Thread: New to the forum

Default New to the forum

Long time admirer of the Wing-T offense, first time poster. I'm here because I eventually want to coach the Wing T offense and soak up as much information as possible. I'm going to give you the short version of where I'm at in my life right now.

I'm essentially a free agent for the 2nd time in my life (1st time was when I came out of college) in the coaching world at the ripe old age of 33. I coached under a man who ran the Wing-T offense of Dennis Creehan and I eventually will coach my own team using the Wing-T offense as well. I'm not a novice when it comes to the Wing-T but I simply want different perspectives on how to run it. My goal for the next year is simply to soak up as much information as possible to eventually have an opportunity to interview/coach my own program and be as prepared as possible to go from the guy who knows the basics of Wing T to becoming an "expert."

That's where you guys come in and why I've signed up for this forum. I'm essentially wanting to soak up as much information as possible. As much as I would love to go the National Wing T clinic this year, I cannot make it happen. However, I'm trying to squeeze out a few weekends in March to visit some camps in the midwest. (I live in Indiana.)

I recently watched ALL 7 of the Herky Billings Wing-T Clinic videos on YouTube and took a ton of notes and I really enjoyed a lot of that information.

I suppose my next question is this: What would you guys recommend for me to read to catch up on the recent innovations of the Wing-T? Should I simply start reading up on the Delaware Wing-T from Tubby Raymond? What are the best clinics to attend? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated from the resident experts on this board. I look forward to being active here for a while.

Thanks for your time,
    118pass.

2. Default

My 2 cents...you will never know it all, and that's a good thing because you can't do it all.

I started with Raymond book and the Wing T A-Z books. But the best thing is running it and working through it. It's all good on paper bUT never in real life.

Welcome to the cult.

Edit....the Southeast wing t clinic has a weekend in chicago . March 24-25
    Last edited by Bigmoot; 01-06-2017 at 11:05 PM.

3. Default Coach

Coach we host a National Wing T football camp at Trine University June 8th, 9th and 10th. Our staff includes myself, Herm, Gerry and Bryan Gallagher and depending on numbers Blair Hrovat and Mike Johnson. Mike will have his team present along with 4-5 other teams from Indiana, Ohio and Michigan. You are welcome to come and be our guest. You will see individual, group and team drill progressions. We usually insert base Wing T concepts and then if teams want different schemes, out of the gun as an example we insert those during team periods with those specific teams. Please give me a call at 724-322-4983. I grew up with Denny and Herm as they both were assistants for my dad. When Denny took over for my Dad, Gerry was hired. Gerry is one of the best in the country and has passed those traits onto Bryan who started working camps with us 8-10 years ago and now has turned around his own program in New Jersey. I have been blessed to be surrounded by these guys my entire life. One trait they have all taught me is trying to help others learn this offense. Welcome to the Wing T family and let us know how we can help!
    Thanks
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmoot View Post
    My 2 cents...you will never know it all, and that's a good thing because you can't do it all.

I started with Raymond book and the Wing T A-Z books. But the best thing is running it and working through it. It's all good on paper bUT never in real life.

Welcome to the cult.

Edit....the Southeast wing t clinic has a weekend in chicago . March 24-25
    Yeah, I had that on my radar as well. That is during my Spring Break but I'm coaching baseball so I'm not sure I'll be able attend. I have to pick and choose here shortly.

And yes, I realize I can't work through it all. The toughest part is getting a core number of plays. However, I do want to add some plays like Jet Sweep to my offense. We never really ran much motion so I want to do that. I was very interested in the Waggle 2-receiver pass from Herky Billings.

THe biggest change I'd love to change is the fullback going from 3 point to 2 point stance. I want to do 2-stance but I'm still leery of making that change.

Quote Originally Posted by David McDonald View Post
    Coach we host a National Wing T football camp at Trine University June 8th, 9th and 10th. Our staff includes myself, Herm, Gerry and Bryan Gallagher and depending on numbers Blair Hrovat and Mike Johnson. Mike will have his team present along with 4-5 other teams from Indiana, Ohio and Michigan. You are welcome to come and be our guest. You will see individual, group and team drill progressions. We usually insert base Wing T concepts and then if teams want different schemes, out of the gun as an example we insert those during team periods with those specific teams. Please give me a call at 724-322-4983. I grew up with Denny and Herm as they both were assistants for my dad. When Denny took over for my Dad, Gerry was hired. Gerry is one of the best in the country and has passed those traits onto Bryan who started working camps with us 8-10 years ago and now has turned around his own program in New Jersey. I have been blessed to be surrounded by these guys my entire life. One trait they have all taught me is trying to help others learn this offense. Welcome to the Wing T family and let us know how we can help!
    Thanks
    David
    Thanks for the heads up coach. As I stated, I can only do so many camps this summer but I was unaware of this camp. I'll put it into consideration when I make up my schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by David McDonald View Post
    Thanks
    David
    You used the phrase "so many camps this summer." Well, I'd say hit this one early in the summer and you are done.
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

EXCELLANT CAMP! Worth the price of gold. PRICELESS! I have seen these coaches run their camp and in this time and age, you can not find better coaches to coach the Wing-T to your kids.

Thread Information