Thread: Legendary Wing-T Coaches

Default Legendary Wing-T Coaches

I've been thinking a lot on what makes the great coaches great, not just from a Wing-T perspective, but in a broader sense too. Many of the often heralded programs have some kind of extreme talent advantage for one reason or another, so I'm not really talking about the teams that've won 9 consecutive state championships or anything like that, or the Nationally Ranked Top 100, but more the coach that just year-in-year-out makes the Playoffs and has very solid team under "normal" circumstances. I've seen programs that fit the ultra talent bill, and I'm just not all that impressed from a coaching prospective. "So you went undefeated with 9 Division 1 players on your roster? Congratulations." I'm also not referring to the many books that have been written on the topic by professional coaches or college coaches. Not trying to take anything away from what those teams bring to the table, but I'm much more impressed by the small time coach having a winning season for 15 years in a row. Just in the little research I've done from the areas I'm familiar with I'm starting to find that there are many Wing-T programs that really fit this model. A coach that almost regardless of talent levels consistently goes out and plays at a very competitive level: maybe a State Championship or two to their name, or maybe not, but definitely a reputation of very good football.

Coach Greg Lawrence out of Sherwood Oregon (79-12)

Coach Sid Otton, Tumwater T-Birds from Washington State (394-131)

Coach Dwaine Hatch, the Wing-T originator at Bellevue High School, in Washington (Predecessor to the Goncharoff Era Bellevue success)

Coach Paul Ingram, Gloucester High School (84-10)

Frequently in this forum, Lew Johnston out of Virginia (197-85)

I've been trying to reach out to these coaches and basically just ask the question, "What were some key points of your career that lead to your success?" The only one I've actually be able to contact has been Coach Dwaine Hatch, and his immediate response was awesome from a Wing-T perspective: "The Cross-Block Belly coach. That is a great play!" Followed by a lot of laughing, and reminiscing about how many times he'd ran it in a row. Though I wasn't looking necessarily for Wing-T specifics that was a lot of what Coach Hatch had to talk about. As well as an emphasis on details, sticking to the system, and getting buy-in from your players.

I'm curious if anyone on this forum knows of a coach that would fit this "consistently good program" mold that I may be able to reach out to, or if you've had the chance to work with, speak to, or listen to such a coach and you could summarize some of the key take-aways they may have to the question.

Default Coaches

Jhanes: I would love to talk Wing T with you. My email is coachlewj@gmail.com. Please write me!!! Blessings, Lew

Some Michigan coaches that have done really well with the Wing-T...

Irvin Sigler (Belding HS, then Olivet College...I believe he now helps his son, Irv, at Wyoming HS) - Coach Sigler is active on Twitter (@cometfb1Irvin) and really knows his stuff.

John Shillito (Muskegon Orchard View, East Kentwood, now at Zeeland West) - Coach Shillito runs mainly Full T but is also incredibly knowledgable and willing to share. His email can be found on Zeeland West website: https://www.zps.org/schools/grades-6...hs-zwhs-staff/

Default Legends

I'd like to add my friend and colleague, Denny Diericx, to the list of Wing T coaching legends.
    Denny coached in IL for 13 seasons and was 121-30 with 9 Conference titles. His team also was state runner-ups in 92 and 93. Coach reallllllly knows the Wing T!

Just so you guys know, if you didn't already, Coach Johnston has a book out answering this exact question, with a few Wing-T diversions in it as well. I've found it was everything I was looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S5EB6CY/ref=docs-os-doi_0

