Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moore's books....reviews

Default Moore's books....reviews

I have read Coach Elrod's books and had a few conversations with him. He mentioned Herschel Moore several times and I saw that Coach Moore has materials out there as well. I searched Bucksweep.com and found where people have thought very highly of Coach Moore's work. On another site I was at, it showed what was in several of his books. I did not see anything for Volume 2 of the Wing t and Moore though. Any info on Volume 2 would be great.

What does Coach Moore's work show better than other people's work? Are there teachings in there that are tough to find other places? I'm not new to wing-t or hybrid wing-t, but my role has changed on our team and I just want to learn and absorb as much as I can. I like the "build the block" calls that Coach E has and what looks like Coach Moore has too. Do these books have coaching points I can use to help make my athletes better in this type of system?

Thanks Coaches!!!
    "If it is allowed, it is encouraged."

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconKlemme View Post
    I have read Coach Elrod's books and had a few conversations with him. He mentioned Herschel Moore several times and I saw that Coach Moore has materials out there as well. I searched Bucksweep.com and found where people have thought very highly of Coach Moore's work. On another site I was at, it showed what was in several of his books. I did not see anything for Volume 2 of the Wing t and Moore though. Any info on Volume 2 would be great.

What does Coach Moore's work show better than other people's work? Are there teachings in there that are tough to find other places? I'm not new to wing-t or hybrid wing-t, but my role has changed on our team and I just want to learn and absorb as much as I can. I like the "build the block" calls that Coach E has and what looks like Coach Moore has too. Do these books have coaching points I can use to help make my athletes better in this type of system?

Thanks Coaches!!!
    Deacon
    Where do I start?
    My opinion is VERY BIASED so take it with a grain of salt.
    To give you an idea of how biased:
    Herschel Moore is my Tubby Raymond.

As young player in the 80s I played in traditional Wing T offense and was fortunate to be a part of two championship teams. During that time traditional wing t was cutting edge stuff. 80s/20s/30s series is what we ran. We had four formations we ran our stuff out of.
    100/900
    slot 100/900
    from 1983 to 1994 this was very successful there. Then something happened...the opponents caught on to it and the same coaching staff that had won 6 championships and 8 out of 10 winning seasons was now losing and when I say losing I mean for the next 15 years they did not have a winning season running the same offense. They had not won three games in 4 seasons at one point.
    I am offered the job and being a former assistant I knew more of the same was going to continue if I had stayed with the same scheme they were using. At this time I was an OC with a professional Semi-Pro league called the EFL. It was where recent college FB graduates would come and play to hone their skills and get another chance at the NFL. I had talent galore and won 3 EFL championships running the WEST COAST OFFENSE. We could throw it as good as we could run it. I became enamored with the offense and thought this will be great:
    1. The school district will be happy because there was a new coach with a new scheme.
    2. The new coach was thinking how could I lose with this great offense. I was winning big time with it here that should happen at high school as well.

Long Story Short that did not happen. I was losing worse than the old coaches. I needed something different and I needed it now.

ENTER WES ELROD and HERSCHEL MOORE
    -I told them above story and after they laughed for some time they began to tell me how I could have the best of both worlds. Something different but still as they say "WINGING IT"
    -I was like the disciples with Jesus. I did not question anything...just did what they told me to and jumped in with both feet and never looked back. So over the course of quite a few years I flew Wes here and I flew there and met with both coaches for days. I even had all of the hours of video recordings me and my staff took from those private meetings with Herschel at the whiteboard. This became an annual thing and If they spoke at a Glazier clinic within 6 hours distance I was there. Even went to Erie PA to see Herschel and Wes at the NWTC there. Had Herschel sign all of my books by him and spent as much time with him that I could. I spoke to him on the phone for hours on end with him always saying I want you to put this in or that in this year and the conversation ending with "If you do not then do not ever talk to me again. Your wasting my time" LOL!!!

So if your asking about Herschel Moore and what his stuff offers to you as an OC the only response is that they are priceless. He took these concepts that all of these coaches go around the country teaching at clinics and was a pioneer of it. To read his books is like getting a glimpse at a genius way ahead of his time. I personally think it is something that should be in every wing coaches library. There are very few coaches I hold in such high regard and if they author something I am going to buy it no questions asked:
    Wes Elrod
    Glen McNew
    Rich Erdelyi
    Herschel Moore
    These are living legends and what I love about all four men are they did it without athletes and the best circumstances. My program is living proof of how well these coaches systems worked. I like them do not have all of the best circumstances something I like to say when I speak clinics, but if it were not for those coaches not only would we have not won a championship or even games, I would go as far as to say we would not win games. So I would run to get those books. However, here is some advice:
    I apologize up front because I never got Shakespeare and so I am going to use this for an example:
    Herschel Moore is like Shakespeare his writings can be overwhelming and sometimes frustrating, however, Wes Elrod is like the cliff notes. I got Shakespeare because of cliff notes and then once I got the idea I went back to the original writings and truly appreciated the talent. I know you already have the cliff notes so getting the original will only help you appreciate MOORE.
    FINAL THING:
    What really separates Herschel from Wes and some of the others is his merging of the option game into the wing offense. This was something I really resisted at first and he will tell me time and time again that I was missing the boat on this. Well he was right about that to so make sure you get your hands on everything he has on option as well.
    Hope it helps and I hope your coming to the clinic in March. I think I have outdone myself on this one. Herschel would be proud.
    Coach Wright

