Thread: Down to SE Side

Default Down to SE Side

What are your thoughts of running a "Down" Scheme to the SE side vs. a 4i? Belly from Red/Blue always gives us issues with the wing's drop step to up on the backer.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 9.32.38 AM.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  19.5 KB
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

Quote Originally Posted by bucksweep View Post
    What are your thoughts of running a "Down" Scheme to the SE side vs. a 4i? Belly from Red/Blue always gives us issues with the wing's drop step to up on the backer.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 9.32.38 AM.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  19.5 KB
    Bryan,
    To me this is just 83/87 belly. The teach the PST GAP, DOWN, ON. The PSG is taught, GAP, Pull and KO. If the PSG calls "GAP" than the PST automatically comes the on call. How do you teach belly?
    Chris Cuomo
    Offensive Coordinator
    East Haven High School
    East Haven, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Howling Wolves View Post
    Bryan,
    To me this is just 83/87 belly. The teach the PST GAP, DOWN, ON. The PSG is taught, GAP, Pull and KO. If the PSG calls "GAP" than the PST automatically comes the on call. How do you teach belly?
    I was think more the QB/FB path and the path of the Wing that made it more like down
    Bryan Schaumloffel

Quote Originally Posted by bucksweep View Post
    I was think more the QB/FB path and the path of the Wing that made it more like down
    We teach the wingback to take easiest release some times they insert sometimes they go around. We also let them play with their alignment.
    Chris Cuomo
    Offensive Coordinator
    East Haven High School
    East Haven, CT

Makes sense.
    Bryan Schaumloffel

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Howling Wolves View Post
    We teach the wingback to take easiest release some times they insert sometimes they go around. We also let them play with their alignment.
    Not sure who, but someone i was studying does it this way. if B gap is closed, the HB goes around. If open, they insert. IIRC it rick stewart, but not sure

7. Default

I like this thought vs. a non reduced front. Way to think outside of the box Bryan

Bob

We never did it but Nebraska used to run the heck out of it from Red/Blue when Osborne and Solich were there and naturally had the option off of it. You need to maintain your split integrity with the slot being at least 3-4 yds from the PST otherwise I think you could have a big mess in there with a squeeze thus the necessity of the option.
    I'm assuming you have a specific opponent that gives you this alignment and promises to do it because if the 4 becomes a 5 you have issues.

Rich Erdelyi

I remember going to a Delaware clinic where Ted Kempski talked taking the easiest path to the LB. I never liked going around or over the top because if the LB blitzes, you can't account for him. We started to run what we called HB Belly, where the FB leads through the hole and the back side HB becomes the ball carrier. Not only can you account for the blitz, you now have a bigger blocker. You can now release the play side HB so if the ball bounces outside, the defense no longer has an extra or unblocked defender. You get a hat on a hat & have them all blocked. We got this idea from Shippensburg, who ran what they call 32 Down to the TE/Wing. We ran both HB Down & HB Belly after seeing what they did

Similar to Jsanny- we do the same. However we've even gone slightly different vs a 4i.
    We would actually have the PST go inside the 4i, slot down on the 4i, PSG would kick and the FB would lead thru. It creates a very short porch and a larger hole.
    If your OL is off the ball they can get inside if 2is and 4is and this creates short porches as they almost always squeeze down with an offensive linemen crossing their face.

We would even tighten the receiver and have him load on the inside backer.

Thread Information