Thread: Belly Sweep

Default Belly Sweep

What are the rules for the belly sweep? Also, what are the pro's and con's to adding this to the offense? Is it hard to install? We currently run the belly, tack. trap off the belly, and play action off of belly? Just trying to figure out if it would be beneficial to add the belly sweep. Thanks,

2. Default Down and Belly Sweep

Bellevue ran both with great success
    Metz is a great source.
    I have it on my Changes in wing t to win DVD
    E mail and ask for my attachments at clkb5401@comcast.net
    It is definitely worth having if you run Belly and down
    Chuck Klausing

Coach Klausing...thank you for the kind words.
    As for the belly sweep:
    Why do you want to add this to your offense? Well, it attacks the defense one hole wider than the belly, so LBers who attack the FB on belly end up tackling air. If you don't run belly option, it's a great little compliment to the belly. With the FB's fake cutback, that can actually freeze the LBer giving your PSHB an opportunity to possibly block a 3rd level player. It also goes with the progression. If you have down, down sweep and down keep pass to the strong side, it's nice to have belly, belly sweep and belly keep pass to the weak to balance things out.
    I have the belly sweep posted on my site: Belly Sweep .
    That is how we ran it, the few times that we did.
    Shoot me an e-mail if you have anymore questions.
    Coach Metz
    Good luck,
    Metz
    Marcelo Metzelar
    www.coachmetz.com
    coachmetz.proboards85.com

We replaced the Belly Option with the Belly/Down Sweep prior to the 2007 season for the sole purpose of ensuring more touches for our HB's (one in particular). We had studied how Bellevue ran the play, but to simplify it for ourselves, we blocked the playside just like Buck Sweep (gap-down-LB and pulled the PSG). The play was very successful for us averaging 8.06 yards per play on 63 snaps.

Two advantages that we saw over the Buck Sweep were: 1) It was a great short-yardage and goalline play for us because of the single, playside pulling guard with the FB filling for him (very secure against pressure defenses) and 2) The playside fake seemed to help the HB's with their down blocks by enticing the DE to close to the inside.

It was a great play for us, and I wish you good luck.

Coaches,

How would you compare the "Belly Sweep" to the "Double Dive / Inside Belly" play that Augustana used to run? Is it basically just the same thing, except with "Down" blocking?

I could not open Coach Metz's pdf file, so I am having trouble visualizing the play.

I don't know anything about Augustana, but here is a link to some of our Belly Sweep clips from 2007: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...20736660&hl=en

Coach,
    do you have adobe reader? sometimes people try to check it at a different computer and don't realize that they don't have adobe reader.
    Otherwise, e-mail me. I'll send it to you one way or another.
    Metz

Quote Originally Posted by lochness
    Coaches,

How would you compare the "Belly Sweep" to the "Double Dive / Inside Belly" play that Augustana used to run? Is it basically just the same thing, except with "Down" blocking?

I could not open Coach Metz's pdf file, so I am having trouble visualizing the play.
    Marcelo Metzelar
    www.coachmetz.com
    coachmetz.proboards85.com

Thread Information