Thread: Self Scout

Default Self Scout

How do you guys self-scout yourselves? What are the big things you look out for when evaluating yourselves during and after the season.

Default Self Scout

I typically aim to finish our full-season self-scout before Christmas. I already know that I have some heavy tendencies based on formations but that is something that I still look for. Here is what I look for (keep in mind that I am a JV coach and there isn't much variation to what our opponents are doing each year):

(1) Tendencies based on formations - Should I eliminate certain formations or add to what I already do to eliminate such heavy tendencies?
    (2) What works best? - Seems to be different every year. I am almost always very reliant on my fullback...some years it is Trap, some years Down, some years Belly, some years Toss. I look for trends in big plays and try to figure out why and whether I can build off of that or continue that for the next season.
    (3) What doesn't work? - Some years I have certain plays that just don't work at all. If Belly isn't clicking, why not? What can we do to make it click? Should we even be running it? There have been seasons that I have spent considerable amount of practice time on a play and then only called it 5 times during the entire season. Those are things I am looking to eliminate.
    (4) Analyze any negative plays to see if there are any trends - We can't shoot ourselves in the foot by putting ourselves behind the chains. We have very few negative plays, but the ones that we do have usually show some sort of trend. Maybe most of them are Buck Sweeps and the guards aren't getting proper depth on their pulls causing them to get caught up in the trash. Maybe it is Counter and the QB is pushing the RB too wide and missing the hole. These are things that we want to emphasize in camp to eliminate for the following season.

Here are some of the big things that I look for during the season when I was running our self-scouts.

1. Play Efficiency - What are the plays that we are running and doing well with? Why aren't some of the plays that we normally run well working?

2. Formation Analysis - Are there certain formations where we are really only doing certain things from? For example, when we go SE Over we are only really running Bucksweep & Down. We need to have some key breakers off of this .

Quote Originally Posted by CoachSchelb View Post
    Here are some of the big things that I look for during the season when I was running our self-scouts.

1. Play Efficiency - What are the plays that we are running and doing well with? Why aren't some of the plays that we normally run well working?

2. Formation Analysis - Are there certain formations where we are really only doing certain things from? For example, when we go SE Over we are only really running Bucksweep & Down. We need to have some key breakers off of this .
    All of these ideas are great and will definitely help with scouting our opponents as well!!

I liked Coach Schelb's ideas especially formations. During the season at times it was difficult to analyze because we would see something different every game...3-4, 4-3, 4-2, 3-3 stack so each week our attack would be different. One thing that helped us not be predictable was scripting plays based on D&D. I'm going to do a post on that.

In the off-season we'd analyze our plays based on # of times run, yards gained, average gain and was it a positive play...keeping ahead of the sticks...1st and 10 was it +4 or better etc. There are plays that you need that may not keep you ahead of the sticks because you only call those plays in 3rd and 10+ so the stats might be off but you still need those plays in your attack.

As was previously stated if you only ran say Rocket Sweep 5 times all season with moderate success but you are very successful with Jet Sweep and Buck Sweep do you need Rocket? My last few years we got away from Rocket under center but still used it in Pistol for that reason. You can't practice everything so you need to analyze your personnel and your comfort level. We were getting more out of Rocket from Pistol and its complements so UC was eliminated and I like the play. Also understand that you may only run Jet XX Pass or Buck Sweep Keep Pass a few times a season but these are TD plays!

At this time of year we'd be done with Spring Practice and we'd analyze what looked good and what our players could do well. We would have experimented with some new wrinkles and need to decide what we should keep and what perhaps to discard. Those of you in HS should just be going into Spring Practice and preparing for your 7on7 summer leagues so don't be afraid to experiment! Now is the time to do it when it doesn't count. I would then work on my playbook in May and June and have it in the player's hands by July 1st. This was critical for us in order to give the freshmen a chance. This also showed me who took time to learn their assignments prior to camp.

Rich Erdelyi

Thread Information