Thread: Shifts/Trades

Hybrid View

Default Shifts/Trades

I am a JV football coach that was completely new to Wing-T when I took this job calling offense 3 years ago. We are a traditional under-center Wing-T with a lot of motion. We've had a lot of success but I have not used any formation shifts/trades. I am curious what shifts/trades have produced big results for any of you.
    Last edited by jbacholzky; 01-09-2018 at 02:11 PM.

We are big believers in shifts. Varsity offense will have 10 shifts introduced in summer.
    i1) One Back shifts -- have a word which talks specifically to the LH, RH, or FB.
    2)TE Trade - word which talks to TE only. You are initially balanced and "Trade" to unbalanced or viice-versa.
    3)Jump To - refers to jumping SE and TE only.
    4)Slide To -- talks to LH and RH.
    5)Change To -- 3 man shift talking to TE and both HB's (a 3 man shift).
    6)Shift To - 4 man move involving Te-SE-LH-RH.
    7)Explode To - talks to QB,LH,FB,RH. We are jumping from Under Center to Gun OR vice-versa'
    8)Scatter To - SE,TE,LH,RH,FB, and QB stack directly behind Center. On command all 6 players move to the "called" formation.

Default Thank you!

Thank you, Coach! I always end up with some very strong tendencies out of each formation. Trying to find ways to hide or get away from those tendencies. Thinking shifts/trades might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Dierick View Post
    We are big believers in shifts. Varsity offense will have 10 shifts introduced in summer.
    i1) One Back shifts -- have a word which talks specifically to the LH, RH, or FB.
    2)TE Trade - word which talks to TE only. You are initially balanced and "Trade" to unbalanced or viice-versa.
    3)Jump To - refers to jumping SE and TE only.
    4)Slide To -- talks to LH and RH.
    5)Change To -- 3 man shift talking to TE and both HB's (a 3 man shift).
    6)Shift To - 4 man move involving Te-SE-LH-RH.
    7)Explode To - talks to QB,LH,FB,RH. We are jumping from Under Center to Gun OR vice-versa'
    8)Scatter To - SE,TE,LH,RH,FB, and QB stack directly behind Center. On command all 6 players move to the "called" formation.

Coach,
    Could you elaborate more on each shift? Specifically, the why for particular shifts? For instance, Defense A has been doing this, so we use Shift A to combat that? Or...am I way off base as to the use of shifts?

Coach -- We are big believers in multiple formations, all kinds of motion and variety of shifts. The objective is to make it difficult for high school defenses. First dozen plays of game will feature best plays from multiple shifts and formations. If something is causing defense confusion they will see a lot of that shift or formation. We want to be a Defensive Co-Ordinators nightmare. As they say "if defense thinks, it stinks".

Thread Information