Thread: Toss Read

Default Toss Read

Stealing a play from Coach Huey's Message Board:

Thoughts?

QB shuffles down line like Power Read. Reads DE. shovels to back underneath or a two handed "basketball chest pass" to HB.

Not to much different from what Tim Tebow ran at Florida.

Can also run with TE as underneath carrier.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

I really like the idea of it. Something I've been looking into as well. Wondering how hard the read is on Toss Read v. Jet Read. We've played with the Jet Read before but our QB really struggled with it.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachSchelb View Post
    I really like the idea of it. Something I've been looking into as well. Wondering how hard the read is on Toss Read v. Jet Read. We've played with the Jet Read before but our QB really struggled with it.
    What I like about it is the act the you can get the ball out to perimeter pretty quick with out Motion.
    Bryan Schaumloffel

Good Stuff Coach...
    I would def look at this if I was still coaching.

My summer project (when I get bored) will be to look at that formation and see how much of the offense I can run from it. I'm also going to look at a TE trey look. Last season we used the formation you have drawn up to run, Buck, QB Trap, Waggle (need to revisit blocking), CTR XX, Jet (AKA Flip) and our passing game (need revisit protection and routes)

I think it's a great add if you have a running QB.

What are others doing. Coach E has some great stuff from his CMU days.

Chris
    Chris Cuomo
    Offensive Coordinator
    East Haven High School
    East Haven, CT

We actually ran this about 10 years ago. If the defense promises to stay in this look it's a great concept. The issue as I recall was if they put the overlap on the LOS...a 2i, 5 & 9 to the twins. The 5 has the QB, the 9 has the FB and they force the underneath shuffle pass quickly as the 5 squeezes the down block. In order to do this they roll to a 3 deep and the answer would be Buck Sweep TE flank. In essence what I'm saying is you probably need an either/or in this situation. We were doing so many other things both UC and Gun that I bagged it. As with any other triple option concept you need answers for various secondary looks. If you are committed to this I would also have a crack and arc outside concept and have the seam pass ready vs. that 3 deep or any man look...it could be your TD play.

You are correct Bryan that this is a great way to get on the flank without motion. You are running Rocket Sweep well so just run your Rocket scheme. Have the PST avoid the 5 and climb; have the QB take 3 quick steps aiming 2 yards outside the 5 and slightly down hill and then pitch to the FB. If there is an overlap have the PST stay on the 5 and challenge the 9 in the same way. I can almost assure you he'll freeze and take the QB.

As with any option concept, you need to put in a ton of group work at the flank so the QB is comfortable with all the possibilities. If you are running other options it could be very good.

As always write or call with questions.

Rich Erdelyi

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Erdelyi View Post
    We actually ran this about 10 years ago. If the defense promises to stay in this look it's a great concept. The issue as I recall was if they put the overlap on the LOS...a 2i, 5 & 9 to the twins. The 5 has the QB, the 9 has the FB and they force the underneath shuffle pass quickly as the 5 squeezes the down block. In order to do this they roll to a 3 deep and the answer would be Buck Sweep TE flank. In essence what I'm saying is you probably need an either/or in this situation. We were doing so many other things both UC and Gun that I bagged it. As with any other triple option concept you need answers for various secondary looks. If you are committed to this I would also have a crack and arc outside concept and have the seam pass ready vs. that 3 deep or any man look...it could be your TD play.

You are correct Bryan that this is a great way to get on the flank without motion. You are running Rocket Sweep well so just run your Rocket scheme. Have the PST avoid the 5 and climb; have the QB take 3 quick steps aiming 2 yards outside the 5 and slightly down hill and then pitch to the FB. If there is an overlap have the PST stay on the 5 and challenge the 9 in the same way. I can almost assure you he'll freeze and take the QB.

As with any option concept, you need to put in a ton of group work at the flank so the QB is comfortable with all the possibilities. If you are running other options it could be very good.

As always write or call with questions.

Rich Erdelyi
    Thanks coach. Is it a two handed "chest pass" or option pitch?
    Bryan Schaumloffel

We ran it as an option pitch...thumb under...palm up...end over end pitch. If there was a problem which going to the left was for a righty we used a one hand basketball push pass like a basketball shot again end over end. This pitch needs to be hard and flat and can't be a sissy toss. Going to the right the first step would be a crossover @60 with the left foot...left, right, left step at the FB with the right foot and pitch...these would be 3 quick steps aiming at where a slot would align 4 yards outside the PST. This will give you plenty of width and get the FB really wide on the flank. Always step in the direction of the pitch to get a little more zip on it plus if it's an errant pitch or muffed you are in the direction to see it and recover it.

This is a technique that must be worked on in your QB individual drills and must not be taken for granted. Usually the college QB's hands being larger than a HS kids allowed for option pitches in both directions. When we do summer camps I would teach both techniques.

As always, write or call with questions.

Rich Erdelyi

Thread Information