Thread: Chalk Wars Defense

Default Chalk Wars Defense

I'm preferably looking for variations of Traditional Wing T Plays only, so not: "Well line up in Empty gun and run a deep cross to the short side."

How would you attack this defense:

.....................................B.........B.. ...B.....................
    ............................CB.................... ..........................
    ................................E..S....T.....N... .E........B.......CB
    ....................................Y..T..G..C..G. .T...................X
    .................................Z............Q

...............................................F.. .....H

By the numbers you have the Strong Side End outside of our Z. That S is man on our Y, and pretty disciplined in following him wherever he goes. Strong DT aligns in B switching between a 3 and an I. Nose is shaded weak side. Weak side End is lined up in an I tech. That backer is about 3-4 yards outside of our tackle on the line. CB are in man coverage. The MLB is a stud, and reads guards pretty well.
    Bird dog on sound! Chest on your thighs...STEP, FIT, DRIVE!

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GapDownBacker View Post
    I'm preferably looking for variations of Traditional Wing T Plays only, so not: "Well line up in Empty gun and run a deep cross to the short side."

How would you attack this defense:

.....................................B.........B.. ...B.....................
    ............................CB.................... ..........................
    ................................E..S....T.....N... .E........B.......CB
    ....................................Y..T..G..C..G. .T...................X
    .................................Z............Q

...............................................F.. .....H

By the numbers you have the Strong Side End outside of our Z. That S is man on our Y, and pretty disciplined in following him wherever he goes. Strong DT aligns in B switching between a 3 and an I. Nose is shaded weak side. Weak side End is lined up in an I tech. That backer is about 3-4 yards outside of our tackle on the line. CB are in man coverage. The MLB is a stud, and reads guards pretty well.
    My first thought with 11 defenders 4 yds from the LOS is... you have to throw the ball, and you have to use formations to get a numbers advantage. If you're only going to use this formation, I would run a SE side Belly package with Slide aka Canadian motion... Slide Belly, Slide QB Belly Keep, and Slide Belly Keep Pass with a Post Wheel combo.

We are a Hybrid Wing team, so I would line up in unbalanced sets and run Rocket to death with 6 defenders between the tackles.

Default Chalk War

I'd agree: Belly series to SE side would be good. Also Power Sweep (31/39 Power in U. of Del. Playbook) is worth attacking the strong side with. But, this is not the formation I would stay in. Go "Blue" and shift the Dive Back up to the Slot. Now you have double wing. The first play I'd run is Wing Buck Sweep to the SE flank. I'd also try Trap to that weak side too.
    With that many people "in the box" you're either going to have to be happy with 3-4 yards at a time and hope you don't make any mistakes! Or... find their weakness and exploit it. Play-action passes are worth throwing too. "Don't attack walled cities!" Woody Hayes, former Ohio State Coach

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by EM44 View Post
    My first thought with 11 defenders 4 yds from the LOS is... you have to throw the ball, and you have to use formations to get a numbers advantage. If you're only going to use this formation, I would run a SE side Belly package with Slide aka Canadian motion... Slide Belly, Slide QB Belly Keep, and Slide Belly Keep Pass with a Post Wheel combo.

We are a Hybrid Wing team, so I would line up in unbalanced sets and run Rocket to death with 6 defenders between the tackles.

Curious why you like Belly in this situation--looks like the Def. has Numbers to the weakside--especially if that is a 1 tech. nose.

I would go with Power here and Power Pass (Corner by #1, Out by #2 and Flat pass by Fb) and continue to run that as it should be wide open. Who has the Deep half? Who has the flats---players that are that close to the LOS and have flat coverage are in conflict

Also--unbalanced

Both RBs on one side
    SE and TE on one side

If I'm staying with that formation, Id attack those strongside A and C gap bubbles with those modified run fits. Buck/Counter Traps, Belly XB with the TE influencing. Midline looks good too if you run it.

I'll give you 4 plays to the SE flank if you want to stay in this formation and I agree with the Post/Wheel Belly KP.

The first play would be what we used to call Cross Block Sweep. We would run it vs. a reduced front 3/5 tech with the PST down on the 3; PSG logs the 5; SE cracks the FS and FB kicks the corner hence 2 XB's thus the name.
    Vs. the front you have:
    RT blocks the 4i;RG makes a home call blocks the Nose. OC blocks away on the 3; BSG pulls and walls off; SE cracks PSILB(get 2 for 1);if he can't crack take the corner deep; RH dive for 2 yards outside the PST and wall-off 1st backer inside. If the OLB squeezes, log him. Aim for imaginary T and read the RH. If he gets through block the OLB preferably log him. LH early motion through your dive back position read blocks of FB and BSG. QB kick out @60 HO to LH as quickly as you can and boot away.

The 2nd play would be Buck Scissors:
    RT pass set the 4i and block out(if he can block down and handle the 4i run 1 hole wider and kick the OLB. Try with pass influence 1st. RG and OC double the Nose to the Mike. LG blocks the 3; LT pull and wall off; FB left foot for right foot of OC and kick-out the 4i; RH fake Buck Sweep; LH take a drop step to a 3 yd depth and round 1/2 yd inside your dive back taking inside HO and follow LT. QB reverse as on Buck Sweep...Right, Left, poke to RH and pivot on right foot with inside HO to the LH. You can run Buck XX with the same scheme but this is safer. Also if they are reading your guards the tackle pull is a false key.

The 3rd play would be our Blast play (Power with no pull with 2 double teams. People call this the DUO play) assuming the RT can handle the 4i:
    RT blocks down on the 4i; RT&OC double the Nose to the Mike; LG< double the 3 to the Sam; LH comes in Jet/Slide motion kicks out the OLB;RH dives through hole for PSILB; FB runs Belly path;QB Belly path and fakes Keep Pass. If the OLB closes run Belly Keep Pass. Who can cover the dive back in the flat?

The 4th play would be Belly Option
    Block as above and assign the FB to the Mike after his fake and the RH to the Will and Option the OLB. Try to crack with the SE and there should be no one home.

Hope this helps. I still have a lot of ideas I just ran out of years. I did win $4 today at golf! Big money.

Rich Erdelyi

Thread Information