Thread: Buck Sweep Against 4 Tech, or 4i Tech with stacked backer

Default Buck Sweep Against 4 Tech, or 4i Tech with stacked backer

We won a real tight game 14-21 on Friday, but we struggled to run our Sweep consistently. After looking at the film it's a tough situation, and I'm curious on any insight the group may have.

Here's the defense
    .....................................S............ .....
    ................................B.......B......... ....
    .................................................. .....
    ..CB................B.....E.T..N.....T..T..E.....
    X............................O.O.X.O.O.Y........
    ....................................Q.........Z... ...
    ............................H......F.............. ...

Perhaps a little difficult to see and the Safety roamed around a lot: sometimes weak, sometimes strong, sometimes in the box, but the main issues are these:

1. The DT over our Tightside Tackle is either in 4, or 4i Technique. By rules if he's in a 4 tech our Y will take him, the issue though is that if the Y takes the DT, our tackle now goes up to backer, but there's no way he can get to the play side backer based on his angle, so he has to work to the backside LB. Our Z ends up taking the Tackle lined up over our Y, and the guard kicks out the DE. The play side backer ends up being unblocked and he flowed hard to the Sweep. Our backside guard would end up meeting him at the Line of Scrimmage, and was blown backwards most of the time. If the DT is lined up in a 4i, the rules work out - Tackle takes the 4i, Y goes to the playside backer, Z takes the tackle, DE gets kicked by the guard and the backside guard leads up looking for the Safety or anyone flowing.

So basically coming back to the 4 Tech with the Playside backer is this just the situation we gotta deal with: the backside guard trying to deal with the flowing backer as he turns the corner at the LOS? Or am I seeing something wrong?

2. Should our Center be picking up the Nose Tackle shaded weakside or should he be working up to backer playside and letting the F deal with that guy? Our guy ended up blocking backside the whole game and it just looked odd.

3. The plays that hit for us were Trap, Tackle Trap, Belly X-Block, and Waggle. We did have one Sweep hit for 70 yards, but overall Sweeps got stuffed most of the game by that backer flowing and blowing up our Backside guard turning into the hole. We're not looking to reinvent ourselves or anything, but if there are plays you'd run against this specific defense that could be fun to know.

Overall looking for the answer to how to block that 4 Tech while covering the backer, and if the Center is responsible for a Weak side shaded nose on Sweep.

Thanks! Hope everyone's seasons are going well. We're 5-0 right now, so off to a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by jhanes45 View Post
    We won a real tight game 14-21 on Friday, but we struggled to run our Sweep consistently. After looking at the film it's a tough situation, and I'm curious on any insight the group may have.

Here's the defense

Perhaps a little difficult to see and the Safety roamed around a lot: sometimes weak, sometimes strong, sometimes in the box, but the main issues are these:

1. The DT over our Tightside Tackle is either in 4, or 4i Technique. By rules if he's in a 4 tech our Y will take him, the issue though is that if the Y takes the DT, our tackle now goes up to backer, but there's no way he can get to the play side backer based on his angle, so he has to work to the backside LB. Our Z ends up taking the Tackle lined up over our Y, and the guard kicks out the DE. The play side backer ends up being unblocked and he flowed hard to the Sweep. Our backside guard would end up meeting him at the Line of Scrimmage, and was blown backwards most of the time. If the DT is lined up in a 4i, the rules work out - Tackle takes the 4i, Y goes to the playside backer, Z takes the tackle, DE gets kicked by the guard and the backside guard leads up looking for the Safety or anyone flowing.

So basically coming back to the 4 Tech with the Playside backer is this just the situation we gotta deal with: the backside guard trying to deal with the flowing backer as he turns the corner at the LOS? Or am I seeing something wrong?

2. Should our Center be picking up the Nose Tackle shaded weakside or should he be working up to backer playside and letting the F deal with that guy? Our guy ended up blocking backside the whole game and it just looked odd.

3. The plays that hit for us were Trap, Tackle Trap, Belly X-Block, and Waggle. We did have one Sweep hit for 70 yards, but overall Sweeps got stuffed most of the game by that backer flowing and blowing up our Backside guard turning into the hole. We're not looking to reinvent ourselves or anything, but if there are plays you'd run against this specific defense that could be fun to know.

Overall looking for the answer to how to block that 4 Tech while covering the backer, and if the Center is responsible for a Weak side shaded nose on Sweep.

Thanks! Hope everyone's seasons are going well. We're 5-0 right now, so off to a good start.
    Hey coach congratulations on the victory glad everything turned out good so far!! From what I see that you have drawn up if you had ran some sort of power running 31 or 39 power or ran buck sweep to the weak side, you would've been in great shape. Gut blocking from 22/28 would've helped you as well when it comes to walling off a stacked linebacker. Your Center always took on the first threat over him which is never a problem, but when your A gaps is threatened your FB must account for the opposite Gap of which your Center takes on and it varies from play to play with a good ball fake . Review your film and see if your ball fakes and deception from your waggles could've been better.

Were you running any Counter or Counter XX? That would've stopped that LB as well.
    Bottom line...you defeated a team which was hell-bent on stopping the bucksweep but they forgot about the other missles and bombs in the artillery!!
    Hope that works and I'm sure you will receive plenty more advice as well room this great group of coaches here!!

Wow. That is a lot of people on the line.

Every year we play someone who is SO ganged up on the line that we need answers.

2 plays that always work, and no matter how cute we try to get it always comes back to a) belly pass b) waggle.

We put in blair hubbard's rocket and that has been a godsend for people stopping our "d gap" play of buck sweep.

We've also found that qb run is helpful opposite the te wing because most people don't account for him (but we're in the gun).

Glad to see you guys are 5-0. We're off to a rough start but getting better.

Andy Cammarano, Spotswood

4. Default

Looking at that i would immediately attack the B Gap to the TE side. Midline, FB Trap, Belly, even QB Sneak. or outside with Rocket or Jet Sweep.

Thanks for everyone's input. We put in a B gap play to attack the bubble there, and are doing well. Still a tough situation to run sweep, but they're giving us other stuff.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jhanes45 View Post

Here's the defense

my best answer is falls in line with the old masters,
    attack em where they aint!
    dont attack walled cities.

they are hell bent on stopping buck sweep, run trap until they adjust, it looks taylor made for trap to be honest. which I believe you said you did.
    i would run belly weak, and run it "apples" to the a gap weak and have the lead thru on the center hip. fan everyone out both sides and let the big boy eat up the free 3+ yards.
    im sure there is alot more, thats the first 2 things I see!
    glad you won!

Thread Information