Thread: wing t, with no te

Default wing t, with no te

Coaches,

An informal poll type question:

Do you ever use no TE formations, like flexbone teams?

None?

Sometimes?

All the time?

I've always wondered if you could run the full complement without a TE, especially since the option guys make a living in it and they pound the rock.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

--andycamm

We are flexbone formation about 75% of the time. It started because we didn't have any tight end type kids and we were better at Belly and Rocket than we were at Down and Buck. We like it because we get balanced defensive looks and it is easy for kids to determine their blocks. When we go gun, we simply offset the FB and we still have everything the same. I would love to run more TE stuff but we usually don't have the type of kid we need want and if we do we have to play him at OT.

Quote Originally Posted by 33Belly View Post
    We are flexbone formation about 75% of the time. It started because we didn't have any tight end type kids and we were better at Belly and Rocket than we were at Down and Buck. We like it because we get balanced defensive looks and it is easy for kids to determine their blocks. When we go gun, we simply offset the FB and we still have everything the same. I would love to run more TE stuff but we usually don't have the type of kid we need want and if we do we have to play him at OT.
    BINGO to your last sentence.

We use it for the following situations:

vs a 3-5 (5-3) and 4-4 stack defenses

no huddle (2 minute offense)

There was also 1 year where we did not have a true TE so we lined up in it most of the time. We became a big jet sweep team because of it.

This was always a part of our attack and the essence of the beauty of this offense in the variety and scope of motions, shifts and formations available with little or no change in the offense. When we first went Gun in the late 90's it was "White Gun". 2 SE's, 2 Slots, offset FB. We had a bunch of good receivers and an athletic FB who could run Buck Sweep and Belly. We could run a quick passing game to both flanks which I learned from Chan Gailey when he was with the Steelers as well as our own quick game and our trips package with motion. We used it mostly in 3rd and long as well as 2 minute although against 1 team who insisted on playing the SS to the field we ran 18 Buck Sweeps for 200 yards into the boundary from White Gun and Rip/Liz unbalanced formations.

In the early 2000's we used a lot of "White Close" formation which was 2 slots 2 yards from the tackle and 2 SE's 3 yards from the slots. This was a great formation for all our sweeps especially Jet/Rocket/QB& Power. Now if you offset the FB (+/-) you have real confusion on the defense especially into the boundary. We also ran a great Rocket Screen back to the nub which was usually open since we had no eligible backside once the Rocket back vacated.

For the past 20 years we used "Ends" formation which put 2 SE's on the ball lined up wide. The inside end would be 8 8 yards from the slot and the outside end would be 5 yards wider. If they didn't adjust you had an extra blocker on Jet/Rocket sweep on a slot bubble or FB swing pass as both are behind the line. If they did adjust usually they were out manned on the nub side.

My last several years we ran Rocket from a Pistol formation: 2 SE's, 2 Slots aligned with their inside foot on the outside foot of the tackle, QB@4 and FB@6. This gave us Rocket to both flanks with either/or based on #'s. Rocket Zone, Rocket Counter (inside HO with XX blocking), Rocket Keep Pass and Rocket Naked (waggle patterns). You could either or all of them based on #'s because y we were balanced.

Let your imagination run wild! As always write or call if I can help.

Rich Erdelyi

Thread Information