Thread: Clemson Bucksweep

Default Clemson Bucksweep

Many teams are not well versed with running Bucksweep from shotgun or pistol formations. As I was studying some of this game film, There was plenty of errors made during these plays. Whether it was lack of effort, or simply not knowing the reads, this will be a good guide to teach many people what to avoid when running the Bucksweep.

Below is the link to the game film on Clemson's Bucksweep

https://youtu.be/ge5ZSa2OwoY

Default Clemson

Thanks Coach! An excellent look at the play!

Coach, out of curiosity what were some of the major problems you noticed in the video?

Quote Originally Posted by CoachSchelb View Post
    Coach, out of curiosity what were some of the major problems you noticed in the video?
    The backside guard wasn't fast enough to lead the ball carrier through the hole. Another on was The Inside Receiver not using a good angle to crack block the inside backer. It was just poorly ran with no adjustments. There was also a time when the Defense had five players outside the B Gap!!! I Another thing I saw was poor execution on FB's log block.

This film was after Chad Morris had left for SMU so I'm pretty certain they hadn't practiced it much with the new group of coaches. It was very disappointing to watch overall but still a learning experience.

5. Default

I find it interesting that in all of the clips, the H-Back (or in some cases the TE) is outside of the OT, which makes him outside of or head up of the DE that he is assigned to block. This keeps in in line with the old-school Wing T philosophy of a DOWN BLOCK (even though he appears to be reaching the DE often). As I understood part of the beauty of the play was the ability to run power and KICK OUT that defender with similar action. Doesn't Auburn try to align their H-Back directly behind their OT so that he can KICK OUT that DE when run power, or he can LOG that DE when run bucksweep? In these alignments, Clemson would need to use another player (PSG, TB?) to Kick out that DE.

For what it is worth, we are an Under Center team and we haven't ever done the shotgun Wing T. I am just hoping to discuss putting that DE in conflict.

Absolutely!! Gus ran the Delaware Wing T so he knows the proper alignments. They were trying to run bucksweep with jet sweep split adjustments which is a recipe for disaster. No matter how fast you are you have to let things develop. Even the Roadrunner slowed down to observe a situation lol. Most of the time in the gun, without a fb trap threat only the backside guard is pulled for the 22/28 Sweep or Gut adjustment. Soon as I come across some decent game film with Tulsa or Auburn I'll pass it along.

Quote Originally Posted by lewjohnston View Post
    Thanks Coach! An excellent look at the play!
    Coach Lew what's your expert analysis on this here film we're breaking down?

The PSG uses poor pull technique. He never pulls with depth and has trouble getting around the edge. The BSG also uses poor technique and is a bit slow. The BC often rushes the play not allowing the guards to get in phase and doesn't make a square cut. I don't know if it's the scheme or the way it's being taught but the back assigned to the down block should keep going down but he tries to always block the EMOLS. Many of the Pin and Pull teams teach this as did Lombardi on the GB Sweep. They had that big TE from Michigan, Ron Kramer who could take the OLB in the Pro 4-3 any way he wanted to go with the PSG reading the TE block. The Pin and Pull guys would prefer to pin the EMOLOS with the slot or FB having the SE crack the ILB and the PSG kick the corner and the BSG for the safety or the other ILB.

The previous writer is correct in that Auburn would line the Sniffer back in the B gap and he'd log the 5 tech who usually squeezed the PST down block making an easy log. When I watched Auburn running the play the PSG took a great kick out with depth step and seemed to always get around the log of the Sniffer. The SE would crack the ILB and they had a great play. I've seen them put Twins to the right, fake Jet Sweep left and run Buck Sweep right. Talk about eye candy! I'm trying to get our local HS to do it.

As always, write or call with questions. I'm glad to help if I can.

Rich Erdelyi

Thread Information