Thread: New to Wing T

1. Default New to Wing T

I have evaluated 3 teams that have failed with the Wing T.None of them has started or stayed to perfect the base.They might start with the 20 series and not stay and perfect it. They jump to more advanced and get too much offense.
    My suggestion is to stay with the 20s,30s and 80s Stay at first with perhaps 10 plays and master them.
    I am an advocate of Changes in the Wing T to win but not changes to have too much offense.
    Chuck Klausing

Good Point coach. The traditional Wing-T is still great offense and very effective.

Bryan
    Bryan Schaumloffel
    Bucksweep.com and Spreademandshredem.com

3. Default

Some schools, Parents, and Players think this is the NFL. A program goes in place and doesn't produce spectacular fruit..so they want to throw it out (Or you out) and try something else. I noticed a thread on hear called Fired just a bit ago, this guy in his second season of the program went from 8-4 to a much less winning record and was asked to step down. I installed the Wing-T in a youth program this past season, went 1-7 but established great roots for the program. The Parents and Boosters made it so bad on my staff (Volunteer Staff) that I announced my resignation at the end of the season. They are not willing to give the program a chance. I know another Varsity Program in Mercer County, Pa that installed the Wing T as a new coaching staff and they have taken all kinds of flack over the W/L record, however they have stood their ground and I hope will continue the program as they intended. My specific case, This program I just left will go back to an I formation offense. I guess my point is that some coaches make moves for desperation and the need to succeed. We ran a core of 12 Plays our Base was Buck Sweep (Not easy to coach at a Youth Level), but we taught the program and I believe they are better football players because of it. What advise would you give to programs in this situation? Is it a case that was suggested in the FIRED Thread, that maybe you are coaching in the wrong place?

Any coach that is going to run an offense dictated to him by the fans or boosters deserves what he gets. Lombardi said that people are up in the stands because they don't know enough to be on the sideline (paraphrase). If you believe in a system (spread, wing-t, whatever) then install it and stick with it. If you are not winning, it isn't because the offensive system is broken in most cases. If you listen to the "boosters" and change the offense, what's next? Will they tell you who to start? The first thing I say in my pre-season parent and booster meeting is there are two subjects off limits...playing time and strategy. If they don't like the way things are done, they can apply for the job the next time it's open and do what they want. Until them, I make the decsions and that is just the way it works.
    I guess my answer if you are in that situation is to say "who cares what they think" and do what YOU think is best.

5. Default

Like the saying goes ... "If you start listening to the people in the stands, pretty soon you'll be up there with them."

6. Default

I may have leaned a bit off the topic. Great Points Coaches, I truely understand your comments. I recognized a program that was not going to wait for the results Wing T can produce, rather than deal with a revolt, I respectfully resigned.

More so, I wanted to express the point of why some coaches move from their base prior to seeing the results.

"None of them has started or stayed to perfect the base" as coach Klausing mentioned.

When results do not come quickly they attempt to move into another dynamic of the offense, rather than sticking to base and seeing it through. I believe you can adjust the Offense to your player’s strengths, but your base is your base is your base.

The point of the other comments was, a coach may feel self inflicted pressure to show results. Parents and Boosters can complain all they want, a coaches level to perform and be effective as a coach is far more important than the clutter of the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by tcm57
    Like the saying goes ... "If you start listening to the people in the stands, pretty soon you'll be up there with them."
    LOL Like that saying there.
    www.coachbigb.com
    (Host/Producer-The Red Zone Show)

Thread Information