Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blitzing through pulling guard holes.

Default Blitzing through pulling guard holes.

What do you coaches do when teams blitz through the pulling guard holes with their backers?

Trap pops at times and is stuffed other times. I do like rocket but what else do you guys do?

Shouldn't there be a player blocking down in the Gap the puller is coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by CoachSchelb View Post
    Shouldn't there be a player blocking down in the Gap the puller is coming from?
    By design yes. When they are gassing with backers often your backfield gets overloaded making counters, tackle trap difficult.

Whenever I see backers blitzing gaps. I'm telling my tackles to tighten their splits, run 122/928 with the backside guard pulling only. Or simply run 939/131 Power Sweep with the FB replacing the PSG. Running a Pop Pass To the TE where the blitzing backers vacated is a bonus. Have at least one middle screen pass on hand for this issue as well.

As my friend Lew Johnson has said on this site many times "Don't attack walled cities" which was actually from Tubby. Colonel Perry is spot on with running Power and Power Sweep because you need Gap Control plays. If we saw a team with heavy Double A or A/B stunt tendencies we would not even have Trap, Gut, Belly Ctr etc in the plan. Our counters would be Jet XX, Rocket Counter, Joker which are all Gap Control plays and require only 1 puller and 1 back as lead blockers. Our Sprint Pkg would be big because turn back protection takes care of all of that and QB sweep is Power Sweep blocking so all the gaps are accounted for.

As always write or call with questions.

Rich Erdelyi

6. Default

what about counter XX from buck series? or is that series out the window for you?
    whats rocket counter rules? want to make sure I am on the same page.

team were playing this week is heavy blitz team, man up alot, bring alot of pressure. but they have only played 2x2, 3x1 teams.
    we will be the first under center team they have faced. i dont think they will blitz nearly as much, but.....

Quote Originally Posted by mnike23 View Post
    what about counter XX from buck series? or is that series out the window for you?
    whats rocket counter rules? want to make sure I am on the same page.

team were playing this week is heavy blitz team, man up alot, bring alot of pressure. but they have only played 2x2, 3x1 teams.
    we will be the first under center team they have faced. i dont think they will blitz nearly as much, but.....
    This is where we are having the issue, with the other team bringing heavy pressure with their backers/slanting etc. our XX and Tackle Trap plays have been non-existent. Rocket has been good and as one of the other coaches said and I think I needed a friendly reminder, we don't attack walled cities. Looking at the film a seam pass to the TE/Wing would've backed them off.

Counter XX from Buck Sweep series would be fine since you'd only have 1 puller and you could use the FB as your kick out man. It would be gap control and use the same rules as I'll give you for Rocket Counter Red formation:
    TE:Shutoff
    RT:Pull through hole. Wall-off
    RG:On-Area-Away
    OC:Post-On-Away
    LG:Gap-Post-Lead(Campie call vs.3 tech)
    LT:Gap-Lead-Backer-Influence left
    SE:Crossfield. Block up @hole.
    QB:Reverse pivot. Fake Rocket Toss. Outside HO to wing. Fake KP.
    RH:BC. Drop Step aim 1/2yd in front of FB. Follow FB&BST.
    LH:Fake Rocket Sweep. Stay wide.
    FBive for PSG. Kick out 5/9 tech or OLB. Listen for Campie call.

The Campie call was made to alert the FB that he had to kick out the 5 tech. Campie was my FB when I started using this scheme in 1996. We needed it if they reduced the front (Eagle or EagleG with a 3&5 on the SE side and a 0/1/2 on the Center. The Center would block that man and we'd double the 3 with the PST/PSG to the BSILB.

Hope this helps. Any questions write or call. My email is: coacherdelyi@gmail.com

Rich Erdelyi

Thanks coach. Didn't think about only pulling one lineman and having the FB kick. Great idea.

I've seen guys make a "stay" call to the frontside guard and leave him in.

If you think about it, you need 1 less puller since the backer is cancelling himself out and leaving the 2nd level.

It's an order of football, right? So if one play is in trouble, there is a compliment. If you don't have a counter, and a pass with it, that's a problem.

Waggle will kill them if you can protect it. No one on drag man.
    We open our gameplanning each week with "how are we going to block waggle".
    Waggle can handle anything.

Gap scheme is huge here.

change snap count.

we stole some motion, pause, retrace, motion again stuff from option teams and it's cooled their jets a bit.

--Andy Cammarano

Thread Information