Thread: Formation System

1. Default Formation System

Does anyone have a concise formation system they use to run many formation besides the traditional 100/900 system? I have always used tags (ex...right over) but it seems to have gotten very wordy.

Coach, we did a very similar setup. One of the things that I've done in the past is when we are using a very wordy formation is to just create a new word for the formation.

For example, to get us a four man unbalanced formation we'd have to say "Red Right Tight L". When we found ourselves using that formation alot we just called it "Thunder"

I know Coach Elrod has a pretty solidly put together formation system that I've borrowed from in the past.

Default Formation Naming

Coach Schelb is "right on the money!" The kids don't care what name you give a formation. Use birds, animals, NFL nicknames to designate formations. It's all good.... but stay away from the "wordiness!"

Default Colors

We use colors for most our formations with tags for backs.
    Ex Red is our base set but Right puts WR to TE side.
    EX Blue if we want to go WR over Left
    Play Call Example. We use codes for our plays but I just put Run Play Name.
    Red Buck Rt
    Right Buck Rt
    Blue Buck Lt
    Left Buck Lt
    Tag Ex
    Red Lite
    Blue Lite
    Right Slot
    Left Heavy
    Red Weak
    Green Strong
    Yellow Trey
    Purple
    Gold Deuce

5. Default

everything is a play on words, using r and l.
    have designated that the Tight end will always go to the r/l call.
    right, left
    rip, liz
    rob, lou
    razor, lazor
    ricky, lucky
    rio/leo
    red/blue(of course because they are already in the system!)

i like to tag off those words,
    rip stack,
    rob far
    razor flip
    ricky bunch
    etc...
    all about how creative you want to be!

theres plenty of words to use,
    like coach lew johnston said, the kids could care less what they are called,
    if you have a somewhat mature kids, you can ask for their input on things. kids sometimes have great ideas!!!

That is the number 1 reason that I went to the Delaware system. I suggest you find a system that you are comfortable with, Delaware, Carnegie Mellon, Paul Connor, Denny Creehan, Cumberland, etc.. You can actually yell out the plays from the sideline and the other team wouldn't even know what you were saying. Not too many wing-t people out there .

7. Default re

Quote Originally Posted by jsanny View Post
    That is the number 1 reason that I went to the Delaware system. I suggest you find a system that you are comfortable with, Delaware, Carnegie Mellon, Paul Connor, Denny Creehan, Cumberland, etc.. You can actually yell out the plays from the sideline and the other team wouldn't even know what you were saying. Not too many wing-t people out there .
    i have seriously considered going full delaware terminology
    have done regular 20,80, etc
    have used 100/900 in terms of calling the formation
    but never the full numbering system. always felt like it was too much for the kids to learn, etc....

giving it serious considerations.

Thread Information