Thread: No Huddle

Hybrid View

1. Default No Huddle

We are looking at going no huddle next year. We are looking for the best way to communicate plays. We aren't necessarily going to be up-tempo, so speed of communication is not an issue. Our play calls in the past have consisted of formation, motion, Ball Carrier, Hole, Play. "Left, Rocket, 28 Toss". Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Default no huddle

Coach: email me at coachlewj@gmail.com. I've got some info I can share with you about signaling in plays.
    Blessings,
    Lew

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ThirstyB View Post
    We are looking at going no huddle next year. We are looking for the best way to communicate plays. We aren't necessarily going to be up-tempo, so speed of communication is not an issue. Our play calls in the past have consisted of formation, motion, Ball Carrier, Hole, Play. "Left, Rocket, 28 Toss". Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    We are not a "no huddle" team. However, when circumstanced demand it, we use a mixture of wristbands and one word commands.

Here are our no huddle stuff.

Wristbands - Key word for pod and number for play.

"Code Word" - Hurry up no huddle listen for formation and play. Does not have to be run fast.

"Code Word" - Hurry up, same formation and play. Run as fast as we can

"Code Words" - One word play for formation and play.
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

A lot would depend on how much offense you have. In the late 80's through most of the 90's we were code words followed by the number which was the call. We used college names to distinguish run/pass and snap count. Syracuse 5 Rutgers 28 was TE Buck Sweep on 1. Syracuse 5 Princeton 28 was SE waggle on 1. S words were snap count R words were runs and P words were passes. O words and F words were also snap counts but we ran the Opposite play Ohio 5 Rutgers 28 was SE waggle...we ran the pass instead of the run. F words flipped the play...
    Florida 5 Rutgers 28 was 49 Buck Sweep instead of 28. This worked well until we got into Jet and Rocket sweeps. We had 3 wristbands for the QB's... White had base plays; Yellow was 2 minute plays; Orange was our Short huddle or "Sugar huddle" plays which we ran on 1st sound.

We went to a POD system on wristbands for everybody. We could get 11 plays in a POD and 4 PODS on each band and we had those flip bands with 3 so we could have 132 plays on the wrist. We color coded the plays so the 1st sound plays were in Pink, plays on Red-Set were in yellow and plays on Red-Set-Go were in Green. It sounds complicated but it really isn't. The kids loved it. We hand signaled formations. Plays used in 2 minute were on the top band so they didn't have to flip and plays run a lot were on the top band. We could run plays every 12 seconds if we wanted to.

We also had 3 Code words when we wanted to run a Quick play as soon as the last play was over. FIRE= Red +28 Jet Sweep...TE Jet Sweep with offset FB from Red formation. ICE= Blue 49 Belly Sweep... TE Belly Sweep from Blue formation. MAGIC= Friends Rt. 32 Bubble Pass...fake FB dive right Bubble Pass right to the slot from Friends formation (slot/SE/Flanker). All of these were run on the first sound.

If anyone is interested email me and I'll send you my CODEC which has all the plays in groups...Jets, Rockets, Belly etc. I'll also send you the PODS for the wristbands that would coincide with the CODEC. If you also want the 2 minute CODEC just request that.

As always, write or call with questions.

Rich Erdelyi
    coacherdelyi@gmail.com

6. Default

Thank you guys for all of the responses! You guys have been great with the info that you have provided. It has been a ton of help and gives us a great place to start! If there are any other ideas, please keep them coming!!

Keith

Thread Information