Thread: WB rule on Down Play

Default WB rule on Down Play

As it makes sense to me the rule for the Wing on Down is:

Do not block anyone on the line of scrimmage.
    If the end man on the LOS is lined up head up to outside, go through down steps inside him and block the first backer inside.
    If the end man on the LOS is lined up inside shade, take steps down as if to down block him, but then go outside him and find the first backer inside.

I could be wrong on that. Most often I'm seeing the rules just say: Backer Block Inside.

Basically it seems like there is a lot more to this block than that basic rule, and it's a crucial block. I've read a lot on how important this block is, and yet, the explanation is 3 words. I know the play won't ever be perfect, but I want to have a better understanding of it than what I do. A few big questions:

1. How would you write out the rule?

In the film that I've watched, sometimes the Wing goes inside the DE, then fans out to block a corner, or an OLB. The same will occasionally happen when the WB goes outside the DE. It looks so odd when his track is so far inside only to bend back and go block the corner or OLB. Being a Buck Sweep guy, we drill into our Wing's head "Never to get a man outside. Stay on your track. Head up-field if no one is there, but don't go for guys outside. Guards will figure them out." They obviously are different plays, but the point stands, if I tell my "Wing Backer Block Inside," I wouldn't think I'd be wanting him bending it outside to get an OLB, or worse, a corner. Unless he's supposed to and I'm getting it wrong somehow.

2. Is this a similar read as a BSG pull on Bucksweep, where they look inside first, then scan to the outside for their man, or do they try to make the decision pre-snap?

Sometimes when the WB takes the track to go outside the DE it looks like he's too slow getting to the backer. He either doesn't get the block at all or he becomes almost another obstacle for the fullback. Some bruiser full backs are just running their wings over. Other times their trying to bend around them and it just looks awkward. It seems like there has got to be some hard rules about going outside the DE, because sometimes the angles don't make sense - especially if the wing has to take any kind of outside step in doing so.

3. How does the WB know when to go inside the DE or when - if at all - to go outside? What's the hard fast rule?

This is encompasses every clip I could find on YouTube of Downs, so several different teams, but a lot of the same circumstances.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jhanes45; 06-18-2018 at 11:57 PM.

2. Default

We don't over teach this...

1st LBer to the inside- Down Step, aiming point through the DE's hip, punch through with inside arm and scrape the DE's backside, collision inside LB with a proper shoulder block, maintain contact until the echo of the whistle.

We never go inside the DE when running Down. It becomes a cluster. Run TE side Belly, if you want the WB to fold inside.

Quote Originally Posted by EM44 View Post
    We don't over teach this...

1st LBer to the inside- Down Step, aiming point through the DE's hip, punch through with inside arm and scrape the DE's backside, collision inside LB with a proper shoulder block, maintain contact until the echo of the whistle.

We never go inside the DE when running Down. It becomes a cluster. Run TE side Belly, if you want the WB to fold inside.
    So does your WB actually graze the back of the DE as he passes on the outside?

4. Default

We always block the first LB inside of the WB's alignment.

We do teach the WB to "influence" the DE that is on the TE - We want the DE to think that it is a Bucksweep Down Block. So we will sometimes make physical contact with him in an attempt to get that DE to react to the WB. If the DE just leans outside or slows down his squeeze to the inside, then our PSG can kick him out. The WB then always continues to the 2nd level for that first LB inside.

We have never gone in front of a DE - I suppose, if he is lined up outside of the WB we would.

The toughest issue for us on this play is when a team plays that DE on an inside shade of our TE. That is a situation in which we have changed the rules and had the TE block out.... but the WB still goes down and blocks the LB inside.... the WB doesn't influence in this situation because the TE's release has influenced that DE.

Our rule is written as "Influence, to First LB inside"

Back in the day, when teams ran old time 4-4, they lined up the olb inside the DE, head up to the TE and the DE outside the wing. The TE would be able to block the inside LB so the wing would block outside on the DE. That is the only time I had seen what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by jsanny View Post
    Back in the day, when teams ran old time 4-4, they lined up the olb inside the DE, head up to the TE and the DE outside the wing. The TE would be able to block the inside LB so the wing would block outside on the DE. That is the only time I had seen what you are talking about.
    In watching the films, I'm noticing that the situations where the Wing is walling off the man outside is when teams are playing a 4-4. There's a DE, and an OLB lined up wide outside the Wing. TE ends up going to Middle backer, Wing back takes the same initial footwork we've talked about, but then walls off the OLB instead of heading to the MLB with the TE.

Default original down rules

here's from the wing -t sacred text

see attached.

we don't run it. we run a wide trap on the end with qb.

Name:  New Doc 2018-06-20.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  80.9 KB

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jhanes45 View Post
    So does your WB actually graze the back of the DE as he passes on the outside?
    Yes. we teach our WB to punch threw the DE's near cheek, and scrape his back.

Default Wing's Block on Down

to "coachhanes45": there is a difference between the "rule" and the "technique." If you added all of that "explanation" to everyone's rules, each page of your playbook would be 9-10 pages long. Have your Wing learn his "rule" then your RB coach teaches him his technique. And... what you stated as the Wing's technique sounded real good to me!!! Blessings, Lew

Thanks everyone for all your info! I feel much more comfortable installing this now.

Thread Information