Thread: SE side counter vs. 50 front

1. Default SE side counter vs. 50 front

Coaches,
    I have been begun breaking down our season and have found we had some heavy tendencies with regards to our counter scheme. We only ran our counters to a TE surface. I am looking for a solid consistent counter to a SE surface. Any ideas?

CT Criss Cross

Default SE Counter

I agree with Sanny!!! If you are NOT running XX as an integral part of your Wing T offense, you are doing your players a disservice!
    Yes, I know... "That double hand-off scares me, Coach!" Welllllllll... "snakes on a plane" scare me but I still fly on airplanes!!!! We will pass the ball 12-15 times a game and THAT scares some Wing T coaches! What you emphasize, you will achieve. If you spend the right amount of time repping Ct. XX and... using the right drill with your RB's to perfect the double hand-off, it can be your "scariest" play in your offense!!!

My question to you would be what plays are you trying to run or need to run counters off? Counter XX is a great answer and can be run off of Jet, Buck or Power Sweep and is indeed a play you need. We put it in in every camp we do and our rally cry was when in doubt Jet XX will bail you out!

Vs. the 50 front with a 5 tech we had more success pass setting and wheeling the 5 with the PST with the pulling BSG on the ILB and the FB on the overlap. We would double the nose to the BSILB and usually pull the uncovered lineman(BSG vs odd and BST vs even). This would be for Jet or Buck XX under center. This gave us our best gap control.

If you are nervous with double HO we ran a play called Buck Scissors utilizing the same scheme. The QB reverses as on Buck Sweep and takes 2 steps, pokes to the faking back and turns giving an inside HO to the wing. Basically it's XX with 1 HO.

If you are running a lot of TE Belly we would run our FB Joker play which is the old Redskin Counter Trey. We would block it frontside as above but now you need 2 pullers. We used to pull the BSG&T but switched to BSG &wing. We would bring the slot in Canadian/Slide motion and he would fill for the Pulling G. The FB would take 2 steps= crossover, plant and return. The QB reverse pivots as on Belly but a little shallower and gives an outside HO to the FB.

If you get a reduced front playside (3&5 tech) you must make a call and have a scheme to handle this. We would make a Campie call since he was the FB in the 90's when we started doing this and this would alert him to kick-out the 5 tech. The PST&PSG would double the 3 to the BSILB leaving the PSILB for the puller wrapping.

My friend Herky Billings had a lot of success with Down Counter. I never ran it so I will not write about it. Perhaps someone else will comment on it.

Rich Erdelyi

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lewjohnston View Post
    I agree with Sanny!!! If you are NOT running XX as an integral part of your Wing T offense, you are doing your players a disservice!
    Yes, I know... "That double hand-off scares me, Coach!" Welllllllll... "snakes on a plane" scare me but I still fly on airplanes!!!! We will pass the ball 12-15 times a game and THAT scares some Wing T coaches! What you emphasize, you will achieve. If you spend the right amount of time repping Ct. XX and... using the right drill with your RB's to perfect the double hand-off, it can be your "scariest" play in your offense!!!
    Coach,
    Did you block Jet XX with power blocking or GT blocking?

Wing Back Ctr is a great play to Split side and must a with xx and sally and we run all of them quite a bit at 8th grade with no issues here's some proof of it ..... http://www.hudl.com/v/27nxxh

Thread Information