Thread: The Tubby Raymond Legacy

Default The Tubby Raymond Legacy

As we all know about Coach Tubby Raymond and the contributions he made to football. But until I began deeply studying The Wing T offense, and its roots and origin, I never knew how the offenses I played in or coached had some Wing T principles. Throughout my teenage years I was a pure Nebraska Cornhuskers fan. I came across Coach Osborne's 1996 playbook and I was in complete awe on how these plays were compatible with the modern Wing T.

The 80 Series was the "triple option" package I employed in my playing days and my early coaching. For years Coach Osborne said they never really read the end just followed their option package in sequence. If you are able to watch some clips of the Huskers during the early 1980's you'll see some early variables of Run Pass Option.

With Coach Raymond passing on, I've looked for some of his former players and Herky Billings was one of his former players who played on his '71 and '72 National Championship teams. Coach Billings coached at his alma mater and at Delaware State along with a coaching resume on the high school level too.

I found a series of clinics he conducted during the late 90's and here's a link to some of the clips. I recently heard Coach Billings retired and its definitely a great time to see if anyone can find him so he can share his experiences coaching the Wing T and playing for Tubby.

https://youtu.be/HzWgQm_J0KU Session 1

https://youtu.be/g8KAPpuf_dE Session 2

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Perry View Post
    As we all know about Coach Tubby Raymond and the contributions he made to football. But until I began deeply studying The Wing T offense, and its roots and origin, I never knew how the offenses I played in or coached had some Wing T principles. Throughout my teenage years I was a pure Nebraska Cornhuskers fan. I came across Coach Osborne's 1996 playbook and I was in complete awe on how these plays were compatible with the modern Wing T.

The 80 Series was the "triple option" package I employed in my playing days and my early coaching. For years Coach Osborne said they never really read the end just followed their option package in sequence. If you are able to watch some clips of the Huskers during the early 1980's you'll see some early variables of Run Pass Option.

With Coach Raymond passing on, I've looked for some of his former players and Herky Billings was one of his former players who played on his '71 and '72 National Championship teams. Coach Billings coached at his alma mater and at Delaware State along with a coaching resume on the high school level too.

I found a series of clinics he conducted during the late 90's and here's a link to some of the clips. I recently heard Coach Billings retired and its definitely a great time to see if anyone can find him so he can share his experiences coaching the Wing T and playing for Tubby.

https://youtu.be/HzWgQm_J0KU Session 1

https://youtu.be/g8KAPpuf_dE Session 2
    Coach Billings is a coaches Coach! I spoke to him on the phone a few times. A great resource.
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

Quote Originally Posted by bucksweep View Post
    Coach Billings is a coaches Coach! I spoke to him on the phone a few times. A great resource.
    That's great!! He seems like a guy you could have a few cold ones with and have one liners for days. Every staff needs at least one guy like that.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksweep View Post
    I have had the honor of working a few wing-t camp with him. He also came to Connecticut a few times to work camps for our school. I also spent some time with him after we were done for the day and he is a great guy to talk football with while having dinner or a few beers. He was very entertaining.

I have a whole lecture and overhead series as well as cut up's of Herky's clinic at Delaware state. His approach is strait from the book so the Delaware purist will love it.

Thread Information