Thanks. That was reassuring to hear. As I said, I want to absorb and learn as much as I can. Being an o-line guy and having to coach all the technique and ins and outs with kids who have little football IQ, I'm always looking for quality resources.

I will be there in PA in a few weeks and am looking forward to learning from you there as well.

Deac

I saw on a Wing T clinic's website all of Coach Moore's stuff a while back. I have all of his DVD's and found them to be great. Coach Elrod's stuff is great and a terrific place to start w/ the Hybrid Wing but Coach Moore's stuff fills in a lot of gaps including the passing game and option as Coach Wright said.

It's great stuff...

On a side note, when I first got hired as the head coach, I attended Coach Wright's clinic and used what I learned there (as well as from Coaches Elrod and Moore) to turn our program around. I owe a lot to him and commend his clinic to you.

I have been out to Jim's clinic in Pine Bush. It was 4 years ago or so and we too had success the year we installed the hybrid. 2nd trip to state in the schools long history. Then, things changed, frequently, with not great results.

I went and heard Coach Elrod once when he was doing a Glazier Clinic here in the Twin Cities and thought his stuff was quite interesting, but the OC at the time had his own vision of what he wanted things to be. Now, it's my turn and I believe that this is the route we can have success with, consistently.

Sounds like I have some purchases to make. Any info on Volume 2 of his book series?

Deacon
    That's great news. It will be worth your while. I will be able to cover all of the new techniques were using and the practice segment changes we discovered by accident that took this offense over the top.

Just wanted to add one other thing about their offense as well.
    2010 I flew in Dan Morrison from Hawaii and SMU and installed the run and shoot offense. I always thought the passing game is the great equalizer and so I jumped in with both feet and went to all 7 on 7 and won them and my confidence increased even more. Then we started the season. We went 0 and 8. The kids came to me and asked if we could play the last game with Coach Moore's offense. I asked if they remembered it and they said yes, so we go into the last game verse a playoff team and won our last game.

You would think I would have learned from this experience well I did not. 2014 I installed the Auburn wing scheme with hurry up no huddle etc...i went 0 and 4. This time my staff came to me asked me what drugs I was on. We went back to Coach Moore's offense and finished 3-0.

This year I learned my lesson and just did coach Moore's offense. Went 5-2 with 7 sophomore starters and lost in the semis to the eventual champ who also wss one of loses on the regular season.

So learn from my mistakes. Hybrid wing is king in my book and trust me I tested it out by switching to
    WCO....RNS.....AUBURN SPREAD....total wins Zero.
    Good luck
    Coach Wright

I've got Moore's first book I believe. A red 3 ring binder is what he sent. Can someone tell me how to get the rest of his stuff? Books, DVDs? I've got all of Ws's stuff and I've been to Coach Wright's clinic (the offseason leading into the Auburn experiment). Any help would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by morris View Post
    I've got Moore's first book I believe. A red 3 ring binder is what he sent. Can someone tell me how to get the rest of his stuff? Books, DVDs? I've got all of Ws's stuff and I've been to Coach Wright's clinic (the offseason leading into the Auburn experiment). Any help would be great.
    Coach
    Herschel use to have a site where he sold all of his stuff, but that site has since been shut down. So I noticed that the Southeast clinic has his stuff for sale in a PDF format. However, the videos I do not know where you can find them. Maybe ask if they sell those as well. If not PM me and I'll see what I can do.
    Sorry
    Coach Wright

This is where I found things..http://store.allaccesswingt.com/ Books and presentations are on here.

Said they would send paper items through e-mail. A bit worried though as the e-mail that they have listed bounced a message back to me.

* EDIT: Correction.....the DVD's are of Roger Holmes Clinic Talks.....Not Coach Moore.
    Last edited by DeaconKlemme; 03-12-2017 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconKlemme View Post
    This is where I found things..http://store.allaccesswingt.com/ Books and presentations are on here.

Said they would send paper items through e-mail. A bit worried though as the e-mail that they have listed bounced a message back to me.

* EDIT: Correction.....the DVD's are of Roger Holmes Clinic Talks.....Not Coach Moore.
    Coaches
    I just purchased his gun and pistol stuff. That was the one book I did not have and Coach Holmes sent it to me via email today. So it is a good site.
    Coach Wright

Thread Information