Thread: Pulling Guards vs Blitz

Question Pulling Guards vs Blitz

Newbie here so be gentle...lol

We are in year 2 of implementing the wing t at the school I coach at. One thing that we really struggled with is teams blitzing, primarily in a gap where our pulling guards vacate.

What are some solutions that can help handle blitzing better?

Also we had a very young line, which I contributed to some missed assignments but we played slow in my eyes and had some trouble with our assignments if the DL shifted pre snap. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to improve that?

Thanks in advance!!

Coach C

2. Default

Some simple ideas...

Run power...all gaps accounted for.

Rocket...blitz dont matter

3. Default

Agree with Big Moot 100%. We are a big Rocket team. We don't see as much blitzing as we did when we were a Buck team. We also love the Power scheme.

In addition, I would add a crazy defense/blitz period to your offensive practice. Stress rules and staying on track.

100% as above. Your two blitz answers are power and Rocket.

Power - We have a Gap call where everyone blocks down a gap (no double teams)

Rocket - We have had teams try and time up our Rocket and the blitzzer is always a step behind.

We also have a FB toss (No motion Rocket which has been good for us either behind the QB or plus or minus off set.
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

There are better plays,like Power, Jet, And Rocket but if you close down your splits and practice picking up the blitz, you should be able to pull your guards.

Quote Originally Posted by jsanny View Post
    There are better plays,like Power, Jet, And Rocket but if you close down your splits and practice picking up the blitz, you should be able to pull your guards.
    Good point as well.
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

Lots of good stuff above.

#1 cut your splits down. It looks horrible, but it's not a beauty contest. do what works.

#2 rule block. as a young coach I'd sit and draw things up, but as much as the whiteboard leads to creativity, if you don't give your kids (and coaches) a rule progression, you'll struggle to teach efficiently, and your kids won't play fast unless they are confident they can block ANYTHING.

#3 T motion, long count. Reset the back. You've seen option teams run this. Kids will tee off on your motion to time up blitzes. Make them think twice by banging them for 5 cheap yards.

We did 122/928 with tight splits so that helped us out a lot. Don't be afraid of bring your backs closer to the LOS as well.

Thread Information