Thread: wing - t plays, from spread looks (early Malzahn stuff)

1. Default wing - t plays, from spread looks (early Malzahn stuff)

Hello Coaches,

Our staff is looking to speak with other coaches who have some experience running wing - t concepts from spread looks. We have been a traditional and shotgun wing t team in the past but are looking to evolve our offense into early Malzahn type schemes. If anybody could please help get us connected with a staff running Malzahn - Shiloh High School / early Auburn stuff, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance and my email is connected to my forum profile.

Coach Armstrong

We looked into it. I think we do a better job with our traditional stuff. In my opinion ( I am sure others disagree) you need to be able to run zone with those looks. I know you don't have but from what I have seen the zone read is such a big part of that package. Yes you can run Bucksweep from that look but it is not something you can pound like we can under center. Trust me as a offensive guy I love to draw stuff up and we put stuff in but when we are in big games we win with our traditional sweep, power, belly, down, trap and rocket. We run and have success with the "fun" stuff vs. bad teams not against the good teams. Sorry, I didn't answer your question but those are my thoughts on that stuff. I love to watch it on TV though.
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

Coach - I agree with Bryan. We ran this for a season with a VERY athletic QB. Our plays were buck, Power, CTR, and ISZ. We never really could master zone. don't get me wrong, it worked out ok, but once teams knew we couldn't really throw the ball we ended up with man free almost all the time.

The BIGGEST issue was for me as a play caller. I wasn't comfortable with the system which made adjustments difficult. I promised my self after that if the HC ever decided he wanted to go spread or non wing, I'd let someone else run it.
    Chris Cuomo
    Offensive Coordinator
    East Haven High School
    East Haven, CT

4. Default

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will relay that info to our head coach. We have taught zone blocking in the past but always felt like it short changed our gap plays do to the prep time needed for both.

Default Gus Malzahn Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Armstrong View Post
    Hello Coaches,

Our staff is looking to speak with other coaches who have some experience running wing - t concepts from spread looks. We have been a traditional and shotgun wing t team in the past but are looking to evolve our offense into early Malzahn type schemes. If anybody could please help get us connected with a staff running Malzahn - Shiloh High School / early Auburn stuff, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance and my email is connected to my forum profile.

Coach Armstrong
    This page right here has a background for the formations and plays too

https://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2...ions-personnel

https://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2...one-run-basics

http://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/20...malzahn-auburn

Thread Information