Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Wing-T vs. The Split-44

Default The Wing-T vs. The Split-44

Coaches-

I was wondering what you think when you are playing a team that runs the Split-44 defensively? I run the Split-44 defense and I absolutely love it! We played 4 Wing-T teams last year and completely shut them down. Actually, our base offense is the Wing-T, so we see it daily in practice. What I want to ask from you guys is what plays offensively work the best for you against the Split-44? Just curious to hear some of your thoughts on the defense and what comes to your mind right when you see that you are going to play against this defense. I know I will get a ton of answers like "I would kill you with this or that...etc." and that is fine.

Thanks for any responses!

Over the past few years, we have been very effective against 4-4 defenses (not just split-44) running midline option. Though not a traditional Wing-T play, the midline has been an extremely valuable (and low maintenance) addition to us particularly versus even defenses. So against split-44, I am going to go in planning on running midline at least 10-15 times.

I like the Belly series from Red/Blue or SE Trips. It puts the OLB in conflict, especially if you have a QB that can run a little. If the OLB comes in to help on the FB, your spotter should see that and then you have the QB run belly option or belly sweep with the WB. I like it out of red/blue because it is a tendency breaker for us as we can use motion coming from both sides. The SE / WB side of the formation also allows us to use our 3 step game against corners that are usually off at 7 yards playing zone coverage. We run a split 44 as well and the option plays are what hurt us the most too.
    Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price.

With alignment, I will bring my SE in to set up a blocking angle on the WOLB. I would force your CB to be run conscious.

As far as plays, I like to look at conflict first. The DE aligned on the TE has a tough assignment. He traditionally, has to keep the TE from releasing inside to the LB's while maintaining his contain responsibility. However, with a wing aligned, he is in a pickle. Squeeze with the TE and he gets pinned by the WB. Maintain outside leverage on the WB, and give up the TE to the inside release. Unfortunately, this is probably your best lineman, and maybe your best athlete on the field. I'd still start there with 121 and 122 or 131 and 132.

Also, I would look to the Belly series at the SE/DB flank. The WOLB should be in conflict between playing the sweep/option or sticking his nose in the cross-block. We would find the best way to block the Belly play, whether with cross-block or base blocking and gut the backside. Assuming we could get enough production out of it that, when the WOLB starts helping, we would switch to Belly Sweep.
    Last edited by Coach Mason; 03-06-2008 at 04:42 PM.
    A good fake is worth two good blocks.

In playing a 4-4, I would really work to NOT run 100/900 and give you a "strong side" vs. "quick side" type of alignment. I feel that if I give you consistant TE/WB and SE/HB flanks, than I am really going to put myself into a bind with a lot of tendancies that you can take advantage of. It amazes me to see some wing-t coaches line up this way and try and jam their base offense into really bad numbers. So, as I said, I would formation a lot and try and put your OLB's into conflict with my alignments and force them to be very, very, active.

What I would run play-wise would probably depend on how you would align to my formations, but I would start with the 80's series and work on blast/KP/belly option and would keep my eye on your OLB to guide my play calling. I could then look at running my 20's (especially waggle). In terms of pass plays, depending on your OLB alignment, I might go into Red/Blue/500 and use my WB's to attack the flats in the 3-step game.

Forgot to add Cntr Tackle Trap, back to the strong side.

What puzzles me about the philosophy of the split 4-4 is why do D-coaches feel that putting DT's in 3-techs will "prevent OG's from getting out on sweep? The very nature of the 3-tech gives the DT an easy Gap/Down read, and the vertical split by the oline will get the OG well on his way. I would much rather see a split 44 vs. an UP-G 44 scheme in which you get constant pressure from the OLB's, and the DE's bend HARD and wrong arm everything.

Another good concept vs. the split-4 is slide motion w/belly series.

I don't know about stopping the sweep (FB should pick him up), but it sure makes you look twice at the FB Trap. That's a hard block for the center or the BST.

I just look at the defense and see big bubbles from 3 tech to 3 tech and 3 tech to 9 tech. I would like to know what you Split 44 guys do to "fill the voids"?

You should be able to move your trap outside if the ILBers are killing your trap and the DE is in a 5 or 6i or even 7 Tech

... PST block down on 3 DT, C block back to the backside DT ... PSG block the backside ILB or Double the DT, TE come down to the playside ILB and the wing find the OLB ... the BSG then traps the DE..

The LBers have a tougher time running thru to blow the play up ... and TE should have a great angle on any ILB scrapping the the 3 tech DT ...
    We called this on the line - OHIO call. Now if you bring the SE over to the TE side you move the corner out of there !

Just an Idea

lkelly

Could you let me know about the backfield? How is the fb able to adjust his path? Isn't it a very sharp cut? Will he have to run laterally before he cuts up? Or do you give the ball to the hb and if so how? I assume this is 23 trap. Thanks.

Thread Information