Thread: Formationing?!

Default Formationing?!

Hey guys: I think I just made up a new term on the Title line above!!??!!! "Formationing!" anyway....
    I keep reading all of this grrrrrrrrrreat information that Coach Erd' keeps passing along!!! "Thanks Rich!" and it got me to wondering (for you Northerners: that means "thinking" down South!!!) LOL
    What do you guys do as far as "unbalancing" your formations to create mismatches? I was just reading the thread on "into the boundary" and, once again, Erd' brings up some interesting formation-ing! to confuse the defense! I realized that maybe this is one of those under-utilized actions we can take when running this unbelievable offense??!!!!???
    I "consult" with a Wing T team in Ohio that is planning on utilizing a lot more "unconventional" alignments with their offense this year. It made me wonder: what are some of the things you guys do with your formations to create mismatches??

and... you need to get out pen and paper when Coach Erd' types!!! cuz... he's a tremendous resource for us on this Message Board!!! I don't think there are any other (former) college Wing T coaches who "talk" on here but Rich!

Blessings, Lew

I copied and pasted a reply to another post. I always felt that out flanking teams or creating internal mismatches and conflicts was the beauty of this offense. Our unbalanced thoughts below were some ways to do it. One of the easiest ways is to offset the FB. We did this by just adding + or - to the formation call. Red+28 Jet Sweep for us put the FB to the side of the call to the right as an additional blocker. Red-28 Jet Keep Pass put the FB to the left away from the Jet Sweep but on our Jet Keep Pass he went backside to protect anyway so we just lined him up there. If we wanted to run Jet Sweep with the FB in the minus position he still faked trap from there.

Another way we created stress at the flank was our "Ends" formation which put both ends on the line wide obviously the inside end was ineligible. There were times when the defense recognized the ineligible and failed to support that flank properly. There were times when they recognized the tackle as ineligible backside and they did not support that flank. Now add the offset FB (+/-) and now you create doubt in the defense. Remember sometimes the 17 year old kids say screw the coach and now you've got them.

Another way was utilizing a term called "On The Ball". This told the motion back to align where he would be when the ball was snapped had he been in motion. This put us into some funky looking formations and allowed us to snap the ball on the 1st sound on plays where we would traditionally need motion. Let's say we are in Rip 500 formation: Then: OTB Rip 500
    E G C G T T E E G C G T T E
    L Q Q L

F R F R
    We want to run 534 Blast (FB Belly right with Double @POA with L kicking out). In the OTB formation (looks like Notre Dame Box) the L is in perfect kick out position. We were using a sniffer back before they called him a sniffer. This got us into Bunch sets and many odd looks.

Yes with various backfield sets. That would be Rip with 2 wings... Liz would be the opposite. Our best plays were Jet Sweep both ways; Jet Keep Pass; Belly Slide both ways (best to the tackles); Belly Keep Pass left; Sprint Out Right; our 2 point play right. Rip 500 would be wing left, dive back right behind the tackles. Our best plays were Buck Sweep left; Belly Blast right w/ LH kicking out; Blast Keep Pass right; Counter Boot right; Blast Post Pass right. Rip 600 was slot/wing right, dive back left. Our best plays were Buck Sweep and Down right; Buck Sweep Keep Pass; Belly Slide left; Counter Boot left. Rip 300 put the backfield strong left. Our best plays were Belly; Belly KP; Counter Boot all on 1st sound.

These were our go to short yardage formations as well as Double Tight Rip & Liz. By maintaining all eligibles we felt this put great stress on the defense and also gave us our 3 biggest guys next to each other. If we did not need motion we ran these plays on 1st sound often creating conflicts by alignment. When Auburn had Cam Newton they lined up in Rip 500 Gun with twins to the right and ran a Jet/Power Read combo to the twin flank that was one of their best plays. They read the 9 technique and he couldn't be right. They had the FB on the PSILB and pulled the BSG. I would be doing this today if I were still coaching. This would give us my Buck Sweep/Bubble combo as well.

Just some food for thought. As always write or call with questions.

Rich Erdelyi

3. Default

Does anyone use a Tackles Over, Ends Over formation? If so, do you have problems with benders off the nub end?

.................G..C..G...T...T.........TE....... ....SE
    .............A......Q..............B

.....................F

Quote Originally Posted by EM44 View Post
    Does anyone use a Tackles Over, Ends Over formation? If so, do you have problems with benders off the nub end?

.................G..C..G...T...T.........TE....... ....SE
    .............A......Q..............B

.....................F
    We ran jet and rocket off this and it was like stealing. The DC'S we faced had trouble aligning to this and conceded the flank. Red and Blue Empty was also great to us. This alignment also gave opponents trouble supporting the flank.

CoachCorrea- did you go on a quick count to take advantage of them not being able to line up correctly?
    "If it is allowed, it is encouraged."

6. Default

I've been drawing up this formation for a few years, but have never used it. To the strength it causes a whole bunch of headaches for DCs, but there isn't much you can do to the nub. Probably going to keep it in our pocket for the second half of a tight game.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachCorrea View Post
    We ran jet and rocket off this and it was like stealing. The DC'S we faced had trouble aligning to this and conceded the flank. Red and Blue Empty was also great to us. This alignment also gave opponents trouble supporting the flank.
    Yes sir .....

Thread Information