker not only for the waggle, but it is the same technique used on Rocket and Jet. Let me add couple other reasons why:
    1. 5 technique reads the first step of OT. Lateral or reach step by OT automatically makes him get outside in a hurry. However, Fire Step does not give the 5 tech the same read. He does not know if it is belly, waggle or rocket etc.

2. Speed Variance. In most cases the 5 tech is much faster than the OT, however, the OT is stronger than the 5 tech. With a lateral step you are catering to the 5 techs strength and the tackles weakness. OT loses his power and also creates more separation between him and the 5 tech. 5 tech can get up the field and pretty much get by him before the OT second step is in the ground. With a fire step there is no Separation and OT has his one strength emphasized with that step and his hands are on the 5 tech and the second step described by Coach secures the 5 tech.
    Good luck
    Coach Wright

Lew,

Wholeheartedly agree on the footwork extending beyond 1 step.

I think it's important too, to have carryover into the Oline drill work so they are forced to step, step and drive.

As much as I think it's important for great footwork, I find the #1 improvement we've made is film study to supplement the footwork, to show the boys "ya see here, you don't use a down step on 21. You see how the defender beats you to the gap, you see now, how the backside guard gets picked off?" We've had some good, honest, lightbulb* moments with kids who keep hearing down, gap, six inches, face in front and all that, but it may not click until they see film of the step's value.

Then we go back to the bird dog, and they "get it".

Talk it. Chalk it. (show a clip). Walk it. 3/4 speed it. Run it in team work.

Default 2nd step

Great words of wisdom, guys! Keep it coming!!!
    You young(er) coaches don't know how important this information is for you. Utilize these veteran Wing T coaches expertise!!!

We would use the same technique on both blocks. We would fire step @45 aiming for the outside hip. The second step we would step between his legs firing at his crotch with our inside knee and striking a blow with the inside flipper with our nose in his armpit. We would now use the outside arm arm and our neck to try and pin him inside. I am not in favor of any crossover steps or shuffle steps. I want our guys to get on them as quick as they can and stick on them. I found position stepping helps the defense.

Coach ERD

Here is a copy of my response to Lew. I tell our guys to be quick and stick. If we're on them and they try to run just move your feet and let the back figure it out. On our 2nd step we're trying to get our nose in the outside armpit so we can use our neck to try and slip outside and pin him. By either pumping the outside arm to help gain leverage or slamming your outside hand into his hip or rib cage if he exposes you should be able to pin him. As Coach Wright put it any position step helps the defense. They are taught to read this and that's what they do all day.

That being said you can also use this to your advantage at times. If you know the DL is a good reader and lets say you're the RT and need to get an inside position on a drive block. A quick 6" step with your right foot to the outside and then a quick 6" step with the left foot straight ahead and a strike with the 3rd step an right flipper will get you that inside position. I know it's 3 steps instead of 2 but if done quickly you will gain the position you want.

We worked extensively in the off season on the feet of our OL and really the entire team. IMO you cannot jump rope enough. Invest in a ladder for the field or paint one on the floor of your weight room and be creative. Do bench jumps. We would do a 5 minute circuit after a quick flex to get the heart pumping and warm up the muscles but also to work on our foot quickness.

Rich Erdelyi

Thread Information