Thread: SE Cut Off Drills

Default SE Cut Off Drills

Any ideas/links/videos of high quality Split End Free Safety Cut Off Block drills?

Thanks!

Not sure I have any drill except having the SE get after it. To me that is a "will" block. He has to have the will to get after it and hustle to cut off safety. Maybe you can give an award to the se each tI'm he makes a block that adds to a big play or make a really big deal out of it in film break down. I think our ol and receivers do a really good job of blocking downfield. I think for us it is an expectation but we really emphasize it and celebrate it during film review as well as get after the guys if they fail to hustle down field.
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

3. Default

We only run 1 cross field cutoff drill during the SE Indy.

* Half line set up with barrels
    * SE aligns properly off the OT
    *Player at safety depth holds a shield
    *SE coach gives hand signs to safety letting him know what he needs to do... attack 3/7 hole (think Belly) or stay back.
    * On cadence, the SE takes a flat pull step and adjusts to the safety...

If safety attacks 3/7 hole, the SE stays fairly flat and looks to shoulder block the safety at LB depth.
    If Safety stays back, the SE climbs to him and stalks.

Hope that helps/makes sense.

4. Default

We teach it as a "cutback" block. As discussed before, it's an effort and hustle block. Realistically, if the FS is any good, a SE will have a very difficult time cutting him off. So we have a constant angle at the FS's toes as fast as the SE can go. This puts him in a perfect position to block the FS on a cutback by the runner. If no cut back, then the SE is in perfect position to turn up field and cut off the backside corner. This is how we teach it. Again, effort and hustle are the key...

We try to scheme a FS block coming from the play side. If you have to utilize a cutoff block by the back side, then I'd suggest closing your splits or running from a TE position.

Hope this helps or gives some ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by bucksweep View Post
    Not sure I have any drill except having the SE get after it. To me that is a "will" block. He has to have the will to get after it and hustle to cut off safety. Maybe you can give an award to the se each tI'm he makes a block that adds to a big play or make a really big deal out of it in film break down. I think our ol and receivers do a really good job of blocking downfield. I think for us it is an expectation but we really emphasize it and celebrate it during film review as well as get after the guys if they fail to hustle down field.
    Thanks, Bryan!

Quote Originally Posted by EM44 View Post
    We only run 1 cross field cutoff drill during the SE Indy.

* Half line set up with barrels
    * SE aligns properly off the OT
    *Player at safety depth holds a shield
    *SE coach gives hand signs to safety letting him know what he needs to do... attack 3/7 hole (think Belly) or stay back.
    * On cadence, the SE takes a flat pull step and adjusts to the safety...

If safety attacks 3/7 hole, the SE stays fairly flat and looks to shoulder block the safety at LB depth.
    If Safety stays back, the SE climbs to him and stalks.

Hope that helps/makes sense.
    Thanks, Coach!

Quote Originally Posted by ThirstyB View Post
    We teach it as a "cutback" block. As discussed before, it's an effort and hustle block. Realistically, if the FS is any good, a SE will have a very difficult time cutting him off. So we have a constant angle at the FS's toes as fast as the SE can go. This puts him in a perfect position to block the FS on a cutback by the runner. If no cut back, then the SE is in perfect position to turn up field and cut off the backside corner. This is how we teach it. Again, effort and hustle are the key...

We try to scheme a FS block coming from the play side. If you have to utilize a cutoff block by the back side, then I'd suggest closing your splits or running from a TE position.

Hope this helps or gives some ideas...
    Thanks, Coach!

Thread Information