Thread: Coach Erd

Default Coach Erd

Coach,
    From your posts, it seems as if you decided to move away from running traditional Power. I might be wrong, but if so, why?
    Thanks!

When you say "Traditional" I believe we always were in that we always ran Buck Sweep. Were we in 100/900 formations? No. But we did run Buck Sweep from TE/wing right...Twins left...QB and offset FB which looked like 100/900 with no QB under center. This gave us an advantage because we could run Buck or Bubble depending on #'s and defensive alignment. Under center we ran Buck mostly from our Rip/Liz unbalanced tackles over formation.

WE always ran Belly. With the advent of Jet Sweep we started running Belly off of Slide/Canadian motion off of the Jet/ motion to trips. This gave us an advantage because now the defense was conflicted whether to defend the Jet Sweep and the backers stayed off just as they did when we got in the Gun running Buck Sweep. The slide back would turn quickly and take 2 slide steps and run Belly with the backers off so the collision would be on the defensive side of the ball. We run all the typical Belly stuff off the slide motion Belly...Counter Boot, Belly Keep Pass, FB Joker(counter trey) Belly Slide Opposite( Belly Counter with no tackle trap) like Sally.

If you ask what our offense was...we were a Buck Sweep, Jet Sweep, Belly Slide team with all the counters... XX, Scissors(Sally) etc. and Play Action Passes as well as a Quick Pass Game (3&1 Step) and a Trips Package. We ran all of these under center and in Gun from multiple formations and motions. I kept tinkering and updating what we were doing to continually put pressure on defenses and dictate instead of react. I just kept trying to create conflicts for various defensive players and alignments putting us in the most favorable position to win.

The beauty of this offense is it allows you to think out of the box and not be locked in to one thought. You can emphasize the personnel that you have. If you have a great QB you can certainly utilize him to the fullest. If you have a QB athlete you can run Keeps, Boots, QB Sweeps, Options whatever to use his talents. We've had FB's and HB's lead the conference in rushing. It's only limited by your imagination.

Rich Erdelyi

Thanks Coach- I am referring to the 30series-FB kicking and BSG pulling through.
    The reason I'm asking is I think this might be a mismatch in some games and was wondering if this is why you didn't run it.
    I find that against well coached teams that sqeeze down, it takes to FB too long to get to the block. Maybe I'm doing something wrong and was just curious.
    Thanks

QUOTE=Rich Erdelyi;21024]When you say "Traditional" I believe we always were in that we always ran Buck Sweep. Were we in 100/900 formations? No. But we did run Buck Sweep from TE/wing right...Twins left...QB and offset FB which looked like 100/900 with no QB under center. This gave us an advantage because we could run Buck or Bubble depending on #'s and defensive alignment. Under center we ran Buck mostly from our Rip/Liz unbalanced tackles over formation.

WE always ran Belly. With the advent of Jet Sweep we started running Belly off of Slide/Canadian motion off of the Jet/ motion to trips. This gave us an advantage because now the defense was conflicted whether to defend the Jet Sweep and the backers stayed off just as they did when we got in the Gun running Buck Sweep. The slide back would turn quickly and take 2 slide steps and run Belly with the backers off so the collision would be on the defensive side of the ball. We run all the typical Belly stuff off the slide motion Belly...Counter Boot, Belly Keep Pass, FB Joker(counter trey) Belly Slide Opposite( Belly Counter with no tackle trap) like Sally.

If you ask what our offense was...we were a Buck Sweep, Jet Sweep, Belly Slide team with all the counters... XX, Scissors(Sally) etc. and Play Action Passes as well as a Quick Pass Game (3&1 Step) and a Trips Package. We ran all of these under center and in Gun from multiple formations and motions. I kept tinkering and updating what we were doing to continually put pressure on defenses and dictate instead of react. I just kept trying to create conflicts for various defensive players and alignments putting us in the most favorable position to win.

The beauty of this offense is it allows you to think out of the box and not be locked in to one thought. You can emphasize the personnel that you have. If you have a great QB you can certainly utilize him to the fullest. If you have a QB athlete you can run Keeps, Boots, QB Sweeps, Options whatever to use his talents. We've had FB's and HB's lead the conference in rushing. It's only limited by your imagination.

Rich Erdelyi[/QUOTE]

We were never big Power or Power Sweep team. Power OT became tough as teams squeezed and came under kick-out blocks. I also never liked the angle of the BC hitting the hole. When we were running power well in the 90's we were motioning the BC to the "I" with 2 step motion from the dive back. This gave him more of a down hill angle and could hit the hole square. We also ran Power sweep this way with the QB pitching the ball. The best play was Power Keep Pass where the QB would ride the BC into the hole, the BSG would pull and hesitate then lead the QB after the BC passed him. The wing would look like he was walling the 1st LB to his side and when the Corner committed he broke behind him to the flag. The TE would double down for 2 counts the arrow to the flat and the SE ran drag.

I loved the KP off power but when we started getting so much out of the Jet and Rocket stuff something had to go.

Rich Erdelyi

Thread Information