Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bucksweep from shotgun

Default bucksweep from shotgun

When running bucksweep from shotgun, the fb's block is missing in backside A gap. How do you account for this if playside and backside A gaps are filled by a defensive tackle? Pull only 1 guard? check out of play?

If i'm understanding ? Correctly you can handle this 2 way's Check block with center or shutoff backside DT with BST losing TD Block. What defensive alignment are we talking about.

3. Default

If it's me, I'm running another play. If they have double one techs, that B gap is begging for a Belly call.

Lets just call it 2 A gap defenders on the line. Could be 2 LBs blitzing A gaps. Could be 2 DTs in A gaps and 2 LBs blitzing B gaps. Normally the Center takes playside A and Fb takes backside A. In the shotgun it doesnt work that way. Do you have the playside guard stay? Check to another play. Have some sort of read built in?

When your running Buck from Gun you know there's no dive fake so certain things are different like center stepping play side. We run buck out of gun with a slot split to backside and TE-H to front with TB in b gap towards split side and we have a whole series of plays with rpo's off that one play. If i were having those issues i would start with check blocking with center and shutting off with bst if not both if there coming like that.

When running buck sweep from the gun, you no longer need the FB to fill the back side "A" gap. I also remember years ago when Rutgers used to run it from the gun. They used to have the QB fill like the FB did after he handed the ball off or had the QB run the sweep with the FB filling. Coach Erd at Carnegie Mellon always had the FB fill for the back side guard and the QB handed the wing, who would leave on the snap. I guess you could probably read the front side like midline in today's game.
    Last edited by jsanny; 01-19-2017 at 11:13 PM.

Here is how you can adjust to double A's. PSG makes a "stay" call and will block PS A gap. The stay call tells the bsg that he now kicks. With the stay call it allows to work to second level to pick up the LB or block the 3 tech if the A gap is threatened by a blitz.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 10.11.40 PM.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  15.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

Default wrinkles off of BS

Since we are talking about BS from the gun, lets discuss wrinkles off of it.

Lets use the way Bryan drew it up above but align in Trey Gun 100 (TE, Wing & Flanker Right) Run buck right but send the wing in motion (3 step/orbit) and read the Backside edge player for Handoff to the FB. If he chases pull and use the motion back as a pitch man.

Maybe a simple PA action of this can be curl/flat concept. WR runs curl, motion man is in the Flat (flair).

thoughts?
    Chris Cuomo
    Offensive Coordinator
    East Haven High School
    East Haven, CT

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Howling Wolves View Post
    Since we are talking about BS from the gun, lets discuss wrinkles off of it.

Lets use the way Bryan drew it up above but align in Trey Gun 100 (TE, Wing & Flanker Right) Run buck right but send the wing in motion (3 step/orbit) and read the Backside edge player for Handoff to the FB. If he chases pull and use the motion back as a pitch man.

Maybe a simple PA action of this can be curl/flat concept. WR runs curl, motion man is in the Flat (flair).

thoughts?
    We don't run Buck anymore, and we're not in the gun. However, we do run Midline. I'm sure you could leave the DT unblocked and read him.

The stay call was 1st adjustment i learned when introduced to Longtime West Haven HC Ed Macarthy's version of WT. IMHO if i have to lose FSG i'm not running Buck.Both guards out in front are imperative to the success and effectiveness of play.

Thread Information