Thread: attacking the te side b gap

Default attacking the te side b gap

Out of 100 (wing right te right) formation, what plays do you run in B gap? We see a lot of dts in the te side A gap, de in C gap, sam LB outside shoulder the te. I know I should be going away from the te, but that B gap looks good to hit. What can you do in there?

Belly XB ... just have the TE block base.
    It ends up being more of a true fold instead of an X block.
    Or you can double team and still have the iso block, if you align the HB to the TE.
    Good luck,
    Metz
    Marcelo Metzelar
    www.coachmetz.com
    coachmetz.proboards85.com

Default 182 Down and 132 power

I am facing this exact thing this week. My game plan is to use 182 Down and 132 power. If the DE is lining up in the C gap, have the TE block down along with the Tackle. Pull the playside guard to kick out and have RH influence first man outside TE.

132 Power Playside guard has gap, release tackle on backer, and have TE influence and block right. The backside guard will pull and wall off.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkGreen]Jamie Auch
    Looking....

4. Default

At the middle school level we ran a play where the wing back would fold back inside, and lead up thru B gap with the full back, half back would get the ball. Basically an Iso play with 2 lead blockers though. Guard block down on tackle, tackle and TE turn out on the DE and Sam.

So, your advocating a 133 on or blast play. What about a play to trap the 5 tech? Does anyone know how to run a 123 hb trap? Or does anyone run it?

Yes, we call it Scissors Trap, and basically make it a long trap to the first DL on outside the OT to TE/WB. Rules are the exact same as trap EXCEPT we really ask the PsOG/OT combo to get a good vertical push on the 3-technique DT. HB must stay tight to the outside leg of OG. Has been a very good play for us this year so far.

We originally ran it as ISO with HB following FB over the OC, but found too much congestion, and the B-gap seemed to open more naturally.

Hi, I just want to get the 123 scissor trap play rules right.

BST- cutoff
    BSG - trap 1st person past PST
    C- Block away -on
    PSG- Glock gap-on-down
    PST- Block gap-down-backer
    PSTE- Block ILB
    PSWB- block OLB or FS???
    FB- fake block weak A gap
    QB- underneath handoff to HB
    HB- take underneath handoff through playside B gap

Is this right? Do you have any clips on youtube of it? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by coachie
    Hi, I just want to get the 123 scissor trap play rules right.

BST- cutoff
    BSG - trap 1st person past PST
    C- Block away -on
    PSG- Glock gap-on-down
    PST- Block gap-down-backer
    PSTE- Block ILB
    PSWB- block OLB or FS???
    FB- fake block weak A gap
    QB- underneath handoff to HB
    HB- take underneath handoff through playside B gap

Is this right? Do you have any clips on youtube of it? Thanks.
    Sorry, nothing on YouTube to share...the only differences for us from the scheme you outlined is with the PsOG/OT. We have them combo and get movement on the 3-tech vs. an even front. Against odd fronts the PsOG/OC work the combo. FB vs. even front stays on midline and fills over OC to BsLB. Against odd front he stays in the backside A-gap for LB. PsWB we send to the FS as OLB will usually be playing sweep. IF we get "readers" vs. "penetrators" at the interior DT positions (44/43 G-scheme) we tell PsOG to work immediately to MLB/BsILB and have the PsOT block down on the 3-tech on his own, as the DT will close hard to stop trap and basically make the block for him.

9. Default

the two things we would do is trap the end just a base trap but tell him we are going wide. the second is something like blast open it up and lead through there!!!.
    Javier Valdes
    Head Football Coach
    Mater Academy Lions
    coachjavi71@yahoo.com
    Miami, FL

Thread Information