Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Back

Default Wing Back

I've ran bucksweep for many years and have had a lot of success with it but one problem continues to haunt me and hurt the play. Can anyone offer me any advice on the wing backs block? I usually have a 145 pound kid there who is usually a great jet runner going the other direction but not big enough to make the block on the edge. I could put a bigger player their but then I lose my Jet guy. We currently line our wing at 1 foot by 1 foot. His first step is a 6 inch lateral step and then we teach him to block first man in his path. Problem is this is very often a much bigger player who just blows him back into the play. Any help?

2. Default

We started angling the WB. turned so he his facing straight through the outside foot of the TE. REally just told them that the down block is a board drill. fire off low and hard into the DE's hips. We teach them how to block technique wise, but its more about attitude.

Thanks, I will give that a try. Do you put your wing in a 3 point or 2 point?

4. Default

three

Do you run jetsweep or rocket?

Default Wingback

OK... I'll bring out a couple of things that have helped us over the years.
    First: which is more important? To run buck sweep to the TE/WB flank OR Jet to the SE flank? You may have to make a choice! We've always tried to find a bigger back to play Wing. His qualifications are: 1- Willing (*notice I didn't say "able!!!" more on that in a minute) to block. 2- Pass Receiver. then... 3- a runner! Jet to the SE side is a great play; but, I'm not sure you need a real "speedster" there at Wing to run it effectively! (My opinion, I know! But it's based on running this grrrrrrrreat offense for 30 years.)
    Then... yes: TILT him in! Step with his inside foot at the outside foot of the TE and "blast off!" NO hesitation. If the defender steps around you, let him go! "Stay on your path!" We NEVER allow him to penetrate between the TE and us, though!
    Now the key for us: I have told our RB's for years: "We win the battle with our FEET and our hearts!" Feet: RB's have the best feet on the team! Use that quickness to your advantage. Get on that guy and STAY on that guy... by working your feet like crazy! Be a Bull Terrier- latch on and don't let go till the whistle! Heart: You just gotta "want it." Coach just said it in his post: a lot of blocking is just attitude!
    Finally... we spend a lot of time early in the season with our RB's on the 2 man sled. I have a couple of doc's on blocking the buck sweep. If you'd like a copy (anyone!) my email is: coachlewj@gmail.com.
    By the way... I am honored to have been asked to speak by Coach Herm' at the National Wing T Clinic in 2 weeks. I hope to see a bunch of you guys there! Please come up and say hello!
    Blessings,
    Lew

coach lew, thanks for the advice. Very helpful. Do you put your wing in a 3 point?

Default Wingback

Coach: If we're able to replicate "it" the way Tubby did, that is how we do it! All 3 RB's are "up" in a 2 point stance. and... I might add: we don't "fight" about that dreaded "drop step" they always want to take. It's actually faster to let them take the step than to force them to NOT take it. They stay in their stance tooooo long trying to keep from drop stepping!!! We emphasize making that drop step very short and very quick!

You've received some great ideas. I'd like to add my 2 cents. Watch the wing's feet. They should be staggered with the inside foot at least in a toe to instep relationship. Tell the wing to curl his toes as if he were in sand. This helps avoid the drop step. I heard my friend Gerry Gallagher used this as a coaching point he used at a camp we were working 35 years ago and I adopted it. The first step should be at the inside foot of the TE. His assignment is the first free man inside which is usually the 9 technique who usually is trying to squeeze the TE keeping him off the 5 tech or PSILB. If the 9 tech is a reader and not a squeezer we would adjust on the 2nd step and use an inside shoulder block with the head up the field since he is not firing the gap.

As Lew said it is more about attitude than anything and repetition, repetition, repetition. Some of my best blockers at Carnegie Mellon were 5'9/160 kids who wanted to play and understood #1 BLOCKING, #2 receiving, #3 running ability in that order determined playing time as well as knowledge of assignment. Technique is the key and this was worked on every day in individual period.

Write or call with questions. I'm always glad to help.

Rich Erdelyi

Coach,

All great stuff above. Especially the wing/dive stance of staggered with inside foot back.

You know how many times i've said to a kid," you know why your motion is bad? your stance is bad!"

We've had tiny wings alot. Best thing we could do to help them was to run power at the first guy on or inside. Makes him seal conscious. Helps the little guy by sucking the down block further down.

Finally, we always say "hips have no max out lift" i.e. attack his weakpoints, not his arms or chest or thighs.

The guys above are like a mini clinic

Thread Information