Thread: Play Calling that is Concise and Clear

Default Play Calling that is Concise and Clear

Currently the play calling that we use doesn't use the traditional 3 Number approach. What we do follows this format:

[SHIFT] [FORMATION] [FORMATION TAG] [MOTION] [BACK #] [HOLE #] [SERIES] [PLAY] [POSSIBLE PASS PRO] [CADENCE] [CADENCE]

It ends up sounding like...

Jump to Right Over 28 Buck Sweep on Down, on Down

So that'd mean the backs and tight end would start in a Left (900) formation, then on the first sound they'd shift to a Right (100) formation. Over means that our Split End will actually be on the same side as the Y, and he will actually start there as opposed to shifting with the backs. The play is being run to our 2 Back, to the 8 Hole. It is on Down.

or

Red Split Creep 32 Buck Trap on Down, on Down

No Shift, start in Red, Slow Mo from the H, 3 Back gets the ball, hits the 2 hole, Buck Series, Trap Play, On Down. The issue is that as plays get more complex it starts to get really confusing to the kids, and even for me at times.

Trade Ram Minus Zoom 48 Belly Rocket on Go, on Go is one that I can see myself stumbling through as I tell it to the our X, who runs in our plays, and then I feel like often a game of Telephone can ensue. We had several times this year when we either ran the wrong play, or had to call timeout because our QB wasn't sure what was going on because the X forgot the play as he ran out. Basically, I feel like we really need to simplify things. I've been doing some research on the Traditional Delaware Number system and perhaps that could be a solution.

The first play would end up sounding like

Jump to Over 128 on Down, on Down. Our kids are en-grained in the Right holes 2, 4, 6, 8; left holes 1, 3, 5, 7 and I feel like switching that up would just make them more confused.

Split Red Creep 122 On Down, On Down.

This sounds pretty clear and concise to me. I wonder if some motions like the Creep call or the Zoom call to tell backs to go in motion is necessary. The H just needs to know that if we're in Red or Blue he needs to go Slow Mo, or the Wing should just know that on a Rocket Toss he needs to go in motion. I'm working with 9th graders, so memory capacity isn't as sharp as a Varsity crew. What are some things you guys have done that you feel like have been successful?
    Last edited by GapDownBacker; 02-04-2019 at 07:34 PM.

Our backs know if the play is Jet Rt., it's the left wing running Jet motion. If our kids hear Counter they know we are running Jet Motion away from the call. We use our numbering system if we want any other movement.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jhanes45 View Post
    Currently the play calling that we use doesn't use the traditional 3 Number approach. What we do follows this format:

[SHIFT] [FORMATION] [FORMATION TAG] [MOTION] [BACK #] [HOLE #] [SERIES] [PLAY] [POSSIBLE PASS PRO] [CADENCE] [CADENCE]

It ends up sounding like...

Jump to Right Over 28 Buck Sweep on Down, on Down

So that'd mean the backs and tight end would start in a Left (900) formation, then on the first sound they'd shift to a Right (100) formation. Over means that our Split End will actually be on the same side as the Y, and he will actually start there as opposed to shifting with the backs. The play is being run to our 2 Back, to the 8 Hole. It is on Down.

or

Red Split Creep 32 Buck Trap on Down, on Down

No Shift, start in Red, Slow Mo from the H, 3 Back gets the ball, hits the 2 hole, Buck Series, Trap Play, On Down. The issue is that as plays get more complex it starts to get really confusing to the kids, and even for me at times.

Trade Ram Minus Zoom 48 Belly Rocket on Go, on Go is one that I can see myself stumbling through as I tell it to the our X, who runs in our plays, and then I feel like often a game of Telephone can ensue. We had several times this year when we either ran the wrong play, or had to call timeout because our QB wasn't sure what was going on because the X forgot the play as he ran out. Basically, I feel like we really need to simplify things. I've been doing some research on the Traditional Delaware Number system and perhaps that could be a solution.

The first play would end up sounding like

Jump to Over 128 on Down, on Down. Our kids are en-grained in the Right holes 2, 4, 6, 8; left holes 1, 3, 5, 7 and I feel like switching that up would just make them more confused.

Split Red Creep 122 On Down, On Down.

This sounds pretty clear and concise to me. I wonder if some motions like the Creep call or the Zoom call to tell backs to go in motion is necessary. The H just needs to know that if we're in Red or Blue he needs to go Slow Mo, or the Wing should just know that on a Rocket Toss he needs to go in motion. I'm working with 9th graders, so memory capacity isn't as sharp as a Varsity crew. What are some things you guys have done that you feel like have been successful?
    its pretty clear for sure,
    just seems like alot of words to spit out,
    I would stumble all over Trade Ram Minus Zoom 48 Belly Rocket on Go

about 10 yrs ago I took numbers totally out of the play call.
    why? we used the wristband(as one of several ways to get plays called in) and those have numbers on it,
    didnt want kids to hear 28 and look at play 28, but I wanted buck sweep, but 28 on the card is PA all go.
    to each their own,

If I wanted to call buck sweep
    100 packers right
    If I wanted to call trap
    red titan right
    If I wanted to shift, trade, move
    900 shift steeler right-dive back and wing back rotates to run power to the weak side, for example

keep it simple and kids dont think much. just my opnion, whatever works for you!

Different years we would split the calling of the play between the QB and the Center. The Center would call the formation and alignment and the QB would call the play and the count.

Thanks for all the replies! At this point we're going to shift to a more traditional 3 number system: Formation, Series, Hole. I'm excited! Stayed up pretty late just writing them all up haha.

Thread Information