Thread: talk it; chalk it; walk it; run it

Default talk it; chalk it; walk it; run it

As we prepare for the new season we must always remember it's not what we know but what the players know, understand and are able to execute. I've always believed in Talk It, Chalk It, Walk It, Run It. Do not put the cart in front of the horse. Shakespeare said "The Play Is The Thing". Make sure all coaches and players understand "The Play" if not you'll have a mess!

Talk It: Explain why you are running the play and the series. What are you hoping to accomplish? When will it be used? How can it lead to the team's success? Jet Sweep will help us establish a flank game and force the defense to defend sideline to sideline etc. Explain the steps necessary for each player to take for the play to be successful.

Chalk It: Put it up on the board, overhead, computer screen etc. Show how it's blocked and how it can succeed. If possible have a video of the play being run correctly. Some players are visual learners and need this. Make sure all assignments are clear, precise and understood.

Walk It: Walk through each play step by step. Make sure the 1st step in particular is correct putting the player on the path and position to carry out his assignment. Make sure the head placement, footwork, shoulder placement, hand placement and most importantly the EYES are where they should be to insure success.

Run It: Run the play with all coaches concentrating on their players for all of the above. If this execution is done properly only now are you prepared to be successful against an opponent.

There is a common word/theme here...success!!! All of us including the players want it and it is HARD! If it were easy everyone would play football. The PST on Jet Sweep must secure the 5 tech or the play will fail. It is up to you to teach him the proper step, head placement, hand placement, leverage, footwork, etc. necessary for him to succeed. Repetition, Execution, Perspiration and Desire are the keys.

Here are the 3 critical aspects of football:

1. Knowledge of Assignment: this is obvious and most critical. No matter how much talent a player has if he doesn't know what to do he can't play. It's up to the coach to figure a way to "Get To" each player to maximize his potential and understands his assignment.

2. First 2 Steps: These get you on the correct path to carry out the assignment you've learned. If the guard takes a flat pull instead of an in line pull he may not be in correct position on the trap. If the QB goes over the mid-line on trap he'll force the FB wider than he should or run into him. The first 2 steps are critical to the success of each play and to the success of each player.

3. Desire: I believe every young man that puts on a football helmet has courage and wants to succeed. Some have more desire than others but it's up to us to get the most out of the hand we've been dealt. Get the players in the right position and give them the tools to succeed. Encourage them to do everything at full speed and utilize #1&2.

I urge all of you to be careful in the heat. Some of our best practices were not in full pads. I know this is a physical game but do not lose your team or best player by scrimmaging all the time. Many state associations as well as the NCAA have legislated policies to limit our practice time. That's why you should utilize meeting time and video time. I started with hand held 8mm film. I wish I was starting over with all the technology available. It's not Tempo; It's not Schemes; It's EXECUTION and you needn't hit anyone to achieve it.

As you can probably tell it's almost August and an old man's juices are flowing. Write or call if I can be of assistance. Always glad to help.

Rich Erdelyi

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Erdelyi View Post
    As we prepare for the new season we must always remember it's not what we know but what the players know, understand and are able to execute. I've always believed in Talk It, Chalk It, Walk It, Run It. Do not put the cart in front of the horse. Shakespeare said "The Play Is The Thing". Make sure all coaches and players understand "The Play" if not you'll have a mess!

Talk It: Explain why you are running the play and the series. What are you hoping to accomplish? When will it be used? How can it lead to the team's success? Jet Sweep will help us establish a flank game and force the defense to defend sideline to sideline etc. Explain the steps necessary for each player to take for the play to be successful.

Chalk It: Put it up on the board, overhead, computer screen etc. Show how it's blocked and how it can succeed. If possible have a video of the play being run correctly. Some players are visual learners and need this. Make sure all assignments are clear, precise and understood.

Walk It: Walk through each play step by step. Make sure the 1st step in particular is correct putting the player on the path and position to carry out his assignment. Make sure the head placement, footwork, shoulder placement, hand placement and most importantly the EYES are where they should be to insure success.

Run It: Run the play with all coaches concentrating on their players for all of the above. If this execution is done properly only now are you prepared to be successful against an opponent.

There is a common word/theme here...success!!! All of us including the players want it and it is HARD! If it were easy everyone would play football. The PST on Jet Sweep must secure the 5 tech or the play will fail. It is up to you to teach him the proper step, head placement, hand placement, leverage, footwork, etc. necessary for him to succeed. Repetition, Execution, Perspiration and Desire are the keys.

Here are the 3 critical aspects of football:

1. Knowledge of Assignment: this is obvious and most critical. No matter how much talent a player has if he doesn't know what to do he can't play. It's up to the coach to figure a way to "Get To" each player to maximize his potential and understands his assignment.

2. First 2 Steps: These get you on the correct path to carry out the assignment you've learned. If the guard takes a flat pull instead of an in line pull he may not be in correct position on the trap. If the QB goes over the mid-line on trap he'll force the FB wider than he should or run into him. The first 2 steps are critical to the success of each play and to the success of each player.

3. Desire: I believe every young man that puts on a football helmet has courage and wants to succeed. Some have more desire than others but it's up to us to get the most out of the hand we've been dealt. Get the players in the right position and give them the tools to succeed. Encourage them to do everything at full speed and utilize #1&2.

I urge all of you to be careful in the heat. Some of our best practices were not in full pads. I know this is a physical game but do not lose your team or best player by scrimmaging all the time. Many state associations as well as the NCAA have legislated policies to limit our practice time. That's why you should utilize meeting time and video time. I started with hand held 8mm film. I wish I was starting over with all the technology available. It's not Tempo; It's not Schemes; It's EXECUTION and you needn't hit anyone to achieve it.

As you can probably tell it's almost August and an old man's juices are flowing. Write or call if I can be of assistance. Always glad to help.

Rich Erdelyi

Coach
    Outstanding. Some of the best advice I have seen. Always good to hear.
    Thanks
    Coach Wright

Thread Information