Thread: Differences in Belly Series and Down Series

Default Differences in Belly Series and Down Series

Excuse my ignorance...

What's the difference other than running one to the split-side and the other to the TE side?

2. Default

1. FB steps are different
    Belly = Lateral, Crossover, plant and get square to attack the hole. Handoff occurs deep. It is really like a true iso play

Down = Slashing footwork. Attack the hole immediately. QB gets width quickly and handoff occurs close to LOS.

2. Also in BELLY the HB usually lead blocks through the hole (though sometimes he goes over the top) and on DOWN the Wingback goes over the top to get the PSLB

The main difference to the defense is the speed with witch the play hits. DOWN is a quick hitter to the TE side that often pops through the line before the defense knows what play it is.

The blocking assignments are also different. With Down, the assignments are Gap, Down, LB for the T & TE and the G pulls and traps the 1st person outside the TEs block. The Wing influences and climbs to the LB. With Belly the assignments change depending on the front. The T assignment is Gap, Down, On and the G assignment is Gap or Pull and trap 1st defender outside the Ts block. The HB takes a delay step and reads the block of the T and goes through the LOS to block the LB.

Thanks for your replies. I got what I needed.

I think the another important thing to note about the two plays that makes them different is why they are run.

Down is run when the defense has a player in C gap who is charging hard up field and beating the down block by the WB, making it difficult to run Bucksweep. You then take advantage of the defenders aggressiveness by having the play-side guard kick him out and run underneath.

Belly is usually run when the defense is loading up to the strength of the offensive formation and leaving themselves vulnerable on the weak-side of the formation.

The other coaches correctly talked about the differences in how the two plays are run but I believe it is just as important a difference to know why each of them are run.
    Hancel Phipps
    Wake Forest HS

Great replies to these 2 great Wing T staples.
    Belly is Wing T version of Sprint Draw.
    Down is Wing T version of Outside Veer.

Quote Originally Posted by wingt54 View Post
    I think the another important thing to note about the two plays that makes them different is why they are run.

Down is run when the defense has a player in C gap who is charging hard up field and beating the down block by the WB, making it difficult to run Bucksweep. You then take advantage of the defenders aggressiveness by having the play-side guard kick him out and run underneath.

Belly is usually run when the defense is loading up to the strength of the offensive formation and leaving themselves vulnerable on the weak-side of the formation.

The other coaches correctly talked about the differences in how the two plays are run but I believe it is just as important a difference to know why each of them are run.

Great stuff coach. Thank you for clarifying. This certainly is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wingt54 View Post

Belly is a way to put 5 tech. in conflict (Even Front) - If he goes up the field to contain the QB on Waggle - Run the Belly.

Some great replies. I'd like to add a few thoughts about steps.

On Belly as was previously stated the FB steps are Lead- Crossover - Square up. He should gain no more than a foot toward the LOS and keep his shoulders square. The QB should reverse pivot deep over the midline, n=2nd step with depth @45 and his 3rd step should put him next to the FB not cutting off the vision of the FB in case the wind-back is there.

On Down the FB should crossover @45 on his first step aiming for the inside foot of the TE and stay on that path until the QB seats the ball in his belly then he should be square as he crosses the LOS looking for the block of the wing on the PSILB. The QB should reverse pivot @180 going down the line and the HO should occur on his 3rd step with the 4th step going behind the FB and then coming downhill attacking #4 faking Down Option. We were running a lot of Belly Sweep to the TE flank so we started faking Belly Sweep behind the Down play rather than Down Option. In this case the QB would step straight back on his 4th step after the HO and fake to the sweeper. This validated both plays for us.

As always write or call with questions.

Rich Erdelyi

Thread Information