A successful Wing T coach I'm familiar with in my area is Bob Doyle from Chardon, Ohio. From 1979-2000 he went 159-81 with a Division II State Championship in 1994.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GapDownBacker View Post
    I've been thinking a lot on what makes the great coaches great, not just from a Wing-T perspective, but in a broader sense too. Many of the often heralded programs have some kind of extreme talent advantage for one reason or another, so I'm not really talking about the teams that've won 9 consecutive state championships or anything like that, or the Nationally Ranked Top 100, but more the coach that just year-in-year-out makes the Playoffs and has very solid team under "normal" circumstances. I've seen programs that fit the ultra talent bill, and I'm just not all that impressed from a coaching prospective. "So you went undefeated with 9 Division 1 players on your roster? Congratulations." I'm also not referring to the many books that have been written on the topic by professional coaches or college coaches. Not trying to take anything away from what those teams bring to the table, but I'm much more impressed by the small time coach having a winning season for 15 years in a row. Just in the little research I've done from the areas I'm familiar with I'm starting to find that there are many Wing-T programs that really fit this model. A coach that almost regardless of talent levels consistently goes out and plays at a very competitive level: maybe a State Championship or two to their name, or maybe not, but definitely a reputation of very good football.

Coach Greg Lawrence out of Sherwood Oregon (79-12)

Coach Sid Otton, Tumwater T-Birds from Washington State (394-131)

Coach Dwaine Hatch, the Wing-T originator at Bellevue High School, in Washington (Predecessor to the Goncharoff Era Bellevue success)

Coach Paul Ingram, Gloucester High School (84-10)

Frequently in this forum, Lew Johnston out of Virginia (197-85)

I've been trying to reach out to these coaches and basically just ask the question, "What were some key points of your career that lead to your success?" The only one I've actually be able to contact has been Coach Dwaine Hatch, and his immediate response was awesome from a Wing-T perspective: "The Cross-Block Belly coach. That is a great play!" Followed by a lot of laughing, and reminiscing about how many times he'd ran it in a row. Though I wasn't looking necessarily for Wing-T specifics that was a lot of what Coach Hatch had to talk about. As well as an emphasis on details, sticking to the system, and getting buy-in from your players.

I'm curious if anyone on this forum knows of a coach that would fit this "consistently good program" mold that I may be able to reach out to, or if you've had the chance to work with, speak to, or listen to such a coach and you could summarize some of the key take-aways they may have to the question.
    Anyone from NY that fits this description?

Coach Jim Wright he's a must talk to if your in Tri State.....

I have worked with some great coaches around the country!

NJ: Gerry Gallagher- Delbarton...retired from Montville HS terrific on technique and will always help. I've probably worked
    50 camps with Gerry

Don Smolyn- Lenape Valley...outstanding with the basics...Buck, Belly and Belly Sweep

GA: Matt Dickmann- Harrison...I've done camps for Matt for 20 years. Started the program at Seminole Ridge in FL and had
    them in the playoffs in the 2nd year in FL highest division. Took over a great program (Bruce Cobleigh) that had hit
    rock bottom in GA's highest class and has them yearly in the playoffs.

Roger Holmes- Dublin...Herschel Moore disciple. Has done it in Tenn & GA. Just spoke at his Southeast Wing-T Clinic. It was
    outstanding. I highly recommend it. He's always willing to help.

WV: Glen McNew- Morgantown...retired. Sent his team to our camp at CMU for many years when his coaches weren't allowed.
    His players were the best behaved on campus. He won several state championships at the highest class.

FL: Richard Stuart- Belen Jesuit Prep...retired but still teaches at the school. His OC replaced him and is still running our stuff.

PA: Terry Verrelli - Wilmington...retired still lives there. 40 yrs...314 wins. Always at our clinics trying to learn and stay up to date

Scott Heinauer- Mars HS...winningest coach in Butler County history. 200+ wins. Always at our clinics at CMU

I know I've missed many coaches but these were the first that came to mind without really thinking. Hope it helps.

Rich Erdelyi

In CT Ed McCarthy who I played for and coached with. In 44 years (331-113-9) he coached at two schools, won seven state titles three with St. Joseph (1980-1982) and West Haven (1986, 1987, 1989 and 2002). He retired in 2014.
    Chris Cuomo
    Offensive Coordinator
    East Haven High School
    East Haven, CT

Thread Information