Thread: Belly QB sweep???

Default Belly QB sweep???

My focus has always been on Bucksweep and Jet and we do a really good job with those plays. The next several years I have some QBs who can run and I'd like to work on our Belly Series. Belly has worked well for us with a Jet fake but thats about it. I'm wondering if anyone runs a QB keep or QB sweep off the belly? I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to pull the TE or wing or even both as lead blockers for the QB. Would this time up? So QB reverse pivot, get deep and fake belly to FB. Playside blocks just like belly except the playside guard will Log the DE rather than kick out. Wing or TE or both will come across the formation and lead the QB around the edge?

I know a lot of teams run Belly sweep or 2nd man to the wing but My QBs can run and I'd like them to keep it and see if the wing could lead.

Coach,

The running qb in the wing t is a great weapon. Check out Delaware's down option off the belly down play. It's a double option but the cool part is if the playside guard can't log the overhang player the QB follows the fb.

For a buck sweep with the QB there's waggle run out of strong backs. Get that qb out there to attacked the flank

My two cents.
    Best of luck
    Andy Cammarano
    Spotswood

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by coachmot View Post
    My focus has always been on Bucksweep and Jet and we do a really good job with those plays. The next several years I have some QBs who can run and I'd like to work on our Belly Series. Belly has worked well for us with a Jet fake but thats about it. I'm wondering if anyone runs a QB keep or QB sweep off the belly? I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to pull the TE or wing or even both as lead blockers for the QB. Would this time up? So QB reverse pivot, get deep and fake belly to FB. Playside blocks just like belly except the playside guard will Log the DE rather than kick out. Wing or TE or both will come across the formation and lead the QB around the edge?

I know a lot of teams run Belly sweep or 2nd man to the wing but My QBs can run and I'd like them to keep it and see if the wing could lead.
    Never pulled the TE or Wing, but we ran QB Belly Sweep. We usually ran it with Rocket motion. We had the motion man insert as a lead blocker.

I have many ideas for you. Andy Cammarano's suggestion of Down Option is excellent since it is a loaded option and usually the 1st option is on an OLB or corner. He learned from his Dad, an excellent Wing-T man and friend.

I don't know if you have my video playbook but those of you that do and are interested in getting the QB on the flank should look at the QB Sprint Series. We ran a QB Sweep with a front out at 60 by the QB and a fake to the FB who takes Belly steps but we fake sprint draw. We did that because it all tied into motion to trips and our Sprint Out Package. We ran a "Back Alley" Draw and scissors counter to the slot. Several years ago we also ran a FB Joker off of this action with the BSG pulling and trapping and the slot as the wall-off.

The QB Sweep to the SE flank was basically Power blocking rules. Think Red Formation:
    SE: Run Off block man covering you
    LT: Gap-Down-Post...usually double with slot
    LG: Gap-On-Lead
    OC: Reach-On-Away
    RG: Pull flat 3 steps...beat FB...wall-off thinking safety or ILB.
    RT: Shutoff
    TE: Crossfield block back @hole. Release inside 7/9 technique. If he squeezes block him
    QB: Kick out @60. Poke to FB getting about 5 yds depth. Fake Pass as you attack the LOS.
    RH: Jet/Slide motion. Block 1st outside down block of slot...usually OLB or SS.
    LH: Gap-Lead-Backer...usually double with PST
    FB: Lead, Crossover, Square up. Fake Sprint Draw block 1st LB playside usually bouncing outside

Great vs. most fronts with no overlap on the LOS. Power Sweep blocking with PST responsible for B gap run through. All gaps are secure. If the FB can bounce it outside you have a "Student Body Left" play. I can see no reason why you can't reverse pivot the QB and fake Belly. If you are running Belly Slide this could be a terrific play. It might be terrific if you don't run Belly Slide.

We ran a pass off of it where the SE ran a takeoff, the motion/slide back ran a Banana 12-16 and the TE ran a drag @10. This put the OLB/SS in conflict since he didn't know if the slide back was blocking him (QB Sweep) or avoiding him and running the Banana. We called the sweep 19 Sweep and the Pass 19 Run or Pass. When I had Marino we only ran 19 Run or Pass. It was very safe since he always had the BSG in front of him. At Carnegie Mellon we ran more QB Sweep than RorP.

Another great play for us in the 90's before all the Jet/Rocket and Shotgun stuff was what I called Waggle Block.
    Think Blue formation but bring the LH over as a flanker so you now had TE/RH/LH. We would send the LH on a takeoff, release the TE on the 12-16 yd Banana, drag the SE @10 and FB in the flat as normal through the B gap. It was all break contain waggle rules except the wing(RH) blocked down on the 9 tech securing the flank. We usually get both guards out in front of the QB. Since there was no back to fake to, the QB took his first 2 steps and then it was just sprint pass right. If I called this play 50 times over 3 or 4 years we probably only threw it 3 times and always to the TE. The rest of the time it was a QB sweep. You could call it that if you wanted to eliminate the pass option part of it. To the TE flank from this formation we also ran Down, Down KP, Down Pass TB and trap. To the SE flank we kept them honest with a 3 step drop and boot TE, FB Joker, Wing scissors, and a 5 step "Choice" pattern to the SE with a TE drag, wing reading CF and a hook @15 by the flanker...This being an old Run&Shoot play from my USFL days.

Hope this gives you some "out of the box" ideas. Call or write with questions. Always glad to help.

Rich Erdelyi

Thread Information