Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocket Intercept

Question Rocket Intercept

The rocket intercept: as the rocket WB goes flying by one way, the other WB catches the QB's pitch (which is shortened) and runs a counter.

Did I make this up?

I'd swear I read about it somewhere. Is it something Tom Herman does, or maybe Coach Diericx?
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

2. Exclamation

It's called Laser and its been around a few years.

Default We run it

It's a big gainer for us when people start flying to stop the rocket. We trap the DE and sometimes lead with the FB.

Quote Originally Posted by SetHut
    It's called Laser and its been around a few years.
    Since it has been around for a few years, then that helps explain how I had heard about it.

Herman? Diericx? Everybody but me?

I'll search for laser. Thanks.
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

5. Default

It was a big topic of discussion 3 years ago on this site on the old message board. Coach Chuck Klausing would be a great resource for you to contact. I think this is still a valid email address for him: "clkb5401@earthlink.net". He's visits this site as often as he can.

I've never countered Rocket with an intercept play, but have run it with an inside handoff from QB after toss fake.

We block it like power, kickout with the FB or BSG, and lead through with the BST. It is a great play- especially if you get vertical movement on that POA double team!

7. Default Lazer or KF79

An NFL team gave me a Quality Control study of a motion they were seeing in College Football. They sent me 50 tapes a option teams with what was called Rocket Motion. I taught it at my camps,spoke at clinics and wrote articles on the motion. About 5 plus years ago I was talking at a small H S clinic in N C and a coach came up after my talked and handed a diagram of the intercept play off Rocket motion. Our camp teams put it in with great success and we had to come up with a name. Someone suggested Lazer.A short time later I was visiting at Cliff Montgomerys home. Cliff was the Columbia Q B who beat Stanford in the 1935 Rose Bowl. On his wall was a diagram of the reverse play that won the game. It was called KF79.There is nothing new in football. The old Round Ball in 1935 gets more narrow so it is easier to center snap and to teach a good running back to pass. This might be why Wing T teams are dropping the Q B back 4-5 yards behind the center.
    Chuck Klausing

Coach,
    Check jetsweep.com
    Wes Elrod had this posted a while back. He was the first guy I heard run this play. I'm not sure of his terms, but he does not call it lazor.

We Block it the following way usually run from a dbl slot look:

PST, PSG - down block
    C - Head up to away
    BSG - Settle block (allow the BST to pull)
    BST - pull and ream
    FB - Kick out (just like power)
    RH - Fake rocket Left (Sell it as if the pitch went over your head!!)
    LH - Rocket step ctach SOFT pitch from QB cut up inside of FB's KO.
    Qb - Reverse pivot soft pitch to LH fake, bootleg/waggle

I know some others block it like power (BSG & FB leading and kicking out)
    Chris Cuomo
    Offensive Coordinator
    East Haven High School
    East Haven, CT

9. Default

We ran this play a few years ago. Because of how it looks, we call it the Power Pick-off. The reason is that we alread use the word "Laser" for one of our base plays.

Highly effective, but over the years we modify it to something that makes me a little less nervous to run. OJW

Great responses!

Thanks for the help.
    wingtcoach.com
    @wingtcoachdon
    #wingtchat

Thread Information