Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perfecting Fullback Trap

Default Perfecting Fullback Trap

I'm doing some off-season research and I need your help. Give me your thoughts on what you do and HOW you do it to perfect Fullback Trap.
    Thx,
    Lew

2. Default

Coach,
    Great Topic. We love the FB trap. It was a really good play for us this year.
    Here is the way we do it, and I'm interested in how other do it as well.

1. Our FB is in a 3 point stance - I know others go out of a 2 point, but the trap is one of the reasons that we are always in a 3 point... trap will hit faster. We also run a lot of 30's and the 3 point is good for that as well. It makes belly steps a little tougher, but with work (like anything) the FB's can do it well.

2. Our OLine gets wider splits. We will widen to three feet across on trap if the D will keep coming out with us. Typically we will run it with splits about 2-2.5 feet though. If we are running buck, we tighten a bit 1.5 - 2 feet. Even if its 6-8 inches wider, it gives us a little more room to operate with the trap.

3. Our OLine gets as deep a vertical split (off the ball) as possible. We do this on all plays, but it helps with the PSG and PST getting good releases and not be jammed up by DLinemen. We teach our linemen to put their hand down on the OC's heels.

4. We teach our trapper (BSG) to get his second step across the L.O.S. I don't think we ever actually get it there, but in trying to do so, we end up with the proper angle to trap the first thing outside of the PSG's Down block. We play some teams that are pretty good at squeezing down with inside releases and the angle of the puller is imperative. The trap must be made with the correct shoulder (right shoulder when pulling right, left shoulder left).

5. We teach our TE to inside release and block LB to Safety. Our rule has been to have the TE block the nearest LB if there are 3 LB's inside the TE box and to go Block Safety if only 2 LB's inside. We are discussing changing this, as we have had some 9 tech's fall in and make the tackle on trap (always after we've gained yards though). So I'd like to hear what other do with the TE.

6. PST's rule is BACKER. He always blocks the first LB inside of him. PST must inside release if he has a head up 4 technique.

7. PSG's rule is DOWN - BACKER. If we face a 0 tech nose, then he doubles with the OC, if it is an even front he inside releases the DT and blocks LB. If a 42 look it is usually the backside ILB.

8. FB must learn what the block is upfront. If it is a 50 look, the FB will make a cut to the play side off the double team of the nose. If it is an even front, the path is straight north and south through to LB level (then be an athlete)

9. Got to coach up the fakes of the HB and the QB. Those guys have to burst with speed and explosiveness in order to get defensive eyeballs to follow them. If we can slow down a DB or an LB for a split second, that can make the play go for a TD.

10. We run trap with all kids of backfield sets and motions. We run it with an offset FB, we run it with two SE's and no TE. We run it with rocket motion behind it, with regular wing T motion, and with no motion.

Great Wing T play!

I battle with my line coach on what the BST does. What do you do?

A lot of people are afraid to run Gut but it is a great play for the squeezing DT and reading LBs.

We have never been good at trapping long against a 1 tech.
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

4. Default

We have our BST block nearest LB. He must keep his head up because if that BSLB is blitzing, then his technique turns into our traditional pull cover technique. But otherwise, as long as he inside releases vs. a 4 technique, no one on the backside can get it in time and vs. a 40 you have the OC block back. A Bear front can give you issues, one way we've done it is to block the OC back on the backside 3 tech, the PSG down on the Nose, and trap the frontside 3 tech. You lose the block on the BSLB, but usually those teams have the backers widened out and we can still sneak through.

We do run gut vs. 40 teams that read our G's. It has worked well.

Vs. a 1 tech we have not been good at trapping long either. What we often do is have the QB check the play to the opposite side. We then have the FB and QB and line block trap the other way. We keep the fake the same which means you lose a lot of the mesh and our buck and waggle fakes are not as good. (it's pretty hard on the QB because we have him waggle away from where the buck fake goes so it is really different for him). But this has worked better for us than down blocking the 1 tech and trapping long.

Default Trap

Good stuff guys... thanks!
    I'll throw in a comment about blocking a 1 tech. One of my Wing T mentors was phenomenal at running Trap! He based everything off of Trap--- i.e., you had to stop trap first! He always said, "Blocking a 1 tech is no problem... but you have to practice it." His drill was interesting! During pre-practice, he would have his C's and G's with him and 2 big blocking dummies. While the G, C, G were working, 2 back up's held the bags. They'd start in 3 and 1 so it was "standard" alignment. But on the next rep, he moved the bags to 2's (head up). Next rep: 1's. Next rep... squeeze even tighter! To the point that both bags were on the C's shoulders!!! and he still expected the G who was trapping to get in there and "dig out" the DT! The kids had so much confidence in their ability to block a 1 that he'd call Trap even if he saw the old fashioned wide tackle 6! and... as Coach Pike said: he felt the key was getting the Full to hit that thing as supersonic speed!!!

6. Default

My question for all of you is when to use trap towards motion or trap away from motion? Is there a specific LB you watch or # of LB's to determine whether or not you should trap towards motion or away from motion? We are a jet/rocket/belly/option team and only ran trap away from motion as a counter to hold the ILB's on jet/rocket but wonder if we should trap towards motion and in what situations.

7. Default

Belding 1995-996
    Irv Sigler
    One of the Best T coaches ever
    Trap--Power--Keep
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRWsOSzONIM

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CoachSturm View Post
    My question for all of you is when to use trap towards motion or trap away from motion? Is there a specific LB you watch or # of LB's to determine whether or not you should trap towards motion or away from motion? We are a jet/rocket/belly/option team and only ran trap away from motion as a counter to hold the ILB's on jet/rocket but wonder if we should trap towards motion and in what situations.
    I think it can vary a lot. There are a lot of different things teams can do to motion. Some teams will cheat that ILB who is aligned away from the mo to it when it goes, and then have him sit inside there, trap away from the motion is good there because it works like a counter in that case and he is hard to get when we run it to mo.
    We also like trap away from they mo when teams fire their back side OLB off the edge from where the mo left. That way that OLB can't fall into the play late.
    Trap to the motion works for Teams that rotate their secondary to motion.

Traditionally with an Irv Sigler wing t style team we would "SEAL" or reach block to the hip of the center to seal of any leakage through the A-B gap. If you face a DT that is good reader, your trap can get blown up if you don't get threat taken care of.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by lewjohnston View Post
    Good stuff guys... thanks!
    I'll throw in a comment about blocking a 1 tech. One of my Wing T mentors was phenomenal at running Trap! He based everything off of Trap--- i.e., you had to stop trap first! He always said, "Blocking a 1 tech is no problem... but you have to practice it." His drill was interesting! During pre-practice, he would have his C's and G's with him and 2 big blocking dummies. While the G, C, G were working, 2 back up's held the bags. They'd start in 3 and 1 so it was "standard" alignment. But on the next rep, he moved the bags to 2's (head up). Next rep: 1's. Next rep... squeeze even tighter! To the point that both bags were on the C's shoulders!!! and he still expected the G who was trapping to get in there and "dig out" the DT! The kids had so much confidence in their ability to block a 1 that he'd call Trap even if he saw the old fashioned wide tackle 6! and... as Coach Pike said: he felt the key was getting the Full to hit that thing as supersonic speed!!!
    Coach,
    If we get consistent 1 techs or even pinching 2s we just run our trap one hole wider (kids audible to it) we will pin the 1 tech with PSG and kick out the next man.

Bob

Thread Information