Thread: Evaluating Your Wing T Attack

Default Evaluating Your Wing T Attack

I had the "misfortune" early in my career of having to go up against my "Wing T Mentor"--- the guy who originally introduced me to this grrrrrrrreat offensive system! We competed 3 times and he got the best of us all 3 games!
    He retired after that... so he was willing to share things that he saw that we did. Things we did well and things he felt we could improve upon.
    Two plays that he told me were the ones that "struck fear in the hearts of opposing teams!" were: 1- buck sweep to the SE side and 2- Counter Criss Cross!
    Do any of you, my esteemed Wing T colleagues, out there run buck sweep to the SE as a focal point of your offense?
    and... have you ever had someone that you respect share with you what he "sees" that you're doing well (or poorly) with your Wing T?
    Comments??
    Thx, Lew

I love running Buck Sweep, Jet Sweep, & Rocket to the SE flank vs teams that love to over play to the TE/Wing flank or teams that reduce their front or play an even front.

While were on this topic and after I put together 7 presentations on our brand of WT . I ve been forced to re-live 2017 and have extensive breakdowns of all our plays that we ran in detail physically and statistically . Once again i'm fighting with myself about 2 certain plays and what is the best way to run it RED/BLUE 100-900 and every year it changes on which way is more efficient.The 2 plays are PWR and BLAST. My ? is. Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem with finding the best sweet spot to mesh up qb & rb (And trust me I'VE played with mesh point's). I've tried a couple different approaches 1 season I even tried tossing, which was worse idea and short lived the other was I-WING. What are some of you guys doing and am i the only one that feels that PWR and Blast are better from an I look ?

I've felt that the 80 series could be strongly ran from the I formation. We used the toss sweep from the I to set up the wing back counter. 30 series is good as well. In our league frustrated Defensive Coordinators blitzed all of the gaps, which did us a huge favor on down blocking. Whenever we found that HR play, it was opened up from our 20 series. Running plays to the weakside always intrigued me, especially with unbalanced formations.

As for the 129 or 921 Bucksweep When you can run your core plays to the weakside that's a plus. Over playing the strong side is a missing punch for the offense to take advantage of. My only issue at first was my LH making a strong log block. Once we got it down packed, it was unstoppable.

Rich Erdeyli did it when he was a high school coach because he had Dan Marino so unless you have Dan Marino, run the offense the way that Dave Nelson, Tubby Raymond, etc.. would run it.

Default Evaluating

Quote Originally Posted by CoachCorrea View Post
    While were on this topic and after I put together 7 presentations on our brand of WT . I ve been forced to re-live 2017 and have extensive breakdowns of all our plays that we ran in detail physically and statistically . Once again i'm fighting with myself about 2 certain plays and what is the best way to run it RED/BLUE 100-900 and every year it changes on which way is more efficient.The 2 plays are PWR and BLAST. My ? is. Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem with finding the best sweet spot to mesh up qb & rb (And trust me I'VE played with mesh point's). I've tried a couple different approaches 1 season I even tried tossing, which was worse idea and short lived the other was I-WING. What are some of you guys doing and am i the only one that feels that PWR and Blast are better from an I look ?
    Coach: HB Power from 100/900 and/or Red/Blue has always been one of our most efficient plays. I don't know if this will help but... our point of emphasis on Power was: getting the QB to step "short" so he doesn't force the HB "deep." We want the HB coming downhill (from a 100/900 alignment) from the get-go. We coached it as "Down" from the Dive Back spot! "Hit that thing downhill. Run at the OT's tail and get into the line quickly."
    We even broke Power back over the p-s Guard some!!! But... stay "inside" the kick out block of the Fullback... and "cut it up!"

This is a great topic. By now you should have evaluated your last season and determined what you did well and what not so well. Hopefully you went to some clinics to widen your horizons and the scope of your offense. You should have determined what plays you ran well and maybe some that you need to get rid of. if you only ran a play a few times you need to ask why and if it's necessary for your attack.

By now we would be in spring practice. My staff and I have probably met 15-20 times prior to spring practice just to have every practice planned. I started every meeting discussing personnel to make sure we had all the right people in the right positions. I met with every player to discuss the last season and the future. I did this also when I coached in HS. You need to know what everyone's thinking and they need to know what you're thinking as well. I met with each staff member and players and staff alike filled out a questionnaire regarding the previous season and the upcoming season. You need to know EVERONE's pulse!

On my big white board I had my thoughts and what I wanted to add or subtract. If a coach had a worthy idea their thoughts went up. The spring is the time to experiment. Most of you have passing leagues or 7on7 competitions. Don't be afraid to try things.

As far as offenses as a whole I don't see enough counters being run at any level. That's the best way to keep defenses honest. If we didn't run Jet XX or Counter XX 4-5 times a game I was mad. My friend Tom Bell who coached against us when he was at the Coast Guard Academy used to introduce me at the Glazier Clinics as the Wing-T guy whose base play was Counter XX. We ran Counter Boot well for years but didn't run Tackle Trap. Counters and Play Action especially Boots and Waggles are the equalizers of this offense.

Lew has been a great mentor to young coaches and I've tried to "pay it forward" my whole career. I just talked yesterday to a coach from St.Louis for a half hour who heard me speak there a few weeks ago. Find someone to bounce ideas off...Gerry Gallagher-NJ, Tom Herman-PA, Pat Fox-MI, Brad Bush-MI, Gasper Giarmo-MI, Jim Santomassimo-CT, Don Smolyn-NJ, Glen McNew-WV, Jim Wright-NY, Matt Dickmann-GA, Ralph Munger-MI these are just a handful of guys I've worked with over the years along with several of my former players and coaches still coaching...Jeff Simmons-CMU, John Bainbridge- St.Vincent College, Marcus Muster- Kiski Prep, Vinny Giacalone- Valparaiso, Bo Ruffner- Latrobe HS all would be helpful and knowledgeable.

As far as running from the "I", Delaware ran a Double tight Power I years ago as their short yardage and GL attack. When I coached in HS we ran Double tight Full House T in Goal Line and short yardage. We ran Buck Sweep and Waggle both ways and Belly and Belly KP along with FB wedge with Buck backfield action. In the Slot "I" we ran Iso both ways with a great Boot to the SE flank away from ISO tight; Power and Power Keep Pass; Power Sweep as a toss with a boot away; Buck Sweep as a Toss and Buck Trap faking the toss. Our 2 best plays were a fake Power Toss sweep to the SE flank and a scissors back to the slot underneath and a Counter Sweep with both backs faking up over both guards pulling and the slot coming around on the sweep to the TE flank and a Pass off of it.

When I went to CMU with Coach Klausing we put in the Power but we motioned to the "I" from the dive back set. It's the same 3 step motion as the wing or slot back to the dive back running motion Power or Buck Sweep. We felt this gave him a better angle running the Power down hill and the QB would ride him setting up a great Power Keep Pass.

As always write or call with questions. Happy Easter

Rich Erdelyi

Default Evaluating

Excellent commentary, as always, Erd'!!!

Thread Information