Thread: Dilemma with my best player

Default Dilemma with my best player

So my best player/athlete is our TE/End receiver. I'm a first year year Wing-T coach (as a head coach.) He's a darn good blocker and a darn good receiver. THe only problem is that he's not really interested in moving to Wing or FB where he would be a beast. He's 6'2", 200. (He doesn't fit the QB mold. We already have a very solid QB.) He finally agreed he would be open to be put in a 'package' of plays once we get down the basics (trap, buck trap, waggle, etc) We're more in the Creehan style.

Anyway, what would you guys suggest as a 'package' to get this guy more touches?

Getting TE the ball :
    * Waggle to the TE or Waggle away from TE (crossing route)
    * Belly Keep Pass to TE or away from TE
    * Boot away from TE as he runs Crossing route
    *Counter Boot away from TE
    *3 Step Quick Game - have a 'default" rule for the TE
    * Sprint to SE or Trips and then Screen Back to TE

Hope this helps !

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Dierick View Post
    Getting TE the ball :
    * Waggle to the TE or Waggle away from TE (crossing route)
    * Belly Keep Pass to TE or away from TE
    * Boot away from TE as he runs Crossing route
    *Counter Boot away from TE
    *3 Step Quick Game - have a 'default" rule for the TE
    * Sprint to SE or Trips and then Screen Back to TE

Hope this helps !
    Yup. I can definitely throw it to him a lot, but I want to get him more involved in the running game if I can. He's, by far, my best player and I can get him the ball in different ways via throwing the ball, but he could change the game running the ball, IMO.

Default Best Player

Coach: Please email me at coachlewj@gmail.com. I can send you some material and Hudl that I think you'll find of interest and value!
    Blessings,
    Lew

5. Default

We had an 'End' Around play out of Red/Blue for the TE that we used in the trap series. Crack for the X. GDB for HB, T, G, C. Backside Guard pulls outside hip of the HB's down block to outside hip of the crack running through 1st unblocked threat. Backside Tackle Scoops playside cutting off 'B' gap. FB runs weakside trap fill. QB fakes trap, gets one more step of depth with his back to the defense and ball in his belly and hands to the TE on the end around. QB then follows out his waggle path. Wing releases for TD block or we split him as a flanker to lighten the box.

We also ran Tackle Trap with the TE utilizing a strong side belly fake. It doesn't matter if you run belly to the strong side or not....which you can with the TE fold.....the defense will still react. This is better out of Red/Blue with Belly motion from the HB. Gets the defense flowing.

Hope this helps.

Here is what I would do. Make a Wild Cat Package for him.

All your Wing-t Stuff put him at QB:

QB Power
    QB Sweep
    QB Belly
    QB Trap
    QB Missile (Old Pop Warner QB Sweep. Get ball and run to outside.) We block it with Jet blocking
    QB XX (No double hand off

Make it unbalanced. Bounce the WB to get more players to point of attack.

Have fun with it.
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

I loved Bryan's Wildcat Package with the TE @QB. I think if you put him in the Gun you'd have less teaching just utilize what you're doing blocking wise.

A play that would be great for him under center was a play I called Waggle Block. We'd line up in trips to the TE with the SE backside. In Red trips the LH lined up as a flanker to the right. Here were the assignments:

LH: Flanker run a take off/clear out route
    RH: Wing...block down on 1st man inside(usually 9 tech)
    TE: Release inside as on Waggle and run a 12-16 yard banana
    RT: Gap-Down-On
    RG: Pull as on Waggle log 1st outside RH down block (Usually PSILB)
    OC: Reach-On-Away
    LG: Pull as on Waggle Right. Allow FB to clear. Personal protector for QB
    RT: Shutoff B gap area
    FB: Waggle Right technique. Left foot for OC right foot. Adjust to B gap. Block if threatened. Slide delayed to flat no deeper than 5 yards.
    SE: Run a Post through CF.
    QB: Reverse pivot right foot on midline. 2nd step @ 45 clearing the FB. There is no fake to RH on Waggle as he's blocking down so it's a full sprint reading 3 level stretch...LH/TE/FB.

The QB probably ran the ball 8 times for every time he threw it. The play is basically a QB Buck Sweep with passing options. The TE was usually the guy.

We also ran Down from this formation because of the conflict created. Belly Down Pass was also great with the wing in the flat, LH clearing out, TE running the banana 8-12. When the FS came downhill on the TE we'd hit the SE deep on Down Pass Throwback. We also ran 3 step drop to the SE flank which usually was soft coverage with our boot to the 3 levels backside. All of these plays were run on the first sound. You could motion to the trips but I liked lining up in it quickly and snapping the ball.

Just some food for thought.

Rich Erdelyi

Thanks coach. Waggle block is a great RPO!
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

Thread Information