Thread: 7v7 Using the Wing T for Amateur Team in Europe

Default 7v7 Using the Wing T for Amateur Team in Europe

I am writing to ask the group what they think about using a Wing T for 7v7? Any thoughts on what variations could work for 7v7... I am an American coaching and living in France. I coach the juniors and seniors team. We only have practice 2 days a week and our physical capabilities are very weak compared to the other teams. I started with teaching the double wing with the basic concepts of dive, iso, trap, counter, and pitch. Any help would be appreciated. The other thing I wanted to ask this group is if anyone has any information or advice to obtain used equipment...practice jerseys, set of 7 pads for legs, girdle, and practice pants. I think anything else would cost too much to ship to France.

Thank you

Wing-T for 7's is alright, but definitely not the best suited for consistent success. Since my crew is a very traditional Wing-T team I don't see the value in venturing into all sorts of different stuff during our 7s, so we still run basically 100% Wing-T, and we emphasize being sharp getting in and out of the HUDL, shifting, and going on different cadence. For the most part every play we run is just a Waggle Variation, and we find that 90% of the time whoever is the Drag man is open, in spite of no play action help. Throw in some crazy shifting and/or going on first sound and we've had a lot of fun, been pretty competitive, while also focusing on what we're actually going to be doing in the season. If you send me your email I can send you the plays we focus on throughout the 7's season. Good luck!
    Bird dog on sound! Chest on your thighs...STEP, FIT, DRIVE!

Default 7 on 7

I agree... you can get a lot of good work done in 7 on 7 just running your "base" Wing T pass plays. Waggle, as mentioned, can have 5 or 6 variations. Rich Erdelyi is an expert on that! I like to throw the Keep Passes too. Our favorite, though, is working on our "Quick Fire" passes--- 1 and 3 step drop. We have a package that I think is better than anything I've ever seen! We have the ability to throw to the SE if he's open; if not, our QB can go to the TE/Wing side without missing a beat. I'd be glad to send you (any of you Wing T guys) information on it. Email me at coachlewj@gmail.com.
    Blessings,
    Lew

Quote Originally Posted by GapDownBacker View Post
    Wing-T for 7's is alright, but definitely not the best suited for consistent success. Since my crew is a very traditional Wing-T team I don't see the value in venturing into all sorts of different stuff during our 7s, so we still run basically 100% Wing-T, and we emphasize being sharp getting in and out of the HUDL, shifting, and going on different cadence. For the most part every play we run is just a Waggle Variation, and we find that 90% of the time whoever is the Drag man is open, in spite of no play action help. Throw in some crazy shifting and/or going on first sound and we've had a lot of fun, been pretty competitive, while also focusing on what we're actually going to be doing in the season. If you send me your email I can send you the plays we focus on throughout the 7's season. Good luck!
    Thank you for the information. My email is dallasfields20@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by lewjohnston View Post
    I agree... you can get a lot of good work done in 7 on 7 just running your "base" Wing T pass plays. Waggle, as mentioned, can have 5 or 6 variations. Rich Erdelyi is an expert on that! I like to throw the Keep Passes too. Our favorite, though, is working on our "Quick Fire" passes--- 1 and 3 step drop. We have a package that I think is better than anything I've ever seen! We have the ability to throw to the SE if he's open; if not, our QB can go to the TE/Wing side without missing a beat. I'd be glad to send you (any of you Wing T guys) information on it. Email me at coachlewj@gmail.com.
    Blessings,
    Lew
    Thank you Lew for the information. I sent you an email. My email is dallasfields20@gmail.com

Thread Information