Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buck to SE side

Default Buck to SE side

Coach Johnston got me thinking...

What are the points of concern running buck to
    SE side? I would imagine blocking down on a big 5 tech is one.

How would you deal with a 9 tech standing on the LOS over the wing?

Thanks!!

Default Buck Sweep to SE

Hey Coach! First off, blocking that "big" 5 tech with a RB: we realllllllly emphasized how important blocking was for our backs! In fact, one of our "matra's" is: "If you won't block, you don't carry the rock!" Secondly, we taught our RB's that "you win with your feet! So keep them moving!" Third, our technique of attacking the thighs ("win the battle low and then... with your quick feet") and being a bulldog about "velcro-ing" the defender allowed us to tie up the big man. You get him moving inside with the movement of the OT and you just made your job that much easier.
    That 9 tech "over" the Slot is NOT the Slot's man. That would be the kick-out (or log) for the p-s pulling Guard.
    The one thing I'd add is: I've talked to a couple of coaches recently who say to tighten down the SE's width and "crack" that 9 tech...or, the defender ON the LOS! We always cracked the 2nd level. We also learned to run off deep a Corner who's playing man coverage.
    Happy Easter!
    Lew

If there is "a big 9 tech." over the slot, I would like to know "who is the flat defender?".

If the 9 tech is over the slot when running Red 29 Bucksweep, your PSG is kicking him out. Your left slot down blocks inside gap to second level and so forth. If he's shooting inside then make him a victim of your 80 series. But to answer your question is unless the linebacker shifts or some invert follows from motion the you would have no flat defender because a 9 technique is used when there's an eight man box assignment.
    Last edited by Colonel Perry; 04-01-2018 at 12:06 PM.

5. Default

Does anyone have success running it from R/L with a diveback? Or does everyone use the HB in the slot to down block?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmoot View Post
    Does anyone have success running it from R/L with a diveback? Or does everyone use the HB in the slot to down block?
    Jsanny loved to run buck back to the Dive back side. Two years ago we faced a team that set the defense to the TE that we aligned TE, Dive back, WR to one side, with a slot back side and ran it to the nub. It was like stealing. I'm going to see if I can post a few clips.
    Chris Cuomo
    Offensive Coordinator
    East Haven High School
    East Haven, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Howling Wolves View Post
    Jsanny loved to run buck back to the Dive back side. Two years ago we faced a team that set the defense to the TE that we aligned TE, Dive back, WR to one side, with a slot back side and ran it to the nub. It was like stealing. I'm going to see if I can post a few clips.
    Some clips would be awesome, Chris. I'd love to see this in action.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictRi View Post
    Some clips would be awesome, Chris. I'd love to see this in action.
    I need to figure out how to post clips on here from hudl.
    Chris Cuomo
    Offensive Coordinator
    East Haven High School
    East Haven, CT

Chris, what you could do is create the playlist in Hudl and then download the playlist. Then either upload it to YouTube or GoogleDrive and share the link that way.

Default Screencastify to share clips

I've used Screencastify to record clips to post outside of Hudl. It is a free Chrome extension (if you want to make videos longer than 10 minutes, then it is $24). But you can simply play your clips on Hudl and use Screencastify to record your screen and then share the video on here. Very easy to use.

Thread Information