Thread: Belly or Down Sweep

1. Default Belly or Down Sweep

Is anybody running the belly or down sweep? I need specifics on timing and I would love to know if anybody is trying to run it from gun. Also, I would like to know what formations you are using to run it. Thanks.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CoachMcL View Post
    Is anybody running the belly or down sweep? I need specifics on timing and I would love to know if anybody is trying to run it from gun. Also, I would like to know what formations you are using to run it. Thanks.
    Here are some specifics we use with regard to the backfield action when running Belly Sweep...

QB- Belly Steps, long hip-to-hip ride, turn back to the LOS, hand off to WB, 3 step drop

FB- Belly Steps, stay low and maintain speed, head back to center

BC- Aiming point is through FB's hand (our FB is in a 3 pt stance with heels at 4.5/5), adjust speed as needed

Note, the key is the ride and the QB keeping the ball hidden. We tell the QB he needs to be a magician. Hope that helps.

PS- We run it out of most of our formations, but haven't run it from the gun.

We run the Belly Sweep pretty religiously. Timing can be tricky, but it depends a lot on what you're doing with your line. We reach with everyone, but the backside guard. He pulls and leads outside for us. Our FB rides the belly fake then bends it inside replacing for the pulling guard. Potential issues are the guard running into the QB if the QB steps too flat, the guard running into the FB if the FB ride and bend back isn't timed and spaced right, and the guard running into the insertion of the halfback if he just got there too early, or if the halfback is too slow. The solution for us has been lots and lots of bird dogging. We'll bird dog our Belly Sweep everyday for a couple weeks when we're installing. We gradually get faster and faster with it. If they start running into each other again after we thought we had it, we go back to bird dogging.

We're a strictly under-center team, but we run it out any formation we have where we have a dive back and a wing opposite him, basic Right and Left.

Our Spread Look

----Y O O C O O------------------X
    -----------Q------Z

----H------F

Spread with an Over Call

X------------Y O O C O O
    --------------------Q------Z

---------------H----F

Surprisingly, Right/Left with an Over Call to the Nub.

---------------O O C O O Y--------------------X
    --------------------Q-------Z

---------------H----F

Mainly, we generally have success running it out of the formations that we run our Belly out of well. Everything hinges on a successful Belly play.

We considered going to gun at one point, and one of the main reasons we didn't was because our Belly Sweep didn't look any good to me anymore. There are ways to do it out of a pistol look, but the deception element is what allows the play to hit, and once you snap it back there to a QB and everyone can see the ball the sell is a lot harder. I saw it mostly ran out of a formation like this:

X------------O O C O O Y
    ---------------------------Z
    -------------H----Q

-------------------F

Snap to the Q, Q will sometimes open directly to the F, then do either a traditional hip to hip ball fake or a kind of option looking shuffle step fake with the FB, then he swings it back and gives to the Z. I've also seen the Q reverse out and give to the F, hip to hip ride, and swing it back to the Z. I liked this better because it hid the ball more. There are people who do it, but it's didn't seem as convincing to me as under center.
    Last edited by jhanes45; 06-19-2018 at 09:29 AM.

Thread Information