Thread: Practicing Bucksweep

Default Practicing Bucksweep

Putting together the practice plans for camp coming up and thinking about when to make sure we are repping our Bucksweep. *

We have done a Sweep drill before with our G's & HBs, which we like and will likely keep. *My question really centers around practicing Bucksweep in that should it be repped during an Inside Run Period (where we normally rep plays like Trap/Belly/Down, etc), or during our entire Team Offense Period? *I can see positives of both ways but looking for some other perspectives. *

Default Practicing Buck Sweep

Joel: We had an "independent" buck sweep period. It was a Team period that lasted 10-15 minutes--- depending on what time of the season it was (the earlier, the longer we went.) We used "Big Bertha" bags for the DL and everyone else on Scout D held shields. We ran it at "racehorse" speed and had 2-3 Groups going... depending on depth.
    No huddle; just get on the ball, call the play and let's run it. It was also a "perfect play" period. If I didn't like the hustle or execution (more so for the 1st team than the others!), I'd say: "No good. Run it again." Back on the ball and run another buck sweep. Each team would run at least 4 sweeps (2 to the TE/WB and 2 to the SE/Slot). We got a LOT of reps in.

There are a lot of moving parts in Buck Sweep so I always liked to rep it during Team and it was usually on the script a few times from multiple formations. During our install days at camp(1st 5 practices) we did very similar to Lew's plan vs. bags so we could see the heads and proper steps and angles...square cut tech etc. During Indi period the C/G coach did his Buck Sweep/ Trap/ Waggle drill; the RB coach worked on the wing's down block; the T/TE coach worked his down blocks and backside shutoff tech; I had the QB's and 1 HB doing Buck Sweep handoff drill; then it was put together in Group Drill and finally Team Drill.

Rich Erdelyi

Quote Originally Posted by lewjohnston View Post
    Joel: We had an "independent" buck sweep period. It was a Team period that lasted 10-15 minutes--- depending on what time of the season it was (the earlier, the longer we went.) We used "Big Bertha" bags for the DL and everyone else on Scout D held shields. We ran it at "racehorse" speed and had 2-3 Groups going... depending on depth.
    No huddle; just get on the ball, call the play and let's run it. It was also a "perfect play" period. If I didn't like the hustle or execution (more so for the 1st team than the others!), I'd say: "No good. Run it again." Back on the ball and run another buck sweep. Each team would run at least 4 sweeps (2 to the TE/WB and 2 to the SE/Slot). We got a LOT of reps in.
    Thanks coach. When you say each team would run at least 4 Sweeps are you talking about during the 10-15m period both the first and second (maybe the 3rd) would get 4 reps or are you just talking about 4 reps then switch and keep going through it until the end of the 10-15m period?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Erdelyi View Post
    There are a lot of moving parts in Buck Sweep so I always liked to rep it during Team and it was usually on the script a few times from multiple formations. During our install days at camp(1st 5 practices) we did very similar to Lew's plan vs. bags so we could see the heads and proper steps and angles...square cut tech etc. During Indi period the C/G coach did his Buck Sweep/ Trap/ Waggle drill; the RB coach worked on the wing's down block; the T/TE coach worked his down blocks and backside shutoff tech; I had the QB's and 1 HB doing Buck Sweep handoff drill; then it was put together in Group Drill and finally Team Drill.

Rich Erdelyi
    Thanks coach. When you say it was put together in Group what kinds of things were you doing?

In Group Run we would line up 4 backfields 10 yards apart facing me standing on the 45. The 1st backfield would be on a spacing tape on cones so they were lined up correctly. I would call the play and team 1 would run it. Let's say Buck Sweep right...I'd make sure the BC 1st step was crossover @90...good HO position(block&table) eyes on the flank...good square cut...The QB had a good reverse pivot on the mid-line with his back to me and ball hidden...nod to the back going past and good waggle set...The FB 1st step was crossover with right foot aiming for the left foot of the OC...faking trap right and blocking the BSILB with a left shoulder...The wing was stepping with his inside foot for the inside foot of the TE with a right shoulder block.

Then teams 2,3&4 would run it with #2 QB calling the cadence. All HO's should occur at the same time...everything should be in sync. Then all 4 teams would run the play again with #3 QB calling the cadence. This is how I installed plays for 45 years. I wanted all QB cadence to sound the same. All motions and shifts should be the same. During the season we only ran each play once with team 1&2 QB's calling the cadence but all 4 teams would run the plays every day. This is how we kept all the kids running our plays since teams 3&4 were our scout team players but should someone be injured they needed to know what's going on.

While the backs were doing this, the OL was running through the script in a similar fashion on air. Then they'd go against the fronts we were working on that day. The receivers during Group Run would work on their blocking angles or go 1on1 vs. the DB's.

When we went to Group Pass again it was vs. air. I was more concerned with timing, spacing, footwork, route depth and coordination, accuracy and catching than competing. That would come in 7on7, team pass drill, 1on1 and Ovs.D. Let's say we're running Red Waggle Left. All receivers run their pattern vs. Cov3... we might have kickers standing back there as the 3 deep at 20 yards with 4 cones or garbage cans at 10 yard depth as LB's. We would have 4 QB's throwing so all QB's would see the spacing and all receivers catch a pass. Team 1 QB UC has the SE. Team 2 QB lines up 5 yds outside of QB#1 launch point and he has FB flat. Team #3QB lines up 2 yards inside of Team 1 launch point and has the TE. Team 4QB lines up 2 yards inside of him and has backside wing. QB2,3&4 take their last 2 steps as QB 1 hits his last 2 steps and there should be 4 balls in the air at the same time. They rotate with Team 2 being up and all QB's move with team 3 QB on the FB, team 4 QB on the TE and team 1 QB on the wing. We'll make a game of it and count completions etc.

In season we'll only go with 3 teams with team 1 running all their scripted plays and teams 2&3 alternating scripted plays.

Another thing I always did was have team 2 QB always run 4or5 plays with team 1 during team drill and team 3 QB running 6or7 plays with team 2. The players need to hear a different voice in the huddle since he's a sprained ankle from being the man. When we do C/QB exchange the kickers hold a dummy opposite the C so he has to simulate his block for the play called. The QB's rotated each play so they got an exchange from each center including shotgun. The QB's executed their steps on the play called before rotating. I had a different QB calling the cadence on every play.

As always, write or call with questions.

Rich Erdelyi

Thread Information