Thread: Backside of Quick Game

Default Backside of Quick Game

What is everyone doing on the backside of their called quick game? We've done the BS Boot away from it but in the 4 years we've done it we've never gotten to the boot portion of it so we are looking at other options.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CoachSchelb View Post
    What is everyone doing on the backside of their called quick game? We've done the BS Boot away from it but in the 4 years we've done it we've never gotten to the boot portion of it so we are looking at other options.
    You could mirror routes with a SE/WB and to the TE/WB side run a stick concept. TE runs a stick route at 5, one high sit and 2 high run the out. The WB would run the bubble. Read inside out stick to bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachSchelb View Post
    Coach
    The boot aspect of the quick game is the best part and one year we had 6 TDs off of the boot alone. I would not be so quick to discard it.
    Coach Wright

Quote Originally Posted by JWright View Post
    Coach
    The boot aspect of the quick game is the best part and one year we had 6 TDs off of the boot alone. I would not be so quick to discard it.
    Coach Wright
    Jim,

Two "questions"

1- If you happen to run the quick game from a 2SE (Cowboy) do you mirror it or use BS Boot routes?

2- I know that the boot routes are the safety valve if you don't get a good look to throw the 3 step to. But it seems like when we call 3 step is only because we know we're getting an open alley to throw 3 step. It doesn't seem like we run into those situations where the defensive jumps around.

I spoke about our 3 step and 1 step game at several Glazier Clinics this year. We've been running the backside boot concept for years and you are correct in that quite often you never get to the boot but that's a good thing since your front side must be working. One thing I did in practice was to yell "BOOT" on the QB's 2nd step forcing him to do so regardless of what was happening play side. This put the boot aspect in his mind and also forced the back side guys to do their job because they get lazy sometimes thinking they'll not get the ball. This kept everyone on their toes since they never knew when I'd yell.

As far as running a concept on both sides...if you are doing this under center I believe it's difficult since the QB usually has his back to that flank. If you are in the Gun I believe it's possible as both a pre-snap read as well as a hot concept. When we are running our 5 out game we do this. If we are in Trips/TE/Gun we run our Y-Stick. The TE runs a Stick @6 reading the PSILB. If he blitzes the TE is getting the ball. If he doesn't, he wheels to the outside to get a high/low...inside/out on the OLB/SS withe the wing running an arrow to the flat no deeper than 3 and the flanker running a smash over the top. The SE back side runs a slant and the dive back runs a flare. The 5 linemen are responsible for the down or 5 linemen and the QB has the 2 ILB's. If there is no blitz it's a front side play usually to the TE. If either LB blitzes the ball is going that way NOW! The QB's steps are a quick left/right throw (If he's right handed). This was our go to 3rd & 3-5 play.

As always, write or call with questions.

Rich Erdelyi

Default backside of 3 step

Coach Schelb: We found an alternative to having the QB turn his back to the line and boot away when the play-side "window is closed!" It happens much quicker. Please email me if you'd like more info: LZJ111@verizon.net

When Blair Hrovat was at Alleghany, He used to pair up combination routes with the ones on the back side would be good vs. anything or better than running the patterns on the front side. The QB would take a pre snap read and decide which side to throw the ball.

Thread Information