Thread: 7v7 Using the Wing T for Amateur Team in Europe

Hybrid View

Default 7v7 Using the Wing T for Amateur Team in Europe

I am writing to ask the group what they think about using a Wing T for 7v7? Any thoughts on what variations could work for 7v7... I am an American coaching and living in France. I coach the juniors and seniors team. We only have practice 2 days a week and our physical capabilities are very weak compared to the other teams. I started with teaching the double wing with the basic concepts of dive, iso, trap, counter, and pitch. Any help would be appreciated. The other thing I wanted to ask this group is if anyone has any information or advice to obtain used equipment...practice jerseys, set of 7 pads for legs, girdle, and practice pants. I think anything else would cost too much to ship to France.

Thank you

Wing-T for 7's is alright, but definitely not the best suited for consistent success. Since my crew is a very traditional Wing-T team I don't see the value in venturing into all sorts of different stuff during our 7s, so we still run basically 100% Wing-T, and we emphasize being sharp getting in and out of the HUDL, shifting, and going on different cadence. For the most part every play we run is just a Waggle Variation, and we find that 90% of the time whoever is the Drag man is open, in spite of no play action help. Throw in some crazy shifting and/or going on first sound and we've had a lot of fun, been pretty competitive, while also focusing on what we're actually going to be doing in the season. If you send me your email I can send you the plays we focus on throughout the 7's season. Good luck!
    Bird dog on sound! Chest on your thighs...STEP, FIT, DRIVE!

Default 7 on 7

I agree... you can get a lot of good work done in 7 on 7 just running your "base" Wing T pass plays. Waggle, as mentioned, can have 5 or 6 variations. Rich Erdelyi is an expert on that! I like to throw the Keep Passes too. Our favorite, though, is working on our "Quick Fire" passes--- 1 and 3 step drop. We have a package that I think is better than anything I've ever seen! We have the ability to throw to the SE if he's open; if not, our QB can go to the TE/Wing side without missing a beat. I'd be glad to send you (any of you Wing T guys) information on it. Email me at coachlewj@gmail.com.
    Blessings,
    Lew

Quote Originally Posted by lewjohnston View Post
    I agree... you can get a lot of good work done in 7 on 7 just running your "base" Wing T pass plays. Waggle, as mentioned, can have 5 or 6 variations. Rich Erdelyi is an expert on that! I like to throw the Keep Passes too. Our favorite, though, is working on our "Quick Fire" passes--- 1 and 3 step drop. We have a package that I think is better than anything I've ever seen! We have the ability to throw to the SE if he's open; if not, our QB can go to the TE/Wing side without missing a beat. I'd be glad to send you (any of you Wing T guys) information on it. Email me at coachlewj@gmail.com.
    Blessings,
    Lew
    Thank you Lew for the information. I sent you an email. My email is dallasfields20@gmail.com

For many years we used Waggle as a major part of our drop back attack. We would set the QB up in "B" gap. In the 80's &90's we'd pull both guards with the PSG protecting the edge and the BSG setting up in playside A looking for any run through by the BSILB. OC had backside A, BST had backside B and the faking back had anything outside of BST. In the 2000's we blocked it Big on Big frontside, Roll/hinge backside with the FB Double read through B gap inside/out. Here are some of the patterns:
    Waggle to the SE:
    1. SE ran a Post/corner breaking it @17/15. FB flat no deeper than 4. TE read center field (Behind the LB's between the hash marks to the goal line) Get OPEN! Vs. Cov3 Hook @15 and slide to get open; Vs, Cov2 run thru CF. Wing Hook outside hash @15 Vs. Cov3; Stay vertical 2 yds outside hash vs. Cov2. QB read SE/FB high/low to CF.

2. Waggle Switch- TE/wing would switch assignments on the backside. We liked it vs. man so we could get a rub. Also this gave us a better athlete reading CF.

3. Waggle Opposite- SE same as above. TE run a diagonal 15 yds deep to opposite hash. SE hook 2 yds inside hash 15 yds deep. FB run to opposite hash 5 yards deep. WE liked it when PSILB had the FB and they tried to blitz BSILB in playside A.

Waggle to the TE:
    1. TE ran Post/Corner breaking it 17/15 if he couldn't get deep.FB flat as above. Slot read CF as above. SE hook outside hash @15 vs, Cov 3. Stay vertical 2 yds outside hash vs. Cov2. Basically trying to get 3 vertical vs. Cov2 and 3 across the board @15 vs. Cov3.

2. Waggle Dig- Delaware called it Waggle @5. TE as above. FB flat. Slot- Clear through CF. SE- Dig- 10 yds vertical; 5 yds to the post; come across flat. QB read TE/FB high low to CF high/low. Usually SE caught the ball 15 yds deep between the guards hence @5. QB had to throw it 20 yds to gain 15. Probably my favorite pass play. We used this in the Gun for those who have my playbook it was Twins left 638 Buck Sweep Throwback.

We also ran Waggle Screens to the faking back both ways. PST blocked PSILB. PSG blocked the contain(usually the corner). OC had any chase as a peel back blocker. Faking back sets to block and then pivots on his back foot toward the QB. Do not turn your back to the QB. QB sets on the Waggle and then shuffles back 2 step, gather step and throw. IF DE reads the screen, run at him. If he takes you dump the ball to the screen back. If he drops to take the screen back duck up and run between the PST/PSG blocks.

Hope this gives you a few ideas. Write or call with questions. Always glad to help.

Rich Erdelyi

Quote Originally Posted by GapDownBacker View Post
    Wing-T for 7's is alright, but definitely not the best suited for consistent success. Since my crew is a very traditional Wing-T team I don't see the value in venturing into all sorts of different stuff during our 7s, so we still run basically 100% Wing-T, and we emphasize being sharp getting in and out of the HUDL, shifting, and going on different cadence. For the most part every play we run is just a Waggle Variation, and we find that 90% of the time whoever is the Drag man is open, in spite of no play action help. Throw in some crazy shifting and/or going on first sound and we've had a lot of fun, been pretty competitive, while also focusing on what we're actually going to be doing in the season. If you send me your email I can send you the plays we focus on throughout the 7's season. Good luck!
    Thank you for the information. My email is dallasfields20@gmail.com

Thread Information