Thread: Stunting DL

Default Stunting DL

We play a team that really likes to line up in a 5-3 set with the tackles aligned in a 3, 0, 3 look. They will often times run a stunt with one of the DTs and the Nose where the 3 crosses face with the guard and the nose loops around to replace him. This can cause big issues on Belly where we're cross blocking. Most of the time the Nose ends up getting picked up by our H, and one of the LBs get a free run through. Any ideas on coaching principles for this? I've considered the idea of repping blocking an area as opposed to a man. Now the tackle would end up blocking down the Nose and the Center would pick up the DT. Guard would still pull and KO the DE. I feel like if we just repped this a bunch the kids could figure it out. Belly is an essential play for us, so it has to hit. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Bird dog on sound! Chest on your thighs...STEP, FIT, DRIVE!

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GapDownBacker View Post
    We play a team that really likes to line up in a 5-3 set with the tackles aligned in a 3, 0, 3 look. They will often times run a stunt with one of the DTs and the Nose where the 3 crosses face with the guard and the nose loops around to replace him. This can cause big issues on Belly where we're cross blocking. Most of the time the Nose ends up getting picked up by our H, and one of the LBs get a free run through. Any ideas on coaching principles for this? I've considered the idea of repping blocking an area as opposed to a man. Now the tackle would end up blocking down the Nose and the Center would pick up the DT. Guard would still pull and KO the DE. I feel like if we just repped this a bunch the kids could figure it out. Belly is an essential play for us, so it has to hit. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    I would run Power until that stopped---the stunting v. Power can create a lot of problems for the Def in regards to fits. Once Power is established the stunting and/or blitzing should stop and you can then attack how you see fit...see Belly

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Culloty View Post
    I would run Power until that stopped---the stunting v. Power can create a lot of problems for the Def in regards to fits. Once Power is established the stunting and/or blitzing should stop and you can then attack how you see fit...see Belly
    Power being essentially Buck Sweep with no SG guard pull and the FB at the KO?
    Bird dog on sound! Chest on your thighs...STEP, FIT, DRIVE!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GapDownBacker View Post
    Power being essentially Buck Sweep with no SG guard pull and the FB at the KO?
    It hits faster than Buck Sweep. We had QB take the ball directly to TB, not on midline. TB's path is also more direct. FB kicks out and BSG leads into the hole.

Thread Information