Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Perfecting Fullback Trap

1. Default

How many of you block ON with the TE on Trap? Our TE's rule is LB to Safety...but we might change it.

Do you block anything differently on the play side if its Tackle Trap?

TE second level on trap, stays on tackle tap (I found the DE got into the play if we did not block him.
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

The sweep fake & the QB waggle fake is supposed to hold them. If that is not happening, work on your fakes. "A GOOD FAKE IS WORTH 2 BLOCKS"!

4. Default

In watching the Army-Navy game, Army ran some trap away from motion so it worked like a counter. One of the things I noticed was they had the PST pop up with a high hat and delay a little so it looked like pass - then he went to the ILB. He did it quickly. It made the 4 tech start upfield and he was easy to trap.
    Do any of you do this against well-coached, hard-reading DLINEmen? I wondered if the timing would work with regular trap. Army hit it pretty quick, but I still don't know if we could get our T's to execute it fast enough.
    We do have problems trapping those 4 techs when they really squeeze. In the past we have just logged him and had the FB run outside of it, but it doesn't always work well.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by coachpike View Post
    In watching the Army-Navy game, Army ran some trap away from motion so it worked like a counter. One of the things I noticed was they had the PST pop up with a high hat and delay a little so it looked like pass - then he went to the ILB. He did it quickly. It made the 4 tech start upfield and he was easy to trap.
    Do any of you do this against well-coached, hard-reading DLINEmen? I wondered if the timing would work with regular trap. Army hit it pretty quick, but I still don't know if we could get our T's to execute it fast enough.
    We do have problems trapping those 4 techs when they really squeeze. In the past we have just logged him and had the FB run outside of it, but it doesn't always work well.
    In a different system, we used to have the tackle do what we called "wrong step, LB". When his rule told him to block backer, he would step with his outside foot like he was basing the DL, the quickly rip underneath to backer. It helped set up the DL to be trapped. I havent thought about that in 10 years...

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmoot View Post
    In a different system, we used to have the tackle do what we called "wrong step, LB". When his rule told him to block backer, he would step with his outside foot like he was basing the DL, the quickly rip underneath to backer. It helped set up the DL to be trapped. I havent thought about that in 10 years...
    That's Exactly what I'm thinking. Currently, we teach a 6-Inch Lateral step with the inside foot and then rip with our arm, away from that 4 tech. We practice it a lot. It works against many teams, but some of the best 4 Tech's are really good at squeezing that release. What system were you in when you did it? Did it bother the timing of the trap?

7. Default

We were 2 TE wishbone. Double iso at the bubble. Counter trey as main misdirection.

Coach,
    Great Topic. We love the FB trap. It was a really good play for us this year.
    Here is the way we do it, and I'm interested in how other do it as well.

1. Our FB is in a 3 point stance - I know others go out of a 2 point, but the trap is one of the reasons that we are always in a 3 point... trap will hit faster. We also run a lot of 30's and the 3 point is good for that as well. It makes belly steps a little tougher, but with work (like anything) the FB's can do it well.
    Coach, this is the reason why I'm struggling to decide to move to 2 point stance when I've always worked for someone who did 3: fullback trap. Honestly, it was one of my favorite plays but we never ran belly out of it. I think it was because it was tough to run it. However, I almost want to stay in a 2 point stance exclusively because of trap.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 118pass View Post
    Coach, this is the reason why I'm struggling to decide to move to 2 point stance when I've always worked for someone who did 3: fullback trap. Honestly, it was one of my favorite plays but we never ran belly out of it. I think it was because it was tough to run it. However, I almost want to stay in a 2 point stance exclusively because of trap.
    I think it depends on what you are going to run the most. We do run Belly, and being in the 3 point stance is not an issue. But we happen to run more Buck (with trap + waggle) and Power + Counter Criss Cross stuff than we do Belly.
    If you are going to run Belly and Belly Sweep a lot... maybe a 2-point stance is better.
    I know a lot of the coaches that use the 2 point believe that it helps with the misdirection of the offense, because the FB is easier to see for the Defense.
    But we are in a 3 point exclusively and we like it... our belly works well and misdirection still gives teams problems.

I think it depends on what you are going to run the most. We do run Belly, and being in the 3 point stance is not an issue. But we happen to run more Buck (with trap + waggle) and Power + Counter Criss Cross stuff than we do Belly.
    If you are going to run Belly and Belly Sweep a lot... maybe a 2-point stance is better.
    I know a lot of the coaches that use the 2 point believe that it helps with the misdirection of the offense, because the FB is easier to see for the Defense.
    But we are in a 3 point exclusively and we like it... our belly works well and misdirection still gives teams problems.
    That's good to hear. I wish we ran more belly just to give defenses more to worry about on the weak side (along with buck to the weak) and I thought it was all about a 2 or 3 point stance.

Thread Information