Thread: Attaching Odd and Even front defenses

Default Attaching Odd and Even front defenses

I need some help, please! I got into a discussion with a Wing T coach yesterday. We couldn't agree on the old "Rule of Thumb"--- that I think Denny Creehan first presented.

Which way is correct?

1- ODD front--- attack off tackle first. EVEN front--- attack outside first (find a flank)

OR

2- Odd front--- attack outside first. Even front--- attack inside (off tackle) first.

Which one, in your mind/memory, is correct?

HELP!!!

2. Default

http://www.bucksweep.com/creehan53.htm

Wing-t teams have traditionally had a great deal of difficulty attacking these defensive spacings because they have elected to stay in traditional wing formations with a tight end wingback on one side and a split end diveback on the other side. By doing this, offensive coaches are playing right into the defensive coaches hands. Why? Because the free safety favors the tight end side so that he can cover the tight end when the defense elects to blitz. As soon as the tight end blocks the free safety is in the run support and tile offensive coach has created another linebacker. The corner is also rolled up to the tight end wingback side and he is assigned to cover the wingback when they blitz. When the wingback blocks another additional linebacker has been created. By now the offense is hopelessly outnumbered but many coaches stubbornly continue to try to force the bucksweep and other tight end wingback plays into bad numbers.

Many coaches are trying to prove the merits of the wing-t and the bucksweep series and remain convinced that this is the answer to all defensive problems. The wing-t is not a formation or a series of plays. It is a four back system for moving the ball that is based on creating assignment conflicts for the defense. If the defense reacts a certain way they open themselves up for companion plays. Nowhere in any wing-t book will you find the wing-t defined as the bucksweep series or a wing formatiol1. With that in mind how can we attack these defensive spacings?

The first thing we must do is keep the free safety and strong side corners back in their deep zones and out of the core. Lets not turn an eight-man front into a ten-man front! How do we accomplish this? We must spread the defense out! If we spread the tight end or take him out of the game and line up with two spread ends the corner will widen and the free safety will be forced back into the middle of the field. (Later I will discuss some formation variations using both split ends on the same side.)

The second adjustment is to put both halfbacks in wingback positions. This will cause the stacked outside linebackers to make a decision to allow the wingbacks to out leverage them in the flat or widen and allow the off tackle or internal runs. The defensive ends must decide if they are going to be contain conscious or if they will be responsible to cover the flat and allow the outside linebackers to contain. The 3-3 Stack defense will cover the flats with the defensive ends that have been replaced by defensive backs. All of the above mentioned defenses would deploy their alignments in a similar fashion so we can attack all of them with the same philosophy. There will be some slight b1ockjng adjustments but the basics of the plan will be the same for all of than. (Diagram 1)

Now that we have put the defense in a bind by alignment we will begin our attack. Lets remember that we are still running the wing-t even though we are not in tight end wingback formations! We will put the defense in assignment conflicts and their reactions will determine our next play. We will only need to run two series to defeat this defense- the belly series and the buck series. The difference is that when we run the buck series we will use the trap option rather than the sweep to begin the attack.

The starting point for the belly series is the belly keep pass. The quarterback should fake to the fullback and be ready to throw the ball into the flat quickly. If the defensive end is assigned to contain the quarterback the wingback will out leverage the outside linebacker in the flat. The outside linebacker cannot stop this play unless he widens and then we will begin to run inside. If he does not widen then keep running this play until you score fifty points. If the defensive end covers the flat then the quarterback shou1d be able to run the ball all day because the blockers at the flank can turn in on the stacked outside linebacker who must now contain. (Diagram 2)

Default Odd vs. Even

Thanks Coach Culloty!!!

Default Rule of Thumb

Quote Originally Posted by lewjohnston View Post
    I need some help, please! I got into a discussion with a Wing T coach yesterday. We couldn't agree on the old "Rule of Thumb"--- that I think Denny Creehan first presented.

Which way is correct?

1- ODD front--- attack off tackle first. EVEN front--- attack outside first (find a flank)

OR

2- Odd front--- attack outside first. Even front--- attack inside (off tackle) first.

Which one, in your mind/memory, is correct?

HELP!!!
    I Like Off Tackle vs Odd and Outside Vs Even

Thread Information