Thread: Coach Raymond Quote: "We haven't seen an 8 man box in 15 years" How?

Default Coach Raymond Quote: "We haven't seen an 8 man box in 15 years" How?

On this video that was recently uploaded to YouTube Coach Raymond gives this quote at the 30 Minute Mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=868ydfEdDwM

"We haven't seen an 8 man box in 15 years." He talks briefly about how the #3 Defender has too much conflict and that that the flat is too open. Later during the Waggle portion of the video he talks about how the Play Action game has to be so good that teams won't dare to load it up.

Any ideas what the big conflict he's referring to on the #3 defender?

and

Can an effective play action game really force that 7-man box?

I do agree with the idea, especially that the flat is too open, but to contrast, we haven't seen a 7 man box in 5 years. However, we haven't been a great play action team either.
    Bird dog on sound! Chest on your thighs...STEP, FIT, DRIVE!

By the early to mid 90s Tubby was passing more so that's why defenses weren't loading the box and #3 Defender actions based on 82/88 down and depending on if he was playing the dive to the FB or trying to play outside contain and give up the inside. Also Tubby I quite a bit of veer option as well which I saw they had but seldom used. Also Delaware ran a nice amount of plays without a TE.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Perry View Post
    By the early to mid 90s Tubby was passing more so that's why defenses weren't loading the box and #3 Defender actions based on 82/88 down and depending on if he was playing the dive to the FB or trying to play outside contain and give up the inside. Also Tubby I quite a bit of veer option as well which I saw they had but seldom used. Also Delaware ran a nice amount of plays without a TE.
    UD ran a ton of Keep Pass from unbalanced formations and spread formations in the 90s. They also ran a lot of trap option pass. As we all know HS and college football are two different animals. HS defenders don't always react the way they are supposed to when you draw it up on the board.

As Coach Perry stated they were pretty much 50/50 Veer/Wing-t in the 80s and at the end ran a lot of Jet and zoned the Belly.
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

Thread